Emilee

Forty Six

I woke up and stretched from a restless sleep, glancing out the window and onto the road where Anna’s red car was still parked. I frowned and tried my hardest not to grind my teeth as I found something to wear and fixed my hair a little. I headed out across the street to Max’s at god only knows what hour in the morning, standing in the freezing cold as I waited for him to answer the door. His parents were away for the night. Convenient, I thought. He answered with no shirt and a sleepy look plastered across his face, and I had to forcefully hold back my smile. He looked adorable.

“Emilee?” He rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

“Max, why is her car still here?” I asked softly.

“What time is it?” he mumbled, looking away from me.

“I don’t know. Max, this is important.”

“She stayed the night. I...I didn’t want to be alone in the state I was...”

“You have a go at me for helping Craig with math, yet think it’s fine to have other girls sleep at yours!?” He cringed at my yelling. There was a short silence, in which all I could hear was Max’s shallow breathing. “Can I come in? It’s cold...” Max hesitated, so I pushed past him. I stopped as I passed the lounge room, noticing Max’s shirt on the floor and a sleeping Anna on the couch.

“Did you...” I blinked back the tears forming small pools in my eyes.

“Nothing happened, gees...” Max said.

“But you slept on the same couch,” I whispered. I felt the tears form small trails down my cheeks. Max looked away from me. “You have a thing for her, don’t you?”

“Emilee, I love you,” he said, trying to grab my hands. I pulled them back.

“But you have a thing for her!” I yelled. “I knew it...I can’t believe this...”

“I don’t have a thing for anyone but you!” Max yelled at me. “You’re jealous, aren’t you...”

“Of course I’m jealous! You slept on the same couch as another girl last night as I was crying myself to sleep alone!”

“Well you went to Craig’s to help him with math, despite being probably worse at it than he is! That’s the worst excuse I’ve ever heard...”

“You seriously believe we’ve been together behind your back?” I knew this was a hopeless fight. He didn’t want to listen.

“I think you were jealous of Anna, and wanted to get to me,” Max said bitterly. “I’ve seen the way you look at him at band practice.”

“Well that’s funny, because my eyes always seem glued to you. I barely ever look at Craig, unless he fucks up his lyrics...” I can’t believe he’s taking her side in this.

“Don’t lie to me Emilee, I know what I saw.” He turned to go up to his room. I followed him up a few minutes later after trying to compose myself. I’d failed miserably. I entered his room with tears streaming down my face, soon noticing that his expression matched mine.

“Emilee, I can’t do this anymore. I don’t want to be lied to and cheated on,” he whispered.

“So this is it? You’re gonna take the word of a near stranger over mine?” Max paused and blinked a few times.

“I don’t think I have a choice.”

“That’s stupid! Or course you have a choice!” I cried. “I’m not lying to you Max. Craig is a friend, nothing more.” He went to speak but my phone beeped, interrupting him. I sighed and checked who the fuck was messaging me this early.

“Emm I’m sorry for what’s happened, I feel awful. I didn’t mean to get you into trouble. Next time we’ll do it at yours and gees, don’t tell Anna. Xx Craig.”

“Who the hell is messaging you so early?” Max asked, amazed.

“No one.” I put my phone back in my pocket.

“It was Craig, wasn’t it?” Great, now what was I to do? “You fuckin’ liar...”

“Yes it was, what’s that to you? He’s a friend Max,” I said.

“Can I read what he said?” Max asked, holding out his hand.

“No? Why is it any of your business?” I asked.

“Why won’t you let me?” I realised I wasn’t going to win so I handed him my phone. I watched him grow angry as he read. Why was he angry? It was just a text. “Next time we’ll do it at yours!? What the fuck Emilee!”

“Homework, Max! Next time he’ll come to mine to do it so you’re just next door!”

“Whatever, like I’ll believe that. Get out. I have to get ready for school,” Max said coldly.

“Max, I love you...” I whispered. It fell upon death ears as he turned and left for the bathroom. I carefully made my way downstairs, almost tripping several times due to all the tears blurring my vision. I noticed that Anna had left by the time I got to the lounge room and made my way through the door. I wasn’t going to school today. I slipped back into bed and cried myself to sleep, again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this is so short for what happened :O

I've been busy emailing LOADS of people to try get emails and names of people that want Deathstars to come to Adelaide, Australia so that we can see them...
Check 'em out if you don't know who they are :)

Thanks for reading :)