Will It Be Forever

Part Nine- Taking A Step Forward

Matt smiled to himself as he left AJ’s bar. He stuck his hands in his pockets and he couldn’t believe that he got the balls to actually ask her. “I think you did a good thing…” Matt felt his heart sink down to the pits of his stomach. God, he felt like he was going to get sick. “Oh no,” he heard her voice again, “I don’t think that’s a good idea…”

“Val…” He whispered. His eyebrows furrowed together as he brought up a hand and rubbed the middle of his forehead to get rid of the increasing tension of the threatening headache to come. Did he do something bad?

What had he been thinking? He couldn’t go on a date with another chick. Not after… Matt shook his head. He was still hearing her voice. He wasn’t ready to go out with AJ. “Don’t cancel Matt! What are you thinking?” He got to his car and looked around. He wanted to yell and scream, kick something… Punch something. He sighed and ran a hand over his face.

“What do you expect me to think?” He demanded in a low growl. He glanced up at the sky but was only met with the black vastness decorated with tiny stars and the moon. He had never felt so confused before. “You’re only talking to yourself Matt,” he told himself and then he got into his car.

He closed the door behind him and leaned his head against the steering wheel. Matt closed his eyes and relaxed slightly. He did miss her more than anything. He treasured getting the chance to hear her voice because he felt like she was still with him even in the after life. Why would he want to let go of that? He wouldn’t. Otherwise he’d be insane.

He brought up a hand and rubbed his right temple. “Val…” He started, “Why? Why tease me?”

“I’m not trying to hurt you Matt…”

“Then what are you trying to do?”

“I’m only trying to help…”

Matt opened his mouth to say something but was only met with a pounding sound next to him. He jumped and turned his head to see AJ there. Val you have a sick sense of humor… He swallowed hard and smiled at her for a bit as he rolled down the window to talk to her. “Hey,” he started and he heard her let out a small giggle.

“Sorry,” she said, “I guess it was my turn to scare you…” Matt shook his head. If only she knew, right? She brought up a hand with a piece of paper in it and that was when he realized what it was. He had forgotten her number at the bar. He smiled sheepishly as she gave him the paper. “Didn’t want you to forget that,” she said quietly.

Matt let out a laugh this time. “I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I don’t know where my head’s at…” He scratched the back of his neck nervously and then nodded slightly. “I’ll see you later.” He waved the piece of paper in his hand. “Call you later?”

AJ nodded. “Bye Matt.” She smiled and turned away to go back inside of them bar. Matt couldn’t help but watch her go inside. Once she disappeared from his line of sight, he glanced upwards.

“Trying to help?” He asked. “Is she what you consider my help?” He waited around for a moment, wondering if he’d get a response. When he got nothing, he started up the car and drove out of the parking lot. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

-Time Relapse-

“Whatcha dooooing?”

Matt didn’t have to look up to know whose voice that belonged to. He felt the piece of paper get snatched away from his hand and he let out a groan. “Brian,” he started, letting his friend know he was highly agitated. “Give me that shit back.” Brian started to read the paper and he raised an eyebrow.

“Oh so you’re calling AJ’s number shit?” He teased. Matt didn’t want to go through this. He felt like kicking off his shoe and throwing it at his friend. His eyes narrowed at Brian and he flipped him off before snatching it back.

“You’re such a shit head.”

Brian plopped down on the couch next to him and flashed a smile. “That’s why most people love me,” he said in a ‘matter of fact’ tone. Matt shook his head, wanting to ask him if he was sure of that. “You seem a lot happier,” Brian noted. Was he serious?

“Don’t you have something to do?” He asked him.

Brian shook his head and his face looked so serious. “No,” he told him in a flat voice and then flashed another grin. Oh dear God. Matt lifted his hand and smacked Brian in the back of the head.

“Leave me alone so I can call her.”

Brian patted his head and turned on the TV. “Look the volumes on low,” he said, “I promise to keep my mouth shut.” Yeah, he had a hard time believing that.

“Jerk.”

“Pussy.”

Matt chuckled and he dialed AJ’s number. He hoped that it wasn’t too early to call. He didn’t want to seem desperate. “Just relax,” Val told him. His eyebrows furrowed together for a moment and he sucked in a deep breath. Yes ma’am, he thought to himself as he dialed her number and got up from the couch, hearing Brian making kissing noises behind him.

There were only three rings before AJ picked up. “Hello?” He heard her ask.

“Hey,” Matt started, “It’s Matt.” He glanced behind him towards Brian was watching TV. Matt would bet anything that he was listening in.

“Hey,” she started, “Nice hearing your voice. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if you could get someone to cover your shift tonight, so we could go out…” Jesus he felt like he was in high school again. He glanced up at the ceiling as his foot tapped onto the ground.

“I can do that,” she told him, “What time to you want to meet me?”

“How’s seven?”

“Seven it is.” They said their good byes and Matt hung up the phone. He slipped it back into his pocket and turned around to see Brian looking at him with his arm slumped over the back of the couch. “What?” Matt asked him and he started to chuckle.

“Matt’s getting it on tonight!”

“Shut up.”