Emilee

Forty Five

Max’s P.O.V:

I’d been practicing bass for the band when someone knocked on my door, Craig perhaps. I managed to slowly drag myself away from my music to answer it.

“Ohh, Anna. What did you want?” I was surprised to see Anna standing in my door way, her car outside my house. She was supposed to be with Emilee, I’d thought.

“I’m sorry to bother you Max...but I need to talk to you.” I waited for her to continue. “Uhh, can I come in?”

“Ohh, sorry yea.” I let her past and closed the door behind me. “Sorry for the mess.” She giggled. She had an adorable giggle.

“That’s okay.” She hung her coat on the back of the door.

“So umm...Emilee said she was going to Craig’s house tonight. I was just wondering if you knew...”

“I didn’t.” I thought about why Anna would think I’d need to know that. Nothing came to mind. Anna sighed as she brushed past me to sit on the couch, her arm grazing against mine. I couldn’t get over how cold her skin was. It gave me a shiver. “Why should it matter?”

“Max...I think she may be umm...cheating on you...” I let Anna’s words sink in for a moment. Emilee wouldn’t do that. Nor would Craig. He was my best friend.

“I don’t think I have anything to worry about...”

“She’s over there pretty late,” Anna said. “And she’s always telling me how cute he is, and he’s always sending her cute messages...but don’t tell her I said anything.” I looked at her questionably before getting up to find my phone. I dialled Craig’s number and waited for him to pick up.

“Hello?” he said.

“Hey Craig, is Emilee there?” I asked.

“Ohh hey Max! Yeah, she’s here.”

“Uhh...can you make sure she gets home safe?”

“Okay.”

“And soon?”

“Okay.”

“And untouched.” My tone turned a little bitter.

“Wait, what?”

“You heard me Craig. Is something going on between you two?”

“No!”

“Have you been sending her cute messages?”

“No, why would I do that,” he said, a little shocked.

“Anna told me what’s going on.”

“Well you can tell her to shove it up her...”

“Hey! Don’t talk about her like that!”

“Okay!”

“Stop hitting on my girl Mabbitt.”

“Whatever...”

“Don’t tell Emilee Anna’s said anything...I’ll talk to her tomorrow about it all.”

“Fuck off, I’ll tell her what I want.” Craig hung up on me.

“That fuck!” I yelled, startling Anna. “Sorry...” I felt tears sting my eyes, threatening to fall.

“It’ll be okay Max.” Anna said softly, coming over and placing a hand on my back. Another shiver made its way down my spine. My phone started ringing. I looked to the caller ID to see it was Craig again.

“Dude, you hung up on me!” I yelled.

“It’s not Craig.” Emilee’s voice was dull.

“Ohh. What are you doing there Emilee? It’s getting a bit late...”

“I’m allowed to have friends Max! It seems you do!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“You and Anna been chatting a bit, hey?”she spat. I looked to Anna, and she smiled. “I’m here because you never helped Craig with his Math homework.”

“Whatever Emilee, we all know you suck at Math.” I regretted what I’d said the instant it left my mouth. “Shit hun, I didn’t mean to sound like such a...”

“You jerk!” she yelled. “You seriously believe some stupid story about me and Craig sneaking off together!?”

“I can’t believe she’s even trying to deny this Max...have you seen the way she looks at him?” Anna whispered.

“Then why couldn’t you help him in class?” I asked Emilee.

“In case you haven’t noticed Max...Craig hasn’t been in class! He’s been home sick!”

“Ohh yea...” I felt like a right idiot.

“You sit next to him for fucks sake, how could you not notice that!?”

“Have you been staring at me too much Max?” Anna whispered, cocking her eyebrow. My face went red. She’d caught me staring once on Wednesday. I hadn’t meant anything from it. I had Emilee...

“Max, who else is there with you?” Emilee asked. Shit.

“No one,” I replied, my eyes wide.

“Is she there?” Anna giggled at the trouble I was now in. “You fucking hypocrite!”

“She’s only here because she was worried about us!” I defended.

“Then tell her to leave and stop worrying!” she yelled.

“Don’t be so rude. I’ll invite over whoever I want.”

“Yea, and I’ll be friends with whoever I want!”I was hung up on again. I sighed in frustration and went to sit down beside Anna on the couch.

“How rude of her, hanging up on you. I thought she loved you?” Anna asked.

“She does,” I defended. “She isn’t doing anything with Craig...surely. I mean, do you really believe she would?”

“From the way she spoke about him earlier today...” Anna looked away from me.

“What do you mean?” I asked, leaning in a little closer.

“Well she said she couldn’t wait to get to his tonight. She said she’d have loads of fun for once whilst doing maths, then added a little wink.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Emilee loved me, not Craig. She’d never hurt me like that.

“E-Emilee wouldn’t d-do this to me,” I stuttered. I realised I was crying.

“Max, I’d not lie to you. I think you need to talk to Emilee.” Anna reached her hand up to wipe away my tears before she got up and grabbed her coat.

“Please don’t go,” I whispered. More tears fell, and I wanted Emilee to be the one here telling me everything would be okay. Anna put her coat back and sat beside me once again. She wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me tight. She was such a lovely girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update coming either tonight or tomorrow :)