Status: over.

Deception

dinner with the parent and Liz.

I don't go with Lori on her "date", mostly because I'll be the third wheel. Zack's friends are busy doing "stuff", whatever that means. Liz decides that I should hang out with her tonight, so we can "get to know each other." I really don't want to get to know her.

"Your father will be very pleased," Liz squeals, grabbing a DVD from the cabinet. "I'm so excited, Kaleb. Aren't you, hon?"

Please, God, save me.

She slips it into the DVD player and turns on the TV. She motions for me to join her on the couch, but I sit in the armchair. Liz frowns, grabbing a handful of popcorn for consolation. "Well, this is a start." I'm glad she's looking at this through a positive light.

"Yeah, sure."

"Kaleb, I'm really sorry about your mother, but--"

"Whatever. Press play." She reaches for the remote, and thank God for "The Painted Veil".

<<<<>>>>

"How was your night with Liz?"

"Worst night of my life. Edward Norton's hott, though." I smirk. "How was your date with Zachary?"

"Oh my God. He doesn't say anything. Ever. He's so awkward!"

"Man, you should've picked someone else at that party to date."

"Shut up, Kaleb. At least my step-mom didn't try to pry into my life."

"You don't even have a step mom!"

Yelling in the background. "My little sister's being a bitch. I'll talk to you later. Have fun at your dinner tonight."

"Yeah, thanks." Click. I sigh, lying on my bed. Dad told me to wear something nice, so I'm wearing my shiny mauve dress with heels. Liz picked it out for me. I wasn't happy.

"Kaleb, are you ready?" Dad shouts from the living room.

"Yeah." I jump off the bed and flit down the stairs to meet him. He grins and motions to the foyer. "Get in the car; we'll be there in a minute."

"'Kay." I trudge into the blue Toyota and wait. Finally, they emerge from the house, and we're on our way to some fancy restaurant.

"So, Kaleb, how's school been?" Liz asks.

"It's okay."

"Any new friends?"

"No."

"How's Riley?"

"He's okay."

"What about Lori?"

"She's okay."

"Kaleb, when does indoor track start?" Dad questions. He's really into the whole "sport" thing.

"During the winter." It's still summer.

"Honey, it'd be nicer if you told me the date, so I could schedule around things."

"I'm not sure, dad. I'd have to look it up."

After that, it's silent in the car. I don't understand how my parent is so crazy with the idea of me getting to know his girlfriend. I don't like her, and I don't want another mom. It's been dad and me for what seems like forever; why would he want to change that?

Fifteen minutes of silence, and we arrive at the restaurant. It's decorated with Greek sculptures and columns, and dim lighting creates a relaxing setting. I don't know why I'm here; it seems like a place for Dad and Liz only.

The waiter finds a place for us to sit, near the back. The man gives me a funny look. I look indifferent. He hands us some menus and fills our glasses with water.

"I'm going to use the restroom." Dad nods, and I flee. In the ladies' room, I sit on the red sofa, texting Lori:

wut r u doing? save me. @ that restaurant near gabi's old house

I scuffle out, but blocking my exit into the seating area are two guys dressed in black pants, white tuxedo shirts, and black bow ties. "Dude, our shift's over in like...two minutes. Let's just go mini-golfing."

"Hell no. Zack's mad at us for bailing on him yesterday, so I think we should go apologize." Wait a minute...Zack? As in Lori's Zack? And the friends that bailed on him? They're these two?

"To hell with that, man! He always screws up around us, and he never apologizes! And it's not like I picked this goddamn work schedule." One of them turns to look at me. "Are we blocking your path?" I nod. "Sorry," he says apologetically. "...Wait a minute. You look familiar." I raise my eyebrows.

"Aren't you...oh, man. You're in indoor track, right?" I nod. "God, I know your name! You're the one that actually wins trophies for our school!"

"You have a guy's name too!"

My name is not a guy's name! And I don't win trophies; I usually place in districts, and am beaten out at regionals...or at states.

"Uh...can you give us a hint?"

"It starts with a 'k'."

"Konstantine?"

"Kevin?"

"...What else starts with 'k'...Kris?"

"It's Kaleb." They both frown.

"Man, we weren't even close!" The shorter one sticks out a hand. "My name's Alex, and my buddy's name is Jack." He nods, and I smile politely. "So, are you here on a date?"

"No. My dad dragged me out here with my step mom."

"Oh. Well, that's awkward."

I nod. "I called one of my friends to pick me up."

"Well, we were just leaving. Why don't you just join us?"

"What about my dad and my step mom?"

"She brings up a good point," Jack agrees.

"Just tell them your friend's picking you up for a science project," Alex says.

"He'd never believe me."

"Wait. I'll tell him that you fell on some glass, and that we're taking you to the hospital!" Jack exclaims. "Best plan ever!"

"But he'd want to take me then."

"We'll just tell him that everything's taken care of, and you'll be home in no time."

"This isn't going to work."

Jack drops his hand on my shoulder. "Don't diss our acting skills until you seem them in action. What's your last name?"

"Wagner. Why?"

"Just watch." Alex winks, and I can't help but laugh.

The duo steps out into the seating area, and struts over to the counter. Alex and Jack chat with the man who had the list of reservations, and the man points to my dad and Liz. I bite my lip, doubting the possibility of me getting away with this.

They both take in deep breaths. Alex steps forward. "Excuse me, sir?" My dad raises his eyebrows at them and stops stabbing his salad. "Are you the father of Kaleb Wagner?"

"Yes," he says cautiously.

"I'm sorry to inform you, sir, but...your daughter is in the hospital."
♠ ♠ ♠
For Elyse :)