Death Eaters... Forever?

School again

I shivered in apprehension as I found myself in the nightmare room.
“Kyera.” I turned, and sure enough, there was Tom Riddle – in his teenage body for now. “Are you scared of me?”

“Yes,” I replied bluntly, but lifted my chin defiantly. He chuckled.
“I don’t blame you. I’ve been most inhospitable toward you, but I shall stop that now. I want to be your friend.”

“Why don’t you just use the Imperius Curse and control me, instead of trying to win my trust?” I demanded, then regretted giving him the idea.

“Because Imperius does not work against you – it is a mind spell, and no mind spells work against you.” I smiled. Well, that’s helpful. “I would rather have your loyalty than your enmity,” he told me sincerely.

“I don’t share your views. Muggles and Mudbloods are good people. Everyone is born equal, and it’s wrong to judge them on their ancestry.” He simply smirked at me.
“Whatever you say, child.”

And then it was morning. I yawned widely and had a shower before trudging down to the kitchen. Severus had left in the night, a house elf informed me, but this didn’t affect my good mood – after all, there was less than a week left of the holidays. I was excited – it was my fifth year, and I’d be able to see my friends again. Too bad it was Fred and George’s last year.

“Kyera.” I looked up at Lucius’ voice. “I’m going to Diagon Alley today – if you would like to come and get your school books, you can get ready now.” I nodded.

“Yes, thank you.”

I got changed into a pair of robes, making sure my unusual silver tattoo was covered. I was feeling much happier now that school was so close – it would be an easy year for me, as I’d almost finished my advanced lessons. Technically, I could sit seventh year exams this year and finish school, but there was always more to learn, and besides, I’d miss my friends.
Lucius disappeared into Knockturn Alley, leaving me alone to find my books for school. I’d received the list a week ago, so I pulled it out of my pocket and went into the bookstore to find three books. The first, Astronomy for fifth years, was easy to find, but the second and third – Magical Beasts of the Southern Continents and Dangerous Potions and their Antidotes – were harder to look for. I finally found them, paying the wizard at the counter and leaving the shop.

I also bought another cauldron for Potions, owl treats for Midnight, and a few other small things that were also on the list.

The rest of the week passed without incident, and I had no more nightmares (or whatever they were). On Friday, however, Lucius found me in my room, requesting my presence in the dungeon. Dungeon? I thought, laughing to myself. But Lucius was even more formal than usual, and my stomach dropped.

I followed him down to the dungeon, and he ushered me in. Looking up, my step faltered. I tried to back out, but instead backed into Lucius’ solid form.

“Hello, Kyera,” Lord Voldemort smiled at me. Walking over, he grabbed my chin gently, forcing me to look directly at him.

“I see the sleep has done you good. I must say, I was surprised at our last meeting. No one has dared given me their honest opinion without my express permission in a long while. I have thought it over, however, and I believe I am beginning to see your point of view.” I opened and shut my mouth in surprise. Voldemort, seeing my point of view?

“You know I won’t join you, so just give up while you’re ahead,” I told him once I’d got my thoughts together. Even I was surprised at my own audacity. Lucius was looking at me as if I’d suddenly grown three heads, while the Dark Lord merely chuckled.

“Feisty child, aren’t you?” I stared at him boldly, having forgotten my fear.

I felt a tickle at the back of my head, and strengthened my mind barriers gleefully.

“Not bad, little one, but I can do better.” Suddenly, the tickling turned to a searing hot pain, and my barriers began to crumble uselessly. However, before they were totally destroyed, Voldemort stopped his attack. “See what I can do?” The Dark Lord said in a dangerously gentle voice.

“What are you doing here?” I managed to ask while I replaced my broken mind barriers.

“I simply wanted to meet you in person. It’s been so long since anyone has opposed my will after I have tortured them. I find it exciting.” I looked at him in disgust. So I was simply an exciting new toy, was I? I smiled at that. I had much more up my sleeve than even he knew.

Lucius was watching this exchange staunchly, barely moving. Lord Voldemort still had a hold on my chin. I grabbed his arm and pushed it away – or tried to. He was much stronger than I’d realised, even stronger than me. However, he took his hand off my chin, smirking.

“Lucius, turn away.” He did so obediently.

As I watched, the Dark Lord turned into his much younger, more comely form. His brown-blonde hair hid part of his face, and I repressed a strange urge to brush it away.

He bespoke my mind. Will you join me if I stop my plans to kill Mudbloods?

No, I replied. You and I both know that you will not do that.

He smiled. True. You are very perceptive. You would be a formidable enemy. Or a formidable ally. Your choice, Kyera, but I will win you over eventually.

“Lucius, take Kyera upstairs. She needs her rest for school on Monday,” Voldemort ordered. Lucius hid his surprise and obeyed immediately. I followed him upstairs gratefully. I looked back before the door closed, and Voldemort, once again in his boyish form, smiled and blew me a kiss.

I boarded the train with my baggage. Midnight was in his cage, his great amber eyes looking up at me reproachfully. He hooted softly, protesting at the cage. “Get over it,” I told him.

Looking for my friends, I spotted Fred in a carriage by himself and joined him.

“George, Harry and Ron have gone to find Hermione,” he explained. “She lost her cat.”
“Not again!” I groaned dramatically, and Fred grinned. They’d be forever!

We caught up while we waited; George’s relationship with the girl he’d been dating hadn’t survived the summer, but Fred said that George was already over it. They’d also started a mail-order service for their Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes shop. They’d invested the 1000 galleons that Harry had given them (his prize money from the Tri-wizard Tournament) into their future shop, and apparently some of their old inventions had already been a hit. I grinned at this – I’d helped them frequently with their ideas, which had been how we’d become such good friends.

“Hey, Kyera! Have you seen my toad?” Neville Longbottom, a tall stocky Gryffindor in my year, stood at the door, looking as though he’d lost his best friend.

“Look for Hermione’s cat and you’ll probably find your toad, too,” I replied meanly. Neville blanched and hurried off.

“That wasn’t very nice,” Fred said reprovingly.

“I know, but cats don’t usually eat toads, so I’m sure his is perfectly healthy.” However, when Hermione came back with her ginger pug-like cat, she told me that she’d seen Neville’s toad in Draco Malfoy’s carriage.

“Are you sure?” I asked angrily. She nodded. “I’ll be back soon.” I walked off on a mission.
“Malfoy, have you seen Neville’s toad?” I wasn’t going to take any chances and attack him for no reason.

“What, this one here?” He smirked, gesturing to what at first appeared to be a suspended green blob.

“Give him back, Malfoy,” I warned him.

“What are you gonna do, Wilson?” I sighed. It was like déjà vu, reminding me of what I’d done to Pansy for ruining my Prom dress.

“Just give him back,” I sighed. “Or don’t you want me to give you the antidote for the potion I gave you this morning?” I’d never bluffed before, so I hoped it worked; I was running out of ideas.

Malfoy went pale. “You didn’t give me any potion,” he said, attempting a confident smile.
“Are you sure?”

“Fine, have your stupid frog back,” he shoved the poor toad into my hands. “Just give me the antidote – if you really did give me any potion,” he added.

“Nope, I was bluffing,” I replied happily, walking back to my own carriage.

Luckily, Neville was already there, looking at Hermione’s cat with narrowed eyes.

“Hey, Neville, look who I found with Malfoy!” I held up the toad, who gave a croak of surprise at the sudden movement. Neville’s face brightened immediately.

“Thanks, Kyera!” He took the toad off my hands.

“Kyera saves the day again,” George grinned at me.

“Gee, now all I need is my own theme music!” I replied, laughing.