‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 13

I walked into the apartment where Max, Bryan, and Robert were sitting. Max greeted me with a warm hug. He pulled away and read the pained confusion on my face.

"What's wrong Maddie?"

"I think I have to go home." Max's face fell.

"What do you mean, why?"

"I've had enough vacationing time. I need to go home." Max pulled me into his room.

"What happened between Ronnie and you?"

"Nothing happened. I just feel like I need to be home. I miss Poe." Max forced a grin.

"Of course you do. If that's what you want I'll drive you to the airport."

"I would appreciate that."

"Do you want to wait until Ronnie gets home?"

"I don't think I could take leaving him again."

"Then don’t go! Quit your job, move here, and start over with us."

"I can't keep starting over. I'm going to have to stick it out with the life I've chosen to lead."

Max nodded his head, and hugged me again. We left the room, and entered the living room again. Bryan and Robert were still sitting on the couch with their eyes glued on the TV screen. Max cleared his throat and both of their heads whiped to us.

"Maddie has decided she is going to leave us."

"We'll come visit you down in Cali." Bryan said. I smiled at him. This boy barely speaks, but when he does he says things that make you want to hug him to death.

"You guys better, but you have to promise me one thing."

"What would that be?" Robert asked.

"If you guys come down and visit me," I started.

"When we come down and visit you," Max corrected.

"You guys better not trash my apartment."

"We would never!" Bryan gasped. I walked into Ronnie's room and packed the rest of my stuff. I walked out with all my bags in my hands. Max took one of my bags and so did Bryan and Robert. I was left holding only my purse.

"You guys spoil me." I joked. We left the apartment, and we headed to the airport. It took everything in me to not break down. I had no idea how much I could be hurting Ronnie right now and I didn't want to. We arrived to the airport and Max got out to help me buy a ticket, and to make sure I got to my gate. When I stood at the gate Max hugged me again.
"Please don't tell me how much Ronnie is going to miss me."

"I won't."

"I feel like such a bad person."

"One, you're not a bad person. Two, you have a life besides Vegas. I get that." The announcer annouced that my flight would start boarding.

"I guess I have to go."

"I'll see you soon."

I boarded the airplane, and found my seat in the near back. I pulled out my ipod and turned it on for the forty five minute plan ride. I was shaken awake by a flight attendent. I silently thanked the woman and got my carry on. In the airport I got my other two bags. Outside Jimmie was waiting for me. I ran to him and gave him a huge hug. We got into the car, and Poe was in the back seat waiting for me.

"Hello Poe, did you miss me?" He attacked my face with kisses.
"I take that as a yes."

"I missed you too." Jimmie said and kissed me. He started the car and we headed home.

Once home I collapsed on my bed, but I found that it just wasn't as comfortable as the bed I had slept in back in Vegas.