Every Mistake That I Make

Chapter Twenty One

"Hi..." Dallas smiled at Mikey. "I'm going to guess you saw the others on your way out?"

"Yeah," Mikey nodded, "I did. Anya ignored me. I think she's still very annoyed."

"She is," Dallas agreed. "She brought me nuts, but of course I can't eat them, so do you want them?"

Mikey reached out and let his hand close around the navy blue packet of nuts. He put it next to him, but didn't open them. "Was it nice to talk to them all?" he asked.

Dallas nodded once. "They left too soon," she admitted.

"I don't think they would have appreciated my being there," Mikey sighed.

"Anya wouldn't have – that's true."

"Dallas," Mikey said abruptly, frowning slightly. "I heard you and Gerard talking before."

Dallas' heart skipped a beat. He knew?

"I heard him mention – you know – Rachael..." Mikey trailed off. "About – ending up back in here if you cross her..."

"Yes..."

"You're not going to do anything, are you?" Mikey asked.

"What, like cause a fight?" Dallas shook her head. "No, I'm not. I'm not that stupid, Mikey."

"Good." Mikey looked a relieved. "I don't want to think of you two fighting. I just wish you two could get on together, y'know?"

"Mikey, there's no chance in hell that we're going to get on together," Dallas said darkly.

"She's my girlfriend," Mikey said in a helpless tone.

"Yes, I know." Dallas rolled her eyes. "I have noticed."

"Well, there is one thing about Rachael that she does that you don't..." Mikey said, trailing off. Dallas felt a blush creep up her cheeks. "She's always getting in the way of me playing my bass," he continued. "And you know how much I enjoy doing that, but no, with her it's always 'who would you rather, me or your bass guitar?' Whereas you just let me play..."

"Plus," Dallas agreed, "I play it with you sometimes...You're still going to teach me, right? I promise I will not break your beloved bass."

Mikey nodded, and said, "Sure, you can play my bass anytime."

They were both silent for a moment, before Mikey rolled his eyes at Dallas. Her face was bright red and her lips pursed; she was trying so hard not to laugh.

"Dallas," he sighed, "I meant my bass, as in my instrument, not..."

Dallas exploded. Mikey found himself laughing along. When she'd finally finished laughing, he said, "I never thought that would make you laugh. I mean, it's not like that time when Anya said she wanted to bang Bob's drum –"

Dallas closed her eyes. "Mikey, be careful. Don't bring up Gerard's microphone."

"What?" Mikey looked alarmed. "No one has even ever made a joke like that before..."

"Good," Dallas sighed. "Make sure no one ever does. I think I might die the day someone says 'let's play with Gerard's microphone'."

Mikey shook his head. "Please, do not put thoughts in my head," he begged.

"Mikey's getting dirty thoughts," Dallas chanted.

"Dallas, be careful or I'll bring Kendra into this," Mikey threatened. "Kendra and..."

"And?" Dallas prompted.

"A hotdog."

Dallas stared at him. He nodded.

"Yes, a hotdog," he decided. "Hmm..."

"Say you're not imagining that," Dallas requested.

"I'm not imagining that!" he said in a horrified voice. "Ew, Dallas, I was only kidding –"

"Good!"

Just then, Mikey looked at the digital clock on the bedside table. 3.40.

"Crap," he said in a low voice, then said more clearly, "I said I'd meet Rachael at four, so..."

"Okay." Dallas tried to hide her annoyance. He stood up and hugged her.

"Mikey," she called after him, "is she allowed to play your bass whenever she likes?"

The only reply she got was the sound of Mikey's laughter.