Your Average 19 year Old

Chapter 23

Chapter 23
A week later I was wheeling Gerard out of the hospital and into the car, we were taking a plane to New York where we were going to buy a small three bedroom apartment in Manhattan.
“I’m guessing your parents know about the baby?” Gerard asked as I wheeled him to the car.
“Yeah, I don’t really care though, they’ll have one set of grandparents…. That’s fine. I only had one too.” I said helping him into the passenger seat and going around getting into the driver’s side.
“I’d really like it to have both sets of grandparents.” Gerard said touching my stomach.
“Gee, my mother doesn’t understand. She’s judging me when she did the same thing at a younger age!” I cried.
“What do you mean? You never told me.” Gerard said looking at me. I sighed.
“When my mom was 16 she went to a party and got drunk, lost herself to her boyfriend and got pregnant. At 17 she had me, then at 25 she met my dad, or the man I call my dad and had Sara, then Margot, and finally Megan. They’ll all really my half sisters.” I said looking out the window.
“I’m sorry baby, did you ever try to find your real father?” he asked. I snored.
“Why do that? He took advantage of my mother when she was drunk, no thank you.” I said starting to drive again.
“Do you even know what his name was?” Gerard asked.
“Yeah, Jared Titman, I think.” I said shaking my head. We finally got to the airport and boarded the plane to head to New York.
“Maira Titman…. Maira Rank…. I like Rank better.” Gerard whispered in my ear as I fell asleep on his shoulder just as the plane took off.
“I like Maira Way better.” I said smiling.
“Speaking of names, any ideas for the baby?”
“Hmmm, not really. Do you have any?”
“I like the name Beauty for a girl and Daniel for a boy.” He said.
“Beauty Way…. Daniel Way… they’re nice. But I think I like Miracle for a girl.” I said.
“Miracle?” Gerard asked.
“Yeah, Miracle, it’s a miracle I made it through the storm, that I saved you from the alligator, and that I found you.” I said drifting off to sleep.
“Miracle Way…” Gerard whispered to himself.
“It’s perfect for you Mer!” Hannah cried three months later as she walked into our apartment for the first time. I had a serious “baby bump” as the magazines called it now and Gerard and I were in the process of painting the nursery. Hannah, Mikey, Crystal, Frankie, Annie, Abby, Bob, and Ray all managed to get apartments near ours. They had all been busy being on vacations and whatnot. I had been working on my master’s in communications and was working on my first book. It was called “Through the Strom and into Love”. It was about a girl in the 1600s who was the only one to survive a terrible ship wreck brought about by a storm and onto an island that turned out to be Austria and meets a boy and they fall in love. My pen name was Beauty Titman I had used my would be last name for a pen name.
“Knock, knock!” Crystal said coming into the front room.
“Hey!” I said.
“God you’re getting fat.” Crystal commented sitting on the couch.
“Yeah, it’s funny, having a human being growing inside you does that.” I said sticking my tongue out at her.
“Where’s my girl?” Annie asked coming in also.
“Right here!” I said smiling. We all sat down to talk about what was going on.
“So, Ray and I decided to move in together.” Annie said smiling. I had introduced Annie to Ray and Abby to Bob after the storm. They were all getting along really well; it made me so happy that playing cupid worked for me.
“I’m glad.” I said has the phone rang. “Hello?” I said.
“Maira! Get your butt over to my house now! Bob has all the guys over here and they’re eating me out of house and home.” Abby cried.
“Haven’t they learned yet that it’s my job to eat everyone out of house and home?” I asked her smiling.
“I guess not, come over.” She said.
“All right, I’m coming.” I said hanging up the phone. “Come on. The guys are being pigs, let’s go.” I said waddling to the door and walking to the elevator to go up two floors. I opened Abby and Bob’s door to darkness. “Hello?” I called.
“SURPRISE!” everyone yelled. The words Mommy Maira was written on a banner over the entrance to the hall.
“Very nice.” I said smiling and sitting down next to Abby who was holding Jackson.