‹ Prequel: You Love To Hate Me
Sequel: Far From Home

Always Hurts Looking Back

Chapter 28

I walked through the doors. Steve was behind me with Poe in his arms. The entire apartment was dark, and it had no sign of Ronnie. I searched our bedroom, and then every other room. I went back to the living room where Steve was sitting with Poe.

"Did he say he was going anywhere when he got here?"

"No he didn't. You have no idea where he could be?"

"Not a clue," I faintly said turning on the lamp in the living room. I sat down on the couch and took Poe's leash off. He shook his body and ran into the kitchen.

"What do you plan on doing now?"

"I guess I'll just chill out here. I'll wait for him to get home. I have to go to work tomorrow."

"Do you need me to stay here with you?"

"Nah, I'm good. You go home or something and get some rest."

"Will do doll face." I laughed at the nickname, and I walked him to the door. Once we hugged goodbye, I shut the door behind him and locked it. I turned the lights off in the living room and went to my bedroom. I threw my luggage on my bed and sat down next to it. I didn't feel like sleeping. I was worried, and I would be worried until Ronnie came home.

I got some pajamas to change in to. I went to the bathroom and prepared to take a shower. I looked for something out a place. I looked for a clue. Without any luck I started the shower. I stripped off my current clothes and stepped into the shower.

Once I was done I turned the water off, and I grabbed my towel. I wrapped it around my body to dry off a little before I got out of the shower. Once dried enough to my satisfaction I got out of the shower and got dressed.

I went to the kitchen to try and find something to eat. If it wasn't obvious enough I was trying to prolong me falling asleep as much as possible. I opened the fridge and saw some containers that weren't there when we had left. I took them out and looked inside. I could instantly tell it was Chinese food. That damn Ronnie got Chinese food without me.

I chuckled to myself and heated up the Chinese food. I put them onto a paper plate, brought it to the living room, turned on the TV, sat down on the couch, and ate my food. With one hand I flipped through the channels on the TV until it came to one particular late night movie. Encino Man. The movie brought back memories.

"Ronnie, you're ridiculous!" I laughed as he threw popcorn in my hair. He had a big cheesy grin on his face. We had been trying to find a movie to watch for about forty minutes now. I had made enough popcorn to feed an army, and by the looks of it, it seemed to be half gone.

"Oh Maddie, I think you look gorgeous with the addition of popcorn in your hair."

"You're a loser." The channel changed and Encino Man was on.

"Keep it here. Keep it here."

"Why?"

"This movie is amazing!"

"I've never seen it." He looked at me quite shocked. He then began to describe every scene in every detail to me. Once he was done, he was out of breath. I put the big bowl of popcorn on the table in front of us.

To be a complete ass I looked at him and said, "I'm sorry. I completely dazed out. Could you tell me what the movie's about again?"

He looked at me and laughed. He stood up only slightly and tackled me. I started laughing insanely as he started tickling me everywhere. He knew I was insanely ticklish. I cried out for him to stop, but he didn't stop.

"Ronnie, please please stop."

"Why should I?" He stopped tickling me for a few seconds to ask.

"Because you're the most amazing, awesome, sexy, hot, tough, sex god I know." I said while laughing. He stopped tickling me and forcefully crashed his lips onto mine. I ran my fingers through his long hair. He bit my bottom lip, and I couldn't help but smile into the kiss. He pulled away and smiled his charming smile at me.

"Maddie, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you so much."

"I love you too Ronnie."

"Forever and always."


I felt tears run down my cheeks. Was there still a forever and always? If he truly loved me he would have stayed in Vegas right? I wasn't so sure anymore. I had to give him time. I had to wait and hear his side of the story. I didn't know if I would believe him though. Ronnie was notorious for his lies.