I Never Told You What I Did for a Living

Strange Coincidence

About a week later, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things for my mother. It was a Saturday, so I hadn't bothered to do my hair or make up.

"Feeling lazy, Lily?" my friend Jill commented as I walked in. Jill worked part time at the grocery store, and she never failed to look amazing.

I smirked at her and picked up a basket. "No, silly, I got all dolled up just for you." Jill hated sarcasm, so I made a point of using it all the time around her.

I headed down an aisle and browsed the various products, trying to find the items needed to complete the crumpled list in my hand. I couldn't help but add a few things just for me. After all, I had a blank cheque from my mom to spend. As i placed a bag of cookies in the basket, I heard a familiar voice.

"You know, I've looked all over that campus and haven't been able to find you. Yet when I do something as innocent as go grocery shopping, there you are."

I spun around to see Gerard leaning on a shelf with an adorable grin on his face.

"We meet again," I murmured. "Looks like we were meant to do more than just meet in the library."

"Sure does. So tell me, Lily, what would you like to do?"

"Well first, I'd like to finish my shopping. After that, I guess I could make some time for you. But only because you say you searched the whole campus for me." I neglected to add that he couldn't possibly have found me because I was still in high school.

"If that's all it takes to get you to go out, I would have done it on the first day."

I laughed. "You're so cheesy."

"What do you mean? Like cheddar or monterey jack?"

"I'd say you're definitely a parmesan."

"Well I am half Italian."

"And it shows," I teased. Once I had paid for my groceries, Gerard helped me to my car.

"Where are you off to now?" I asked as I closed my trunk.

"Wherever I end up. Which also means wherever I tell the cab driver to take me."

"Do you want to do something after I drop off these groceries? I just have to take them home and then I'm free for the rest of the day. Of course, I'll have to do something about my hair first."

He smiled softly. "Yeah, that would be great. But don't worry about the hair. It looks cute."

When I started the car, his eyes lit up.

"You like the Smashing Pumpkins?"

"They're fucking amazing. I bet you can't name me one song of theirs that isn't any good." I replied, smiling.

The rest of the way to my house, Gerard and I sang along to one of our favorite bands.