Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 21

Chapter 21
The water was freezing and there were things floating in it. I jumped in and held my breath swimming into Abby’s ruined apartment that was now underwater. I swam out the window. I was swimming on the road. There was Gerard’s limp body. His hair swirled around in little spirals around his head. I swam for him. I wasn’t alone. An alligator was swimming close to Gerard. I stopped for a minute. Then I regained speed and swam over to Gerard. The alligator came over, faster than I could swim away with Gerard. Do I punch him in the nose? Or is that a shark? I guess it’s worth a try. I punched the thing in the nose. It didn’t do anything but make it angrier. I guess that was a shark. Then I saw the piece of wood Gerard hit his head on floating a couple inches above me on the surface. I couldn’t leave Gerard helpless with that thing near him, but he was losing life before my eyes. I swam fast to the surface.
“Miss Rank! Come in the boat!” the man cried. I grabbed the wood and dove back down. The alligator was circling around Gerard. I took the plank and smacked it in the back of the head. It looked at me and seemed to smile at me. As if to saying “bring it on.” I felt my eyes narrowing into slits. This thing wanted to take Gerard from me when I was about to get him back.
I discovered that in a matter of seconds I was beating the thing with every inch of anger I had and soon the alligator was flooding above me, dead. I grabbed Gerard and started swimming to the surface. I was losing my breath and getting dizzy, but I kept swimming. I made it to the surface.
“Maira!” Annie called from the roof. I handed Gerard’s limp body over to the guy.
“He’s not breathing!” the guy said putting his ear to Gerard’s mouth. I pulled myself into the boat.
“Don’t leave me baby.” I said performing CPR on him. I pinched his nose and breathed sweet air into his lungs for him. I put my head to his chest, nothing. I did it again….. Nothing. “Well, start the boat!” I yelled at the poor man.
“Yes, yes. Right away.” He said starting it up.
“Come on Gee, don’t leave me.” I said breathing into him again. Noth-wait! He was starting to cough. I leaned him over on his side so the water could come out of his lungs.
“That was a graceful moment for me.” He said smiling weakly at me.
“Awww, sugar…” I said hugging him. “Go back to sleep. I’m here. I’m not leaving.” I said letting him fall back asleep. I curled up into a tight ball to try and keep myself warm and drifted into a deep sleep.
“She’s been out for a long time.”
“Yes, but so has her fiancé.”
“Are they both stable?”
“They are, but we found out she’s with child. We’re not sure how the child is doing.”
“That’s a shame.”
“Yes, but we think she’ll be coming around soon.”
“What happened to her?”
“She dove in the water to rescue her fiancé in the next bed, she didn’t have enough oxygen, and she was wet and freezing. The man that brought them here said she fought off an alligator and killed it.”
“That can’t be true.” I wish whoever was talking would shut up and let me sleep. “And how’s the guy?”
“In pretty bad shape, he’s still on life support.” What? No, not Gerard. I tried five times until I got my eyes opened.
“Miss Rank?” a doctor said to me as I tried to sit up.
“Where is he?” I croaked.
“Who?” the other doctor asked.
“Satan.” I said looking him right in the eye, how stupid was he? “My boyfriend.” I finally said after getting strange looks from both doctors. They pointed to one side of the room. The curtains were drawn and all I could hear was a quiet beep beep beep. I got the covers off of me and started to stand up.
“Miss. Rank, please. Sit down.” One doctor said. I didn’t listen to him and walked to the curtains, my IV stand trailing behind me. I pulled back the curtains. Gerard was in a bed with one tube down his throat, an IV on his right wrist, stitches all over his face, all of this as the machine in the background went beep beep beep.
“Get that IV out, he hates needles.” I said trying to take the IV out myself.
“Maira, stop.” The doctor said pulling me away from Gerard.
“No! He hates needles, he hates them!” I cried kicking.
“Can I get some help?” I felt something sharp slid into my arm, and then I got woozy and fell asleep.