Tomorrow May Never Come

A Fresh Start

Only a few days later, everyone was gathered in the restaurant Denise owned. It was utterly silent as Denise hung up the phone.

"Mom?" Kate asked quietly.

"Two months. We have to leave in two months unless we pay back the loan," Denise muttered.

"Denise, if money is the problem, I can help. And then you could just pay me back whenever you can," Zack offered from his place next to Kate, but Denise just shook her head, glancing over at Brian who was hunched over the restaurant accounts, jotting things down here and there as he looked through them.

"No, I can't ask that of you, but thank you Zack," Denise kindly refused.

With an indignant huff, Ally crossed her arms and looked at Zack. "We don't need outside help from anyone," she said, sounding rather proud.

"Mother-"

"Both of you, don't start that now," Kate butted in before things got out of hand like they always did. "This is a serious problem."

Clearing his throat, Brian set down the pen he had in hand and looked up. "With a simple solution," he said, adding on to Kate's statement.

"Shut up, Brian. This is a family problem," Kate said, cutting him off.

"That's why I'm helping."

"But, you're not-"

"Oh, just be quiet and listen for once, will you?" he said pointedly, and Kate finally closed her mouth, glancing away from him as Brian turned to her mother. "Denise, this restaurant of yours doesn't run. It shouldn't run. I mean, why would it?" he asked, and everyone just looked at him, waiting for him to continue. "What is available at this restaurant that isn't available anywhere else on this street? Absolutely nothing," Brian said, standing up and slowly walking around the dining area of the restaurant as he looked around. "No offence, but this place is just as dull as any other restaurant around here. If you want to attract customers, you're going to need to make this place look...special." Making his way around, Brian stopped in front of Ally, who for once seemed to be taking what Brian was saying to considerate thought. "Am I wrong?"

"I think you're right," Ally answered, much to everyone's astonishment.

"So, all we have to do is give this place a makeover, jazz things up a bit."

"I don't believe this nonsense..." Kate muttered, crossing her arms.

"Well, I told you to shut up," Brian responded, flashing a smile in her direction. Though she tried not to, Kate couldn't help but grin a little back at him.

"But Brian--" Denise started to say.

"Sshh. Try. We have to try, Denise. There's no harm in trying, because those who try never lose," Brian said, putting his hands on Denise shoulders as she had stood up while he was walking around. "Never. Come on guys, let's do this! It'll be easy. What do you say?" he asked enthusiastically, turning to the rest of the family before him and holding his hand out in Ally's direction. She smiled, grabbed his hand and stood.

"I'm in."

"Fantastic!"

And with that, everyone else nodded, figuring that what Brian was saying was at least worth a shot.

Over the course of the weekend, everyone worked hard and revamping the entire restaurant, from painting the walls, changing the drapes, buying new chairs and tables, and even adding new items to the menu that would change things up a little. By the time they were done, the place had a new, rejuvenated look to it, and Brian was positive that things were going to change for Denise and her family.

Come Monday morning, everyone was stood inside the restaurant as the sign on the door was change to 'OPEN', waiting to see if anything would change. Time seemed to pass by slowly as they all stared at the door, the wait starting to become impossible. After an hour passed, everyone moving around to find a more comfortable place to wait instead of standing, they all turned to Brian, who was leaned against the counter with his arms crossed.

"Just give it some time guys..." he said, but even he was starting to have doubts. But only a few moments later, the jingling of the bells on the front door was heard, and everyone looked up excitedly to see a woman and a man looking around curiously.

"...Are you open?" the woman asked, as if she had never even seen the place before.

And, with an excited shout, everyone answered "Yes!"

After that point, more and more people came into the little restaurant. Compared to other businesses around the area, the turnout wasn't as much, but it was definitely a start. On Monday alone, Denise's business had made more profits than it had the entire past month, and things were looking up for her being able to pay back the loan to the bank. A few more weeks like that, and things would be paid off indefinitely. And it was all thanks to Brian.

At the end of the day, as the last few customers were filtering out, Brian approached Denise, who had a wide grin on her lips as they high-fived.

"So, what do you think?" Brian asked, smiling in return.

"This is wonderful. Thank you so much, Brian," she answered, and as they hugged, Kate watched from across the restaurant where she was cleaning a few things up. Having witnessed Brian try so hard to make things work with her family, Kate started to see him in a different light. She couldn't understand how Brian could be so completely selfless with everything he did, how he always seemed to be in a good mood, and always joking and trying to make everyone around him happy.

Kate admired him in almost every way.

Later that night, Kate was stood on the porch to Brian's uncle's house, knocking on the door. In a few moments, it opened to reveal Brian, who looked surprised to see her.

"Kate?"

"Uh...hi," she said, smiling nervously.

"What are you here for?" he asked.

"I just wanted to talk to you..."

Surprised, Brian stood back a little, welcoming her into the house. "Well, come in then." Together, they walked into the living room, taking a seat on the couch. It was silent for a moment before Brian turned to Kate with a smile. "So...what is it you wanted to talk about?"

"Why?" Kate asked bluntly.

"...Why?"

"Yes, why?"

"Why, what?" Brian asked with a confused smile, his brows furrowing.

With a sigh, Kate looked down at her lap for a moment. "Lord knows where you came from, Brian.... And suddenly...so many things have changed, because of you. I mean, you don't even know my family and you've helped us so much. Especially with the restaurant today. I just..." she said, pausing to look up into Brian's kind eyes, "I don't understand why?" she asked.

Looking at her thoughtfully, Brian then leaned into Kate a little, facing her. "I did this all for you. All of it..." he said, whispering. When she didn't answer, Brian smiled. "Isn't that what you wanted to hear?"

With a chuckle, Kate shook her head. "No..."

"Good, because I'd be lying," Brian answered, leaning back into the couch with an amused look on his face.

"Brian-"

"Kate..." he interrupted her. "Eyes."

Looking at him curiously, Kate shook her head. "What?"

"Have you seen your mother's eyes? There's a lot of pain in them," Brian answered, his voice quiet. "Whatever I have done, it's for those eyes. You see, I have this problem...I can't stand to see any mother's sadness or pain. Mothers are...strange," he said with a chuckle, and Kate smiled, understanding him completely. "When God made them, he put all the things that were meant to be in their heads...here," he said, putting his hand over his heart, "in their hearts. So this is where they think from, understand, and love. And they have another problem, too," Brian whispered, leaning in toward Kate. "They listen to other's conversations and start crying at the smallest things." Throwing a thumb over his shoulder to point toward the doorway to another room, Brian smiled. "Mine must be crying right now."

Both of them turning, Kate and Brian saw Suzy standing in the doorway to the dining room, tears staining her cheeks as she had heard what her son had said. Knowing she'd been caught, she smiled and wiped her tears.

"You're crazy, Brian," she chuckled before leaving, and Kate chuckled, causing Brian to turn to her.

"What do you mean, 'hee hee'? I did so much for you, at least say thank you."

"Thank you, Brian."

"You're welcome," Brian answered with a smile, and Kate stood from the couch.

"Well...I should probably get back home now. Again, Brian, thank you."

"It was nothing. Goodnight, Kate," he answered, nodded his head as he leaned back into the couch, getting comfortable.

"Goodnight," Kate nearly whispered, turning and leaving the house. The entire way across the street toward her own house, Kate couldn't stop smiling. And she couldn't figure out the feeling that was coming over her, either.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo another update :)

More or less, everything that's coming AFTER this chapter is like...REALLY getting into the good stuff lol