Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

The police captain and the Turk

Once back at the compound Tom greeted us who led us into the house. I immediately received a hug from Connie whose eyes were welling up with tears again. I gave her a reassuring smile as Michael gave her a hug. Once he pulled away I noticed Tom give him a look and Mike then followed him. I knew they were going to talk business so did I. I knew I shouldn’t have followed but I did though I know I’d get an earful from Mike or Sonny, or both.

I followed anyway, Mike was about to say something but I gave him a slight glare. I knew he wouldn’t want me to get angry with him. When we got in the room Tom was the first to go in and I noticed him and Sonny got into a fight right off. Sonny lowered his voice as he seen Mike and I. He then pulled both of us into a bear hug, as soon as he pulled away he kept a hand on one of our shoulders.

“How are you guys holding up?” He asked looking a little worried.

“Fine,” Mike responded quickly.

“A little stunned but all right, this just happened so fast. How is he?” I asked.

“He’ll pull through Adriana;” he replied a smile returning to that handsome face of his.

A few hours later I wondered where Julia was in all of this mess. Connie told me she went out with someone to get her mind off of things. I shrugged my shoulders; I was in for a restless night. After a delicious meal made by Carmella, Mike, Tom, Sonny, Clemenza, Tessio and I stood in the kitchen. Mike then made a motion for me to go with him; I walked over and wrapped my arm around his outstretched one.

“Where are you going?” Sonny asked, the tow of us turned around facing him. I couldn’t help but notice his eyes dart to how our arms were.

“Out,” Mike replied matching Sonny’s tone.

As Sonny dipped some bread into some tomato sauce he looked at Clemenza and said, “send some bodyguards.”

“We don't need them, Sonny. We’re just going to see Pop in the hospital,” Michael demanded.

“Sollozzo knows Mike's a civilian,” Clemenza added in.

“Ok,” Sonny said giving in, “but be careful you two.”

I gave him a reassuring smile before we turned and left. When we arrived at the hospital the day had turned to night and it seemed oddly quiet. Michael noticed this too as we walked slowly over to the steps. There was no one on the streets and inside of the hospital looked as deserted as outside. My suspicions were correct when we entered the hospital it was really quiet.

“I’m going to check to see if there’s anyone here I want you to go to,” at this he picked a piece of paper out of his pocket, “room four a, and I don’t want you to stop for anything got me.”

I shook my head and started off to his room. I almost ran up the stairs and tripped over my feet as I kept looking for four a. I slowed my pace to catch my breath, soon enough I found his room. Before entering I heard footsteps, I turned around to see Michael coming up the hall a smile forming on the both of our lips.

The two us slowly opened the door to a darkened room almost afraid at what we’d find. Lit by the moonlight through the window, we can see a figure in the hospital bed alone in the room, and under a transparent oxygen tent. All that can be heard is the steady though strained breathing. Slowly we walked over to it, and become very relieved to see his father, my godfather securely asleep. Tubes hang from a steel gallows beside the bed, and run to his nose and mouth.

“What are you doing here?” A voice asked. Startled we both almost jumped as we looked to see it was only a nurse, “you're not supposed to be here now.”

“I'm Michael Corleone, this is my father. What happened to the detectives who were guarding him?” He asked almost sounding demanding.

“Oh your father just had too many visitors. It interfered with the hospital service. The police came and made them all leave just ten minutes ago,” her voice seemed to change, “but don't worry. I look in on him.”

Michael looked sour, I knew I felt the same way as him. We knew something bad was bound to happen.

“You just stand here one minute,” he said trailing off and going over to the phone, I knew he’d be calling Sonny. All I heard was what Mike was saying.

“Sonny...Sonny--Jesus Christ, I'm down at the hospital. I came down late. There's no one here. None of Tessio's people--no detectives, no one. The old man is completely unprotected,” he then waited a couple of seconds. “I won't panic,” he then hung up and walked over to my side and kissed my cheek.

“You cannot stay here...I'm sorry,” the nurse somewhat demanded, I glared at her which made her stop saying anything else.

