‹ Prequel: Jamie's New Life

Jamie's New Love

Chapter 4

We reached the store and I had to use the restroom so I left Jamie in the computer games section. I finished and I found her being dragged out of the store by to big guys.
“Pete!” she yelled when she saw me.
“Jamie!” I yelled as I took off after them.
“Pete?” someone asked.
I turned and saw Patrick, Andy, and Joe.
“Guys follow me, don’t ask any questions.” I commanded as I turned and ran.
“Jamie!” Patrick said.
“Patrick!” she answered.
“Shut Up!” one guy yelled, slapping her.
Oh, I lost it. I yelled at the guy and I punched him in the face.
Patrick yelled at the other one and punched him the jaw.
“Andy, help Patrick! Joe, help me!” I yelled out. Patrick and Andy beat on the second guy, who was smaller. Joe and I beat the first guy, who by the way was a human godzilla.
Then the guy punched me in the face. It sent me five feet back and I blacked out.

Joe’s POV

Pete was knocked out so it was up to me to hold this guy.
“Joe, we’ll help!” Andy yelled. They had knocked their guy out so they came over and repeated to punch the guy in the face. He soon blacked out. Now there was just one guy to go. He was holding Jamie.
“Hey, if you let go of her, we will give all the cash in our wallets.” I bargained.
“Hell no!” he yelled.
“Then what do you want?” I asked.
“She is so beautiful. I want her.” he said with a perverted smile. Jamie looked disgusted but horrified and struck with fear.
“Let me rephrase that. What do you want other than her?” I asked again.
“One grand.” he said.
I pulled out my wallet and grabbed ten one hundred dollar bills. He took them and counted before he let her loose. She ran straight into my arms and stayed there.
He left. His friends were still on the ground. Jamie was shaking very badly.
“Jamie. It’s okay. I’ve got you. You can’t be hurt.” I whispered in her ear. She was still shaking but came out of her shadow and ran over to Pete.
“Patrick, go get the car so we can take him to the emergency.” I said, following Jamie. Andy went with Patrick. Andy was never a big talker.
“Pete? Why did I have to tell those guys to fuck off?” she asked herself.
“Because of your childhood. You defended yourself like you did when we first met.” I comforted.
“But Joe, if I hadn’t said anything and just walked off, this wouldn’t have happened.” she blamed herself.
“Jamie.” I said in stern voice. I grabbed both of her arms and made her look at me since she wouldn’t do it by herself. She tried to pull away. I wouldn’t let this one go again.
“Jamie. Quit blaming yourself. You didn’t do this, that bastard did. Now, get a hold on yourself.” I demanded. I held my stern voice. I stood up and pulled her up with me.
“Joe, quit.” she cried.
I didn’t say anything. I just pulled her into a friendly hug. She hugged back instantly. She needed to be hugged.

Patrick and Andy came around the corner in the SUV. Patrick climbed out and helped me lift Pete into the back seat. Jamie got in first so she could support his head. He was in and we were off.

We reached the hospital in about five minutes because Patrick let Andy take the wheel. Patrick and I slung Pete over each of our shoulders and took him into the hospital. Jamie and Andy stayed in the car for a minute. Andy said he would comfort her.

Andy’s POV

I climbed into the backseat and sat beside Jamie. She laid her head on my shoulder. I settled my head on top of hers and I kissed it softly. I let her get away, it was the worst mistake I made. I wouldn’t make it again.
“Jamie, Pete will be okay, probably just a broken jaw.” I tried to comfort.
“Andy, you don’t get it. It’s my fault.” she cried.
“Jamie, I’m trying to get it, and no, it’s not your fault. Quit saying it is.” I said back.
“I told those guys to fuck off and they took it out on Pete.” she replied as she continued to cry.
“No, Pete was trying to protect you. That guy was going to rape you, possibly even kill you if he got away. Pete would take a bullet for you. This is nothing to him.” I defended.
“You want to know something you don’t know and I do?” I asked.
“What?” she asked, starting to dry her tears.
“Pete thought of you everyday we were gone. Eight years. He thought about you every single day.” I said.
“Do you like the song ‘Sugar, We’re Going Down’?” I asked.
“Yeah, that is like my almost number one song.” she answered.
“It’s about you. He wrote before we left Oakland. He wrote it in ten minutes.” I whispered in her ear. I looked away and to her eyes. She was happy and shocked.
She opened the car door but before she got out, she turned around and kissed me tenderly on the lips. I kissed back. I knew she was with Pete but I loved her. We broke and we both smiled. She then turned and hopped out of the car. I also hopped out of the car and followed her into the hospital.

In the lobby, Joe was filling out forms because he had the best handwriting.
“Hey guys, any word?” Jamie asked.
“Yeah, he has a broken jaw. He is in surgery right now because it shattered.” Patrick explained. She hugged him and wouldn’t let go. He softly kissed the top of her head.