Dreaming Up A Secret

Ouch

‘She starts her new diet of liquor and dick
Like Hollywood, only laced in sick
,’ my ring tone, specially set for Aiden, sang out, waking me up.
“Hey babe,” I crooned tiredly into the phone, snatching it off the night table.
“Hey, did I wake you?”
“Ya, but its fine. Hearing your voice first thing was nice.”
“Sap. Wanna hang out?”
“Sure, give me, like, a half hour to shower and get over.”
“Meet me at the usual.”
The usual was a spot in front of a park with the best playground, about a black away from his house.
“Alright, I’ll see you there.”
“See you there.” I heard the phone snap shut as he hung up.
Quickly, I showered and threw on some dark wash skinny jeans and an Atreyu shirt. I grabbed an old ragged tiny blue backpack from the ground and stuffed my element hoodie, a water bottle, some crackers, and my wallet in it, knowing I’d be out for most of the day. Slipping into my black converses, I grabbed my skateboard and decided to surprise Aiden by meeting him at his house. He had shown me pictures and given me the address, so I didn’t worry about missing it. I popped my skateboard up into my hand and walked up the stone built path to his house, where I could hear loud noises coming from.
What was happening?
I was about to knock on the door when I heard someone from inside scream, “HOW DARE YOU!”
Then the door pushed open and someone fell into my arms.
“And don’t come back you fag,” a tall, slightly overweight man screamed at the bloody boy in my hands before slamming the door.
I looked down, trying to figure out who it was. Their arms were bruised and their clothes were covered in blood. Had I come to the wrong house?
That’s when it hit me.
“AIDEN!” I yelped, pulling him closer to me.
He whimper pitifully in my arms as I starred down at his tiny figure. How could anyone do this to him?
“Wha-what happened?” I was shocked.
He opened his mouth, blood dribbling down the side, then tried to stammer out, “I-I-I-I.”
“Shhh, shhh,” I whispered to him, trying to comfort him as he could obviously not talk,
its gunna be fine.”
Throwing my skateboard between my back and backpack, I picked him up and cradled him in my arms. I brushed the hair out of his face so I could see the tears still streaking from his olive eyes.
Anger rippled through my body as I starred down at his delicate frame in my arms. The door reopened and a bag flew out and hit Aiden, forcing a little whine out of him. Had he not been in my hands, I would have beat the living shit out of his dad.
I pulled the bag around my shoulder on top of mine and began jogging back towards my house. With every step, Aiden got jostled around a little in my arms and let out a little ‘oomph’ noise, though I did my best to hold him still.
I laid him down on my bed gently, fighting back tears of anger, worry, and sadness. He needed me to be strong for him. I brought in a small towel and began wiping blood off him. He blinked a few times before looking up into my eyes and letting out another small cry.
“Aiden, shhh, shhh, it’ll be fine. I promise.”
“I-I-I,” he stammered again.
“Baby, what happened?”
“I t-told him y-you were my b-b-boyfriend, and h-he b-beat me,” he cried.
I balled my fists in anger, “I’ll kill him.”
Its not like I didn’t get that he had gotten hut because of his dad, but hearing it in words made everything worse. New rage washed threw me, clearing my mind of any other thoughts.
Aiden weakly picked up his hand and placed it on my tense arm which was laying beside him. I looked down at him, his pleading expression riddled with innocence and pain. I kept replaying what he had first said in my mind, though it really wasn’t helping. That’s when I realized something. He had told his dad that I was his boyfriend. His dad had beat him because of me.
Guilt flooded me as I looked at him again. I had done this to him.
“Ok, ok, are you ok?” Stupid question.
“I’m f-fine,” he couldn’t get out a clean sentence.
I ran up the stairs to get him some painkillers, hating myself with a fiery passion. When I returned down stairs I saw my mother standing over him, horrified.
“Mom?” I asked hesitantly, “can Aiden stay with us for a while?”
“S-sure,” my mother stuttered.
“Th-thanks,” he looked up at us appreciatively.
“Uh, I’m going to call an ambulance,” my mother walked up the stairs.
“N-no!” He said hurriedly.
“Aiden! Please! Baby, for me?” I traced my fingers along his face.
He was silent as I batted my eyes and laid a kiss on his cheek.
“Thanks,” I grinned at him, “its only cuz I love you so much. I just wanna make sure you’re safe.”
~ * ~
As it turned out, he was not fine.
One silent ambulance ride later we arrived to find he needed x-rays. After the fact, we were all sitting waiting in a small room where Aiden was, him seated atop the bed.
“I’m gunna go get some coffee, anyone want anything?” My mother jumped up suddenly.
“No, thanks” Aiden and I offered in unison.
As soon as my mom had left the room, Aiden motioned for me to sit next to him. I jumped up next to him and stroked his face gently.
“Ronan,” he whispered.
“Ya, Aidy?” I used my nickname for him.
“I’m scared,” I could hear the tears in his voice.
“I’m never gunna let him hurt you ever again, I promise.”
I pulled him up into my lap where he curled up, sniffling. I stroked his hair and watched, helpless, well his bangs, which were laying over his eye, grew wet with tears.
“I want it to end,” he sobbed.
“It is. Now. You’re never going to have to go back there.”
“What if,” he paused, “what if you’re wrong?”
“I’m not. You’re staying with me. He’s staying away from you.”
Aiden slowed his sobbing as we heard the approach of footsteps from the opposite side of the hallway. He slide out of my lap, but stayed close to me, so our bodies were still brushing. The doctor marched into the room, glancing at his watch. He placed the x-ray in a small machine that lit it up so we could see his bone.
“Aiden,” he glanced at the chart, “your left arm is broken,” he pointed at the picture where there was a clear break in his bone, “see, right there? The nurse will be in in a few minutes to put a cast on your arm.”
He left the room glancing at his watch again.
“Aidy! I’m so sorry! Oh my god!”
“Its fine. Besides, its not like its your fault or anything.”
“But it is! If I wasn’t your boyfriend, then you’d be-” he cut me off.
“I’d be what? Straight? No. I’d still be gay, I’d just be stuck living with my dad! Don‘t you see? If not for you, I‘d just be dead!”
I shook my head in response, “I still say you’d be better off without me.”
“I’d be fucking dead without you. I really, really would.”
The nurse walked into the room with a bunch of bandaging and quickly wrapped his arm, then put it up in a sling.
“Ok, sweetie,” he cringed. He hated being called ‘sweetie,’ “be careful with it, you can take some painkillers, call back here if you have any questions of concerns,” she recited like a medicine bottle.
I helped Aidan down off the table as my mom came back into the room.
“Sorry it took so long, the lines were ridiculously long,” my mother came in and pulled her keys down upon seeing Aiden’s cast.
We drove out of the parking lot slowly, me sitting with Aiden in the back. He was holding onto my hand tightly, pulling his lip with his other, broken armed hand.
“Aiden, careful with your arm,” I reminded him, worried about even just him lifting it.
Still gripping his hand, I turned to the window, watching the trees, telephone poles, and houses fly by wondering if I could really keep my promise and keep him safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah yes, I think breaking your arm would be painful, hense the title. I know, I'm not being very creative with these titles. I may just change them all to song lyrics. But, yes, its coming along a little better, soon these things will get longer.