Disconnected

Teaser

[Year 1999]
[Emmie’s POV]
“Wait. You mean I’m not your biological child?!” I asked. I’m 12 years old and my parents just told me the ‘shocking news.’ I mean I think I’ve always known they weren’t my parents. Look at me, I have brown curly hair and hazelish eyes and they both have red hair and blueish eyes. Doesn’t that sound odd? I’ve always wondered who my real parents are and if they had other children after me. Or if they were still together or if they were hobos that live in a box somewhere.
“Honey, would you like a cookie?!” Mom smiled awkwardly as she held the plate of double chocolate chip cookies. One of my weaknesses.
“Mom! I’m not 5 any more! You can’t give me a cookie and avoid the subject!”
“Honey, we should tell her the whole truth” Dad said coolly to Mom. I eyed the plate of cookies and glanced up at them. I quickly snatched one and took a bite.
“What truth?!” I looked up at them with a mouth full of cookie.

Meanwhile:
[Wes’ POV]
“YOU MEAN I WAS KIDNAPPED?! MY WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN A LIE?! WHO KIDNAPP….WAIT…DID YOU GUYS?!” I shouted at my parents.
“No, No, No! We didn’t….but you’re Uncle Shint did.” Mom said.
“Wait. Whoa. The Uncle Shint, that’s in JAIL for stealing a lady’s purse?!” I yelled. I thought stealing a purse was bad!
“Yes,” Dad nodded.
“And you’re telling me this now?! At age 12?”
“Yes,” Mom sighed.
“Wait how did he do it? Why did he do it?!” I was still confused.
“Shint was on his way back from New Jersey, he was visiting some friends or something. And he was at a rest stop. He remembered that we really wanted a child. So when he saw you and your…,” Dad paused, “sister. He thought, Perfect! Two two year olds and the parents had just walked away for the moment. The father was close, but he thought if he was discreet enough…so in the end he had gotten you and the girl. And brought you back to us here in Illinois.”
“You guys kept this a secret?! Didn’t it ever feel wrong to take care of a child who wasn’t rightly yours?! Oh and if I have a sister where is she?!” I yelled.
“We don’t know exactly…Shint thought we only needed one child so he gave the other one away…” Mom’s voice drifted.
“Mom! Listen to yourself! ‘Gave the other one away’?!” I got up from the living room couch and stomped up to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me what you thinkkk! :]
-Ruthie