Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Surprise!

Dahlia's P.O.V.

I rolled over and stretched, not bothering to open my eyes quite yet. I didn't want to wake from the wonderful dream I'd been having for the past couple of nights, but the breeze coming through my open window caused me to shiver. I sat up immediately when it clicked: I had shut my window the night previous before I'd fallen asleep.

"Oh, my God!"

A large plush teddy bear sat on my bed beside me, holding four enormous lilies and an envelope. On my floor were dozens upon dozens of sheets of paper, each baring the words: I'm sorry. In the corner, a stack of CDs covered my desk. I pushed my unruly black curls out of my face and grabbed the envelope from the electric-orange bear. Once I'd carefully torn the seal, I pulled out a card.

Dahlia-
I am sorry. I really wish I hadn't been such a fool. I had a lot of time on my hands to think (you know, what with the whole "insomnia" thing)
---I smiled at the inside joke--- as you can probably see by the papers on the floor. (by the way, it took four 5-subject notebooks to make those. Please forgive me.

Love,
Emmett

P.S. We won't be in school. Camping trip. The weather is supposed to clear up by noon.
P.S.S. I hope you like the teddy bear. I remembered fluorescent orange is your favourite colour.


I brushed away the tears in my eyes and walked to my desk. As I dressed for school, I listened to the first CD. One song in particular became lodged in my head, and I began humming it while I brushed my teeth. The sight of the Jeep outside stopped me in my tracks.

"Come on, Dahlia. You can't be late again."

Emmett helped me into the back and stood behind me, one hand on either side of me. Edward pressed on the gas pedal, not as bad as before, but still enough to startle me. We reached the school quickly, and, before I got out of the vehicle, Emmett stopped me.

"Did you get my surprise?"

"Yes. And you're forgiven."

He flashed a smile. "I'll try to be here by the time you get out of school."

"'Kay."

"Have fun, young child!" Edward teased, and I grimaced at him.

"Shut up, old man."

Alice's wind-chime laugh was the loudest; I turned around and walked into Building 2.

"Your boyfriend's not here," Christie remarked as we sat down with our lunch.

"Nope. They went camping."

"So you guys are official?"

"No. We didn't talk for over a month, so he came by and apologised this morning."

"What happened?"

"Um, Edward heart a rumour about someone asking ---or at least planning to ask---me to Prom. Apparently, Emmett wants to be my date."

"He so likes you."

"Do you think so?"

"It's obvious. He won't talk to very many girls, and if he does, it's in a 'I'm not interested in at all but I'll pretend I am for the sake of killing boredom' manner. He got angry because someone else wanted to take you to Prom. Face it, girl. Cullen likes you."

"Hey, Dahlia. Got a question for you."

"Hi, Kyle. What's up?"

"Would you like to go to Prom with me?"

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I already have a date."

"I-it's okay. No biggie."

"Christie doesn't have a date, though."

"Dahlia!"

"You don't!" I replied as Kyle inquired, "Really?"

"Yes, really."

I smiled and stood. "I'm going to Algebra."

They both ignored me, and I headed out to Building 4. The teacher gave me a warm greeting and then proceeded to look for someone behind me.

"Jasper won't be joining us today. His father took them all camping."

"Oh, of course. I didn't notice the sun was shining. Would you mind passing on a message for me?"

"I'd be glad to."

"Ask Jasper if he'd like being a tutor?"

"I'll do that."

"Thank you."

"No problem."