I looked at Michael whose hatred radiated from him, “you and I are going to move my father right now...to another room on another floor...Can you disconnect those tubes so we can wheel the bed out?” He demanded coldly.

“Absolutely not! We have to get permission from the Doctor,” the nurse replied.

“If you don’t I will,” I said.

“You've read about my father in the papers. You've seen that no one's here to guard him. Now I've just gotten word that men are coming to this hospital to kill him. Believe me and help me,” Michael put in.

At this the nurse looked frightened, “We don't have to disconnect them, we can wheel the stand with the bed.”

I walked slowly behind them as they rolled the bed, the stand, and all the tubes silently down the corridor. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs as we were about halfway down the corridor. I noticed that Mike heard them too since he stopped dead in his tracks.

“Hurry, into there,” they then pushed it into the first available room. Michael peeked out from the door while I stood behind him. The footsteps are louder; then they emerge. It is one of the guys who was at Connie’s wedding.

“Who is it?” Michael asked stepping out of the room, I just peeked out.

“Michael...do you remember me, Enzo, the baker's helper to Nazorine, now his son-in-law,” the man replied.

“Enzo, get out of here. There's going to be trouble.”

A look of fear swept through Enzo's face, “if there...will be trouble...I stay with you, to help. I owe it to the Godfather.”

“Go outside; stand in front...I'll be out in a minute,” he then walked back in the room and looked at me, “when the time comes I want you to stand inside the main doors ok, but I want you to stay ducked down I’ll call for you all right.”

At this I nodded my head then placed my hand on my godfathers hand. I felt a little movement and looked at his face.

“He's awake,” the nurse said sounding frightened.

Michael then looked at his father, his eyes are open, though he cannot speak. He then touched his face tenderly.

“Pop...Pop, it's me Michael. Shhhh, don't try to speak. There are men who are coming to try to kill you. But I'm with you...I'm with you now...”

Vito tried to speak...but cannot. Mike tenderly put his finger to his father's lips.

Outside the hospital is Enzo was pacing back and forth the flowers as his only weapon. Michael exits the hospital and moves to him as I stood away from the windows waiting for his signal. They both stand under a lamppost in the cold December night. They are both frightened I could tell.

“Ok Adriana they’re gone,” I heard Mike say, I rushed out and he hugged me.

Another moment went by and in the distance we heard the sound of police sirens. They are clearly coming toward the hospital, getting louder and louder. Michael heaved a sigh of relief as did I. In a second, a patrol car makes a screaming turn in front of the hospital; then two more squad cars follow with uniformed police and detectives. He smiles his relief and starts toward them. Just then two huge, burly policemen suddenly grab his arms while another frisks him. I could do nothing but watch. Then the massive police captain, spattered with gold braid and scrambled eggs on his hat, with beefy red face and white hair seems furious. I remember seeing his name in the paper, I believe it was McCluskey.

“I thought I got all you guinea hoods locked up. Who the hell are you and what are you doing here?” He demands.

Another cop standing nearby nodded towards him “he's clean, Captain.”

I noticed Michael study McCluskey closely, “what happened to the detectives who were supposed to be guarding my father?” He asked quietly

“You punk-hood. Who the hell are you to tell me my business. I pulled them off. I don't care how many Dago gangsters kill each other. I wouldn't lift a finger to keep your old man from getting knocked off. Now get the hell out of here; get off this street you punk, and stay away from this hospital,” he replied furiously.

“I’ll stay until you put guards around my fathers room,” Michael demanded.

“Phil, lock this punk up.”

“The Kid's clean, Captain...He's a war hero, and he's never been mixed up in the rackets,” A detective said.

“God dam it, I said lock him up. Put the cuffs on him.” McCluskey responded furiously once more.

“How much is the Turk paying you to set my father up, Captain?” Michael demanded while getting in his face.

Without any warning, McCluskey leans back and hits Mike squarely on the jaw with all his weight and strength. Mike groans, and lifts his hand to his jaw. I was in shock at this moment. He looked at McCluskey; and then fainted just as Tom and Clamenza's men arrived.