When Will This End?

Chapter 14

Image
It's already fifth period and nothing good has happened yet...and it's lunch time. Today's the day I was supposed to have lunch with Dez on account of nobody had lunch with me besides Dez today, but she's absent today due to her cousin coming to visit for the weekend. Dez hated her cousin. She was the complete opposite of Dez which meant they barely got along. I can honestly say that I missed my best friend. Having her here would have meant that I would at least have someone to talk to. Yup, that's right I was sitting by myself. Not to mention the fact that a FRESHMAN came up to me and asked if I was a freshman to, earlier...just then I couldn't be more self conscious about my height and the fact that I'm the complete opposite of what one would call popular. At the moment all I can think about is the fact that Maddie lied, and the fact that I know all about it, and Frank thinks of me as a friend now, as do I him, but I'm afraid to tell him anything. Frank's a great guy...surprisingly. We've been talking the past two nights on the phone for hours. We...we talk about everything from music to laundry detergent...don't ask. He's also shedded some information about his feelings towards Maddie and the whole situation. I try my best to sympathize with him and he tells me that my advice helps, but I know It'd help even more if I told him the truth. I feel so shitty when I think about the downside of this whole thing.

As soon as the bell rang I rushed out towards the door and tossed my apple into the garbage dispenser. I'm not sure why but I was in quite a rush to get to Health. Unfortunately I was the first one to arrive to class...awkward. I made my way to the back of the room as Mr.Collins saw me.

"Good afternoon Ms.Thompson." He greeted me getting my last name wrong.
"Uhh it's Grefield...Thompson's my step sister's last name." I told him politely even though I wanted to scold him by calling me by HER last name...no offense to my step dad.
"Oh yeah- " He then let out a little laugh. "Yes...Grefeild. I'm sorry, it's old age it's starting corrupting my brain. I called my granddaughter by her mother, my daughter's name yestahday."
"Heh, it's okay." I lied and took my seat at the back of the room.

Nearly two minuets later Frank opened the door to the entrance in the back of the room. He walked over to his seat beside me with a smile as he said "Hey. You're here early."
"I could say the same to you. Your usually the last one here." I said with a giggle.
"So you gotta problem!" He laughed.
"Haha! Yeah I do actually."
"Oh really now." He retorted.
"Yeah. I don't like the good boy act."
"Haha! I don't know what you are talking about dearest Annabel. " He said with a cheeky grin.
"Hehe! Shut up."
"Make me." I stuck his tongue out at me.
"Fine! I'm not talking to you no mores." I told him as I turned my back towards him with my arms folded to give off the effect that I really wasn't going to talk to him.

He knew I was joking, but what he did next was unexpected. He pulled his seat closer, reached over and hugged me from behind as he placed his cheek to the side of mine from behind. Even though it wasn't anything really, something about it made me feel different. I felt his smile on my cheek which sent butterflies exploding in my stomach, figuratively speaking.

"Come on Ana." He said in a baby voice. "You can't be mad at me." I turned around to him to see him with a dramatic frown on his face.
I had to laugh at him. "Haha! Okay fiiiine"
"Yes!" He yelled aloud raising his arm in the air.
"Shut it!" Mr. Collins yelled back at Frank. "You know Iero, you still haven't given me a note as to why you weren't here the other day."
"It was two days ago, can you just forget about it?" He pleaded.
"Iero...I'll give you until Monday, intendere?"
"Kah-peash."
"The boy knows his Italian." Mr.Colins said to the class as everyone laughed. "Good."

After that little discussion. Frank and I continued ours as Mr. Collins continued to show the class the video on how animals communicate.
"I can't wait until the bell rings. School ends after this period right?" He asked.
"Yup, some teacher meeting and we have off tomorrow because of the senior tests."
"Haha. Oh yeah, Mikey was pissy this morning about having to come in tomorrow."
"Aw, poor Mikey." I giggled.
"Um...what are you doing after school?"
"Oh...Brian's having some business partners over for dinner."
"Ah I see. You're stuck home tonight."
"Well I don't have to be home until about a half hour before anyone comes over."
His eyes lit up. "Yeah? Well, you wanna come with Gee, Ray, Bob, and me to the arcade for a bit?"
"Like right after class?" I asked.
"Yeah. Bob's picking us up and we'll drop you off later."
I smiled. "Yeah sure!"
"Yeah?"
"Mhm! It's good that your going out instead of staying in and you know-"
"Feeling like crap?" He finished my sentence.
I stayed quiet a bit.
"Well I guess I just have really great friends." He smiled over at me.
Oh yeah this definitely wasn't the Frank I once knew.

After the last bell of the day rang Frank and I made it to our lockers to grab what we needed. I just needed my sweater but decided to organize my locker a bit before Frank came to pick me up. I had just placed my history book on top of my math book before I was tapped on the shoulder. I looked up hoping to see Frank but was wrong. Jake stood next to me.

"Oh! Hey Jake." I said with a smile.
"Hey!" He smiled back at me. "Do you need a ride home? Elijah's dropping me off and he has room for another" He said.
" Huh? Oh...um actually I kinda have plans-"
"Oh? What are you up to?" He asked.
"Well...Frank invited me to hang out at the arcade with Gerard, Ray and Bob."
"You're gonna be the only girl?" He asked skeptically.
I looked up at him weirdly. "Um.. yeah? But it's okay. I've known these guys for a few years now. They're cool, not pervs. "I laughed.
"Yeah okay. I'm just saying... since when did you and Frank become so close?" He asked yet another question.
"What do you mean?"
"Well...what happened to him making fun of you and stuff, making you feel bad. Now all of a sudden he's like your best friend."
"What are you talking about?" I furrowed my eye brows. "He's not like that anymore. We found a common ground and now we get along. ...Is that bad?" I asked.
"N- "

Just then Frank came up from behind Jake with a huge smile on his face. I saw him coming and smiled again.

"Hey An' ready?" He asked. "Hey Jake." He greeted Jake politely.
"I'll see you later Anna." Jake said before he left.
Frank and I looked at him weirdly as he walked away.
"Do I offend?" Frank asked before he lifted his left arm up and sniffed it.
"Heh! Shut up." I joked as I pushed his arm slightly. "I don't know what's going on with him lately. "
"He hates me." Frank said.
"He doesn't hate you!"
"Then why'd he walk away when I came by?" He asked.
"I don't know, but I think he's just upset about something else. Maybe he'll get over it by Monday."
"Well... you ready?" He asked.
"Yeah." I told him with a smile.

I closed my locker and Frank and I made our way outside. On our way to the arcade I couldn't help but to think about how weird Jake was acting. Like he was angry. Is he mad at me? I don't understand. What's the problem with Frank and I being friends now?