Hello Beautiful

He Wants WHAT?

“Basketball,” they all said at the same time, grinning identical evil grins. It was so cute. They actually thought they were going to win.

“Rules?”

“Half court, take the ball out before you shoot, 15 minute halves,” said Nick.

He had no clue that he had just made my day.

“Deal,” I said, trying not to smile as we shook on it. “What do you want to bet?” I asked, turning to Ellen.

“Well, Laura, if you win, I’ll never talk about your love life again, and I’ll declare you the winner of our little dance contest, but if Nick, Kevin, and Joe win, then I get to pick out your next concert outfit.”

“Ok, I can deal with that.” I knew I was going to win anyway, so it didn’t actually matter, but whatever.

“I want to put a little bet on this too,” said Joe. “If you win, we will throw the biggest, most amazing, loudest, brightest, craziest, most insane Sweet Sixteen party for you that the world has ever seen, including the car of your choice, but if we win, then we don’t have to do anything for your birthday and we act like we have forgotten it and you can’t say anything.”

“Sweet!!! Deal!” Awesome, I was getting a car for winning a basketball game!

“I want to make a bet too,” Nick added. “If you win, I’ll give you my green converses, my pink and white shirt, and my blue tie.”

“OMIGOSH, I love that outfit!”

“But if you lose, you’re not allowed to talk for a month.” He grinned wickedly.

“Am I allowed to sing at our concerts?”

Nick deliberated. “Yea, but only so that Disney doesn’t dump you for bailing on them.”

“Deal.” We shook on it.

“What about me?” Kevin asked, annoyed.

“Wanna bet?” I said.

“Like hell I do,” he said. “If you win, I’ll buy you that jacket Nick said you liked in New York for your birthday, but if you lose, you have to buy me a yellow Porsche 911 Turbo for my birthday.”

Oh no he didn’t. That’s MY car!

“If I lose, you want me to buy you a CAR?”

“Yup, that’s the deal, take it or leave it.”

“And if you don’t take Kevin’s bet, I’m withdrawing mine,” said Ellen.

“Me too,” Joe said.

“And me,” Nick added.

“Well, that’s too bad, cause I’m taking Kevin’s bet and you guys are gonna lose!”

“Yea right!” Nick looked doubtful as he spoke though, as if he knew he was in for it, which he most certainly was...