Testing The Strong Ones

12

The house moderately quiet for all four occupants to be home at the same time. Ryan and Maria were watching a basketball game on television. Chase was making some vegetable dish in the kitchen; Isabelle was just getting out of the shower after a day at the beach with Ryan.

“That smells like a dirty diaper.” She stated as she passed through the living room. Maria laughed, as did Ryan. Chase gave them a glare as he continued to cook his dish. Isabelle passed through the living area again, this time with a dress in hand. Ryan took notice; he figured that she was taking a shower because they had gone to the beach. But the dress she had made it look like she had plans to go back out.

“What’s she gettin’ dressed up for?” he turned to ask Maria.

“She had another date with that boy.” Maria smiled still watching the game.

“Oh, she must like him.” he turned back to the game.

“Or the attention.” Chase chimed in from the kitchen.

“Oh, hush. She probably does like him, it’s nice to be young and have time to try and have a real relationship while you can. Instead of getting stuck in one that isn’t real, and pretending that it is.” Maria sighed still watching the game.

“I guess, sometimes it’s nice to have fun.” Ryan chuckled glancing at Chase who had the same look on his face as Maria.

“I suppose, if you have time for that it is nice.” She half smiled still not looking away from the game. An awkward silence fell over the living room between them, then Rodeo decided to go from Ryan’s lap to Maria’s as if he sensed her sadness. The doorbell rang; Ryan who was feeling more awkward in the space between Chase and Maria decided to answer the door to get away from it. When Ryan opened the door a model look alike was standing there with a perfect grin.

“You here for Isabelle?” that was a dumb question. Of course the boy was here for Isabelle; Ryan saw him the other night when she was out with him.

“Yeah, is she ready?” he said looking eager.

“You obviously haven’t been on enough dates with her; come on in I’ll let her know you’re here.” Ryan chuckled to himself. The boy laughed as well,

“I’m Ryan by the way, sit down and make yourself comfortable. That’s Maria and Chase.” Chase was sitting next to Maria absently eating his food as she watched a different channel since Ryan had gotten up. They both seemed to come back to life as the boy went to sit with them. Ryan went to Isabelle’s room and gently knocked on the door.

“Hey, your date is here.” He said softly through the door crack.

“Come in.”

“Well then,” He smiled, she once again had blue on. She was pinning up her hair, and putting on shoes at the same time. He was almost jealous that he wasn’t taking her out instead of the boy.

“Can you zip me up?” He then noticed her dress was revealing a lot because she wasn’t finished putting it on.

“I kind of like it the way it is.” He said in a low voice, making her turn around sharply. He went to her and zipped it; trying not to let his hands linger too long.

“Thank you.” She said softly turning to face him handing him a necklace to fasten as well. He once again had to watch his hands, which was nearly impossible.

“There you go.” He sighed stepping back from her.

“Thank you again.” She smiled this time, he then saw how she could perceive herself as a princess other than being spoiled rotten by her parents.

“Have fun.” He said as he left to go to his room, he had to get to bed anyway. He had to work in 5 hours; if he could get to sleep without letting jealousy about Isabelle and her date consume him. He decided to try and block Isabelle and her blue eyes out of his mind. Especially since she didn’t see him the way he was surprisingly starting to see her.
----------------------------------

After Isabelle left for her date and Ryan had seemingly gone to take a nap before he had to work. Chase and Maria were left alone.

“Maria-“

“Huh?” Maria was seemingly absorbed in the program she was watching. But Chase could see she was thinking, and getting sad.

“I don’t want you to be sad.” Chase said leaning towards her.

“I can’t help it sometimes I guess.” She sighed turning towards him.

“Let me then.” He said putting one arm around her shoulders, and the other around her waist pulling her closer to him. Chase liked the feel of her against him in more ways than one. But he liked this the most,

“I don’t like it when you cry.” He said kissing the top of her head.

“Me neither.” She sighed laying her head on his chest. They laid there in silence for a few moments, both enjoying the feeling of each other. Chase was starting to feel for Maria more than he originally intended. He also knew that her feelings weren’t developing further. She had told him flat out the first time they had sex that she didn’t want a relationship. Chase just wished he knew what brought her here, not that he wasn’t glad that she wasn’t here with him. Maria was the second woman in his life to make him think only of her when she walked into the room. Even when she wasn’t in the room.

“I have this fancy formal company dinner thing next weekend.” She said taking him away from his thoughts.

“You mean like one of those award dinners?” He asked

“Yeah, I was nominated.” She shrugged

“Are a lot of people normally there?”

“The whole company, it’s pretty snazzy, kind of like a ball with speeches.” She chuckled.

“That sounds pretty fun.” He laughed with her.

“It’s also pretty customary to bring a date…” she trailed off seeming to fear his reply.

“What color is your dress?”

“Red?”

“For the flower on my tux, plus my tie should match as well.” He smiled hearing her sigh contently.

“Thanks Chase.” She said cuddling closer to him as they watched television in comfortable silence. Maria excited about showing her face to the man who dumped her with another man on her arm. And Chase excited about a real date with Maria, he was planning on making it perfect for both her and him.
-------------------------------

“I had a great time Eren.” Isabelle tried to smile. She did have a nice time, but it was hard to block out Ryan. The feel of his hands on her back and shoulders...

“Are you sure?” he replied.

“What do you mean?” she asked shaking herself mentally.

“Well, you seemed distracted all night. Kind of like now.” He half smiled, looking down at his shoes.

“Eren, I like you, considering I’m still getting to know you and everything. I guess I’m just a little confused.” She sighed and leaned against the front porch post.

“How so?” Isabelle liked that he was actually interested in her thoughts. That’s something Ryan blatantly said he didn’t care about.

“Well, there’s another guy. And sometimes he makes me think that I like him more than a friend. But then sometimes he doesn’t.”

“I see.” He grinned. Making Isabelle’s breath catch in her throat, his gray eyes lighting up.

“I mean, I like you too, probably more considering you’re a lot nicer than her is.” She laughed nervously.

“That’s good to know, considering I like you as well.” He full on smiled this time, making Isabelle wonder what was wrong with her brain.

“I don’t know what I was thinking.” She smiled back this time, as he seemed to read her mind and lean closer to her.

“Can I kiss you?” he murmured him mouth already so close she could his breath on her lips.

“Of course.” She grinned as he crossed the space between them by kissing her. She was amazed at how awkward it didn’t feel, and at how good he was at it. She let her arms go around his neck as his arms went around her waist, pulling them closer to each other. It was probably the best kiss Isabelle had in her life, she wished it could go on forever. They pulled away breathless,

“I would like to see you again.” He murmured still with his arms around her waist.

“I would like that.” She giggled as he began kissing her again. Then the door opened, making them drop their arms. Ryan came out, he stopped and looked at Isabelle obviously noticing her flushed cheeks. He smirked, making Isabelle become even more flushed.

“Have a great night.” He said over his shoulder as he started to make his way down the stairs towards the street.

“I’ll call you.” Eren smiled that same smile that made Isabelle’s heart skip a beat. He kissed her again on the mouth, and then turned and made his way to the street. Leaving Isabelle even more confused, she decided to sort it out someway. Hoping that her feelings that were slowly developing for Ryan would just go away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Summer is almost here.
I'll try and start my old habit of updating at least once a week.
:D