Status: over.

Deception

phone sex and birthdays

I grab my pole and head out, spikes squeaking on the floor. The other teams glare at me, and my palms start to sweat. I shake my head. I've got to do this right; I have scholarships lined up. Screw this up, and they're all gone.

I wipe the sweat onto my bare legs and grip the pole, walking to the starting line. I take in a deep breath, and Greeley gives me "the nod". The nod to go ahead, to show them all that I can shake off their glares and still win.

I sprint, charging with the pole and slam it into the box, holding onto the end. My legs straight up in the air, I avoid the beam and spin over onto the mat, landing with a thud. I hear cheers from the crowd as I stand up, and I see a sign that says "GO KALEB" in terrible, manly handwriting. I get off the mat, receiving a pat on the back from Coach Greeley. I squint at the blue sign and its holders, eying Lori, Zack, and...Alex?

"The landing was a little rough, but you made it. You cleared 13-5 feet, and that's amazing." He beams, shaking my shoulder. "If you keep this up, you'll be going to states!"

I smile weakly. "Thanks, coach. But my dad's waiting for me. I gotta go."

"I'll see you at practice next week!"

I grab my things and rush off, heading towards the double doors, putting on my hoodie and varsity jacket. I see them waiting outside, Lori in her puffy winter jacket with fur on the hood. She shivers, Zack's arm around her waist. "N-nice job," she stammers. "Let's go!"

Alex's Audi pulls up, and we all climb in. "You guys really didn't have to come all the way out here," I say, claiming shot gun.

"Well, we care about you, Kaleb. And track's important to you. Jack couldn't be here because his pet guinea pig is sick." Alex zooms off. "You know, this place was pretty far, but...well, it was worth it." He grins. "How about we celebrate?"

"Yeah, let's go somewhere warm!"

The only decent place we find to celebrate in is a McDonald's. With hot chocolate in our hands, we clink our foam cups together, Lori saying a few words about me going to states. I open the top and blow, hoping the hot chocolate will cool down; I don't want to burn my tongue. And suddenly, I think of all the wonderful things Alex can do with his magical parent-charming powers.

I sigh. "Do you guys know what time it is? My dad took my phone for the month." I catch Lori's eye, and she winks. "What am I supposed to do without my phone? I hardly know Lori's number."

"Well...you got your home phone," Zack says, inhaling his Big Mac. "You could just call everyone through there."

"Zack, the home phone is nothing like the cell phone." Lori motions to her blue brick. "With the home phone, there's no privacy. Your mom could pick up the phone and start attempting to dial your dad for phone sex while you're still trying to talk to your best friend." She holds her breath. "Or worse."

"What's worse than that?"

"Picking up the phone while your parents are having phone sex."

"You've done that?!" Alex exclaims. His face has disgusted written all over it.

"This is why Kales needs her cell phone back. She doesn't want to hear nasty convos between her step mom and her dad. And she doesn't know any of our numbers!"

"Well...there's always the option of begging to your folks, or maybe manipulating them." Alex takes a huge gulp of hot chocolate. "Though, manipulation isn't as easy as it seems."

Lori raises her eyebrows. "Then teach her, oh guru of manipulation!" I glower at her, and she clamps her mouth shut as she applies her wild cherry lip gloss.

"Well...it won't be easy, but maybe I could do it." We all stand up and pile into Alex's junky van. "Oh, and my parents said I have to invite people to my birthday party." He revs the engine, and the car bolts home.

"When's your birthday party?" Zack asks, a pained expression on his face. I guess he burned his tongue on the hot chocolate. Lori starts to make out with him in consolation. I shut my eyes.

"It's next Friday." Alex glances at them. "They're disgusting. It's almost like a bad 80's porno," he says, almost unable to unglue his eyes from the couple.

"Eyes on the road, Gaskarth."

> >

"What do you mean Alex's having a birthday party Friday? He told me nothing!" Jack exclaims. "I guess being his best friend is nothing compared to being his crush."

"Hey, don't put yourself down. Besides, you're the best friend; you have to be there." I start stretching out my legs. I've got pole vault practice tonight.

"...He told my mom, who forgot to tell me. It's all good." There's some yelling in the background, but it doesn't seem to be angry or bitter. "Well, I guess that means you'll be meeting my girlfriend soon. You'll love her. She'll probably be your next best friend."

Speaking of best friends, I haven't talked to Riley ever since he and I had that conversation about Alex and Jack. However, according to the stall of secrets, Riley's dating Valerie, some girl on the gymnastics team. The gossip mafia says Riley only wants her so he can get some. The gossipers say his sterling silver purity ring is a joke.

"What's her name?"

"Miranda. She's the most amazing girl you'll ever meet, and she'd make the most awesome best friend ever. She might even beat Lori out of first place." I hear some clicking sounds. "So...I'm thinking of getting Alex a man thong as a joke. What should I really get him?"

"You're his best friend. You tell me." Dad starts yelling about how Lori's roast chicken is the best thing he's ever tasted in his entire life. Probably because he can't even boil water. "Hey, gotta go before my dad eats an entire chicken by himself. Talk to you later."

He chuckles. "Yeah, yeah. Bye. Oh, and Alex is really excited that you're going to his party. Like, he won't shut the fuck up about it."

Great.
♠ ♠ ♠
FOR MIRANDA.