‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 27

I could only remember what had happened before I blacked out. Everything else was blurry. I opened my eyes as quick as possible, but I then regretted ever doing it. The room was bright, and the light burned my retinas. I muttered swears underneath my breath.

"Maddie?"

I opened my eyes again, and they adjusted to the light. Max was sitting in a puke green armchair. His knuckles were turning white from gripping the arm rests so tight. I gave him a weak smile.

"Hey Max."

"How are you feeling?"

"I don't know. I feel numb."

"At least you're not in pain." He gave me a weak smile back.

"What happened, and where's Ronnie?"

"Someone shot you. I don't know where Ronnie is."

"What do you mean you don't know where he is?" Being shot really didn't peak my interest. The missing love of my life was much more important to me. I wanted to get the event of my near death experience out of my head. Wouldn't you?

"He was freaking out. He thought you weren't going to make it. He left last night, but he hasn't come back yet."

"What's the date?"

"You've been unconscious for a few days. It's Wednesday."

"Wednesday," I whispered. We heard a commotion coming from outside the door.

"I know you guys don't let animals in the hospital, but I don't care. I bet you when she wakes up she'll want to see her dog....Don't touch me or the dog." The door opened and Steve walked inside.

"Poe!"

"See, I told you." Steve put Poe down on my bed, and he ran up to me slobbering me with kisses.

"Thank you Steve." I hugged Poe tightly never wanting to let him go.
"When do I get to come out of here?"

"Tonight if everything goes well," The doctor said walking into the room.
"Everything has healed perfectly. Nothing was damaged. You just had a great amount of blood loss, but since you've been sleeping everything is back to normal."

"Thank you."

"We just have to make sure you're ready to leave."

"Oh believe me, I am ready to leave." We all shared a laugh, and the doctor left. He went to get the release forms.
"Steve, have you seen Ronnie?"

"He's in California."

"What?"

"He brought all his stuff back Sunday. He's been up there ever since."

I looked at Max. He had guilt etched into his face. Steve got the clues and left the room. I looked at Max speechless. Why did he lie to me? I didn't know, and at this moment I wasn't sure if I wanted to find out.

"I would have told you but," He started, but I cut him off.

"But what? You thought I couldn't take it or something?"

"I don't know. I didn't want you to be depressed. You just woke up from being shot. You could have died, and the last thing I wanted to happen was you finding out Ronnie left the state."

"Do you know why he left?"

"He didn't want to watch you lie in a hospital bed all day until you woke up. We weren't sure when you would wake up. It was killing him."

"I need to get back to my apartment."

"What?"

"Tonight, I need to get back to California."