Summer and Forever

Squeals and knives

The hall was packed as Nick and Joe tried to organize people into suitable groups for singing classes. Kevin took my hand. “You can be in my group.”

“Won’t that be a little biased?”

“I’m Kevin Jonas. I’m allowed to be biased.” I laughed and let him lead me to where his group would be.

Our path was halted by Ingrid. She took in our joined hands, Kevin’s jumper on my body and my too-slow-to-fade smile with a practiced air of disdain. “Kevvy, I didn’t know you were dating garbage now?”

Kevin’s face grew like thunder but I stepped in. “He’s just glad that I don’t want to do him and his brothers at the same time.” Ingrid went purple with fury.

“Your words, not mine.” People started to laugh.

“Come on.” Kevin pulled me away to where his group was.

“Sorry about that.”

“Yeah Mel told me you used to date her.” He winced. I grinned and patted his cheek. “We all make mistakes.” He laughed and wrapped an arm around my waist. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Ingrid storming over to us, only to be intercepted by another girl.

“Alright guys. Let’s get into an orderly line.” Come of the girls were scowling at us and I knew it was because of his arm around me. It didn’t bother me. This was the first good guy ever interested in me and I was determined to make it last.

********

Kevin’s singing teaching was fun. I found that I had the ability to carry a tune and carry it well. The other girls swooned a bit when they got attention from Kevin but I got the best attention and I loved it. For once, someone wanted to be with me. He wasn’t afraid of the fact that it might not look good to everyone else if he smiled at me or took my hand for a brief second like other guys I’d dated. Ingrid’s unhappy face just made me happier.

When group time was over, Hilary asked Kevin what he had decided to do for the end of camp event. “The dinner.” I breathed into his ear. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow and shook his head. “The dance.” He told Hilary firmly.

The girls all squealed but I was furious. I hid it from everyone until we were alone.

“I said the dinner!” I wailed at him.

“I heard you but I thought a dance might be more fun.” He countered. I jammed my hands in my pockets and glared at the ground.

“Why don’t you want the dance?” He asked. “I can’t dance.” I mumbled. He stared at me and then burst out laughing. I looked up. “It’s not funny!”

“It’s hilarious.” He agreed.

“Hey!”

“You don’t have to do much Sarai. Just move around and pretend you know what you’re doing. Look uncoordinated. You usually master that pretty well without trying.” I smacked his shoulder with the back of my hand. “Besides, I can’t do anything except eat when I’m with you at a dinner. I need to at least have an excuse to dance.”

“I suppose.” I grumbled. He pulled on a white streak of hair gently.

“Still mad?”

“I’m thinking about it.”

“Would it help if I kissed you?”

“It might.” He put his hand on my shoulder to stop me from walking and leaned down to kiss me. I met him eagerly and by the end of the kiss I was no longer mad.

“Still mad?”

“I will be if you stop now.”

He grinned. “I don’t think this is the ideal spot for a make out session.” We were standing in front of the girls cabins.

“Oh. Yeah.”

“You’re going to be bombarded when you get in there.” He nodded to my room.

“With squeals or knives?”

“Depends on who’s in there.”

“Ingrid.” I groaned.

“Knives.” He affirmed. “See you at dinner.” I nodded and left him after a quick kiss on the cheek.
♠ ♠ ♠
Forgive the lagging...if you're reading this anyways. I'm a little lost on ideas