Dying Doesn't Seem So Cruel

Forest Visits

"Edward, take her books. We're going for a walk."

I followed Emmett down the road, away from the school, and he smiled into the grey mist. Hesitantly, I reached out and slid my hand into his. His chilled fingers squeezed gently around mine, and he stopped walking. I could faintly hear the river, flowing on its winding path through the woods; birds chirped and danced from branch to branch. My heart raced as Emmett leaned toward me.

"Hold on."

Within seconds, I found myself on his back, clinging to him, my legs wrapping his waist; my arms circled his neck. He was speeding through the forest; everything was a blur. I closed my eyes tightly and breathed deeply. He set me on my feet moments later.

"Well, um, that was. . .fun."

"Yes. I'm not as fast as Edward though."

"But you're much better looking."

He smirked. "Thanks."

"Uh. . .why are we here?"

"There are some things we need to talk about."

"Such as?"

"Your dream."

"It was just a nightmare. Nothing big."

"Please tell me."

"I'm down by the river, alone. It's really late, maybe one in the morning. Something streaks by, and I'm scared. But I look in the water, see my face, then your face appears."

"Oh, so now I'm part of your nightmares?" he teased.

"You kill me. In my dream . . . you kill me."

"Dahlia---"

"I know you'll never do it, because I trust you. I do. But, like I said, it's just a nightmare."

"Let me talk."

"Alright."

"I will not hurt you. I would leave before I could. Are you sure you want to go to Prom with me?"

"Yes."

"I have another question for you."

"Ask away."

"If I told you that I wanted to try a relationship with you, what would you say?"

"I would say that I would like that."

"Stay still, please."

He gracefully scooted closer to me and pressed his forehead to mine. His bright amber irises captivated me. I parted my lips slightly, unthinking; he held my face in one hand, tenderly cradling my jaw, and leaned forward. My heart stopped when his lips touched mine, the began galloping wildly in my chest.

It had started raining, but we stayed in the clearing. Emmett's jacket was beneath my back as I laid on it, and he was leaning over me, an elbow on each side of my head, to keep my torso dry. My own coat covered my legs. He pressed yet another kiss to my mouth.

"It's not so difficult once I've known you for four years."

"I don't want any of this to be hard on you."

"It's always going to be had. It's part of our existence."

"I know. I just want you to be happy."

"I am happy. I have a great family, a wonderful education, and a pretty decent life. It just got better in the past, oh, half decade or so."

"I'm glad. I don't want you to resent me."

"How could I? You mean a lot to me, much more than I could imagine a human to mean."

"Then leave her be."

A low hiss sliced though the air, and I realised it came from Emmett. I stared through the trees beyond and saw a young man about my age coming from the dark.

"You're invading on our land, mutt."

"I thought Seth was just spreading rumours."

"About what?"

"You being with a human."

"Excuse me, but said 'human' is in your presence, and said 'human' is confused."

"Dahlia, this is Jacob."

"Jacob Black. I live on the rez."

"So what are you doing all the way over here?"

"Stay out of this, 'Lia."

"No. What are you doing here?"

"To remind Popsicle of the treaty."