Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

Good-byes are always hard

The next day I was still a little angry with Michael who tried to make it up with me every moment he could. He left near the afternoon to meet up with Clemenza, Julia was out again and I was bored. Leaving out a sigh I decided to go over to my godparents house early. When I got there Sonny and Tom were sitting at the table.

“You got here just in time we just ordered Chinese food,” Sonny beamed at me I couldn’t help but smile back.

I then took a seat at the table next to Sonny and sighed, he looked at me to see if something was wrong. I just shook my head and let out a yawn, which caused a chain reaction with the other two. Five minutes later Michael, Clemenza and Tessio walked in and a few button men brought the food in. Sonny stood up to talk to Mike.

“You ready?” He asked, “did Clemenza tell you be sure to drop the gun right away?”

“A million times,” Michael replied with a sigh.

“Sollozzo and McCluskey are going to pick you up in an hour and a half on Times Square, under the big Camels sign,” Sonny informed him.

“We don't let Mike go until we have the hostage, Sonny,” Tom warned.

“It's okay...the hostage is outside playing pinochle with three of my men,” Clemenza chimed in.

Just then the phone rang in the room next to the dining room. Sonny looked up with a glimmer in his eyes, “that could be a Tattaglia informer with the meeting place.”

Tom walked over to the phone and picked it up and wrote something down.

“One of Tattaglia's people?” Sonny asked.

“No. Our informer in McCluskey's precinct. Tonight at 8:00 he signed out for Louis' Restaurant in the Bronx. Anyone know it?” Tom asked.

“Sure, I do. It's perfect for us. A small family place with big booths where people can talk in private. Good food. Everybody minds their business. Perfect,” at this he moved to the table and made a drawing, “this is the entrance, Mike. When you finish just walk out and turn left, then turn the corner. Clemenza, you gotta work fast to plant the gun. They got an old- fashioned toilet with a space between the water container and the wall. We can tape the gun behind there,” Tessio replied.

“Mike, they're gonna frisk you in the car. You'll be clean so they won't worry 'bout nothing. In the restaurant, wait and talk a while, and then ask permission to go. See? Then when you come out, don't waste time; don't sit down...you come out blasting. And don't take chances. In the head, two shots apiece. And out as fast as your legs can move,” Clemenza added.

“I want somebody very good, very safe to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand,” Sonny fumed.

“The gun will be there,” Clemenza assured him, and myself who was getting a little worried. Michael noticed this since I was biting my lip and put a hand on my shoulder.

“You're on, kid...I'll square it with Mom your not seeing her before you left,” Sonny said to Mike.

“We gotta move...” Clemenza pushed on.

“O.K. How long do you think before I can come back?” Michael asked.

“Probably a year...” Sonny replied.

“ Jesus, I don't know... “ Tom said sounding like he was going to crack, he wasn’t the only one. At this time we were at the door getting ready to watch him leave.

“Can you do it Mike?” Sonny asked with his hands on Michael’s shoulders. He nodded his head and started out the door. I grabbed him then swung him around and enveloped him in a hug.

That night Sonny stayed with me comforting me. Michael had called me before he left, he had told me we should break up until he got back. I feel terrible that he did something like this to me again.