‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 12

I woke up with Ronnie's arms around my naked body. I didn't feel regret nor did I feel dirty. I moved closer to him and his arms tightened. I smiled into his bare chest and tried falling back asleep. With no luck I slowly unwrapped his arms from around me and got up out of the bed. I gracefully walked across the room, and across the hallway into the bathroom.

I shut the door behind me and locked it. I turned the lights on afterward and looked at myself in the mirror. I was glowing, and it felt weird to me. It was a strange site. I turned on the shower, and let the water temperature get steaming hot before I stepped in. I washed my body and hair. When I was done I turned the water off, and got out of the shower. I found a towel in the cabinet underneath their sink. I wrapped it around me, and walked out of the bathroom. I meant to walk quickly back into Ronnie's room, but Max was already standing in the hallway.

"Morning Maddie, have fun last night?" Max asked doing pelvic thrusts. I laughed and waved him off. I entered Ronnie's room again, shut his door, and locked it. I didn't want Max barging in. I walked to Ronnie's dresser, opened the bottom drawer and found old clothes of mine. From the corner of my eye I could see Ronnie roll over with open eyes.

"Morning gorgeous."

I smiled and replied, "Morning Ronnie."

"You forgot some of your clothes, so I kept them in my empty drawer."

"I noticed. I was just hoping to steal some of your stuff." He got out of bed, and put a pair of boxers on. He walked over to me, and wrapped his arms around me. He kissed my bare shoulder, and turned me around.

"I have to say last night was pretty wild."

I laughed, "I'm glad you enjoyed the ride."

He laughed too and unwrapped his arms from around me.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back." He left the room, and I got dressed. I opened his top drawer trying to find a decent pair of socks. I dug to the bottom of the drawer, and found a small, black, velvet box. I picked it up and opened it. Inside was a gorgeous engagement ring. I felt my breath stop in my throat, and I couldn't breath. I closed the box and put it back. I shut the drawer and stepped away from the piece of furniture. Ronnie entered the room and smiled at me. I gave him a fake smile, and put my shoes on.

"Hey, I have to go and see Michelle. She had a hot date last night, and we need to catch up." His smile slightly fell.

"Oh alright. Want me to come with?"

"No!" I said a little too quickly.
"It's kind of a girl talk type of thing." I covered. He nodded in understanding.

"You want me to get you something to eat before you go?"

"No Ronnie, I'm fine." He grabbed my hand, and I felt myself stiff up.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I pulled my hand away from him, and headed out of the apartment. He followed me to the door, and in the doorway he pulled me back.

"Be safe."

"I will." He kissed me softly, and I left. I hurried down the street to get to Jimmie's. I entered and looked behind me to make sure Ronnie hadn't followed. Michelle was at the counter playing with her hair. She saw me and straightened up.

"You guys had sex."

"Who?"

"You and Ronnie." She said brightly.

"Yeah yeah, that's why I am here."

"Please spare me the graphic details."

"No, it's not about last night. It's about this morning."

"Please tell me you didn't do it this morning too!"

"No, it's what I found in his sock drawer."

"What'd you find?" She hopped over the counter to meet me.

"An engagement ring! What if he has a girlfriend, and he didn't tell me? What if he was going to propose to her, but now I'm in the picture, and I ruined it? I'm a whore!"

"Madison, stop it. You are not a whore. I highly doubt Ronnie has a girlfriend. It could just be his grandma's or something."

"That is so illogical. It looked brand new!"

"You never know. Did you ask him?"

"No, I freaked out and came directly here."

"Oh course you did." She looked at the wall clock.
"I have to get back to work. The new manager is a hard ass."

"What happened to Chad?"

"He left. You, don't worry about it, and don't do anything drastic."

"I won't." She hugged me.

"You're blowing it way out of proportion." I left the store and headed back to Max's apartment. I didn't feel any better than I had when I left.