Power, Passion, Betrayal, It's All in the Family

Fredo's feelings

The days went by as I waited for Michael’s return even though I knew it wouldn’t be for another twelve to twenty-four months. I missed him for the most part but I had Julia to keep me company and make me laugh. Now that Michael was out of the picture and Sonny was very busy, as was Tom, Fredo kept looking my way more than ever. I started worrying that he was starting to have feelings for me. I knew in my heart I could never feel for him that way and would hate to break his heart.

“What are you up to tonight?” Fredo asked as we sat out on my patio chairs.

“Absolutely nothing Fredo, I might just read a book,” I responded almost sounding bored.

“Oh because there’s a movie playing tonight that you might like.”

I thought about it for a second and realized it had been a long time since I was to a movie. I looked over at Fredo who had a pleading look in his eyes.

“It can’t hurt to go see a movie; I haven’t been there in a long time.”

At this his face lit up, “how about going out to a cafe later to get some coffee?”

“Sure that would be nice, when will we be leaving?”

“A couple of hours, the movie’s called ‘it happened in Brooklyn,’” he said.

“Well let me get ready,” I told him as I made my way into the house, he followed, “who’s in it by the way?” I asked as I started brushing the little knots out of my hair.

“Frank Sinatra.”

I smiled, “now I see why you said I’d like it, you know I love his work.”

I looked in his direction to see a cheeky grin on his face. At that moment Julia walked into the living room where the two of us were now standing. At first she looked a little confused but then she shook it off.

“You guys going out?” She asked.

“Yup to a movie then to a cafe, I probably won’t be too late getting home. I’ll take my key just in case all right,” I replied.

“All right have fun you two, don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” she said laughing near the end of her sentence.

It took us awhile to get to the theatre and get our tickets but as we got in the seats I felt calm. Half way through the movie Fredo suavely put his arm around me, I tensed up a little fearing my thoughts were right. The rest of the movie was fantastic even though I was thinking of ways to make Fredo not hate me when I told him how I felt. I bit my lip as he opened the car door to let me in. When we reached the cafe he opened the door once again to let me in. After we had ordered and got our drinks we sat down at a secluded booth.

“Adriana,” he whispered, “I don’t know how to tell you this.”

“Fredo, please you know I still have feelings for you brother,” I told him, I could tell his heat was breaking.

“I thought you might say that, I’m nothing like my brothers. I’ll never be, I’m useless I can’t even get a girl.”

“Don’t say that, I know you will I’m just not the one. You’re not useless by the way I love having you around.”

“Let’s just go home it’s getting late.”

“All right Fredo, remember you can always talk to me. We’ll always be friends no matter what happens.”

He smiled, “you said that to me when we were younger.”

“And I’ll never go back on that Fredo, never.”

I thought I heard him say ‘never say never’ under his breath but it could’ve been the sleep coming on. As he stopped in my driveway I gave him a kiss on the cheek which made him blush slightly.

“I had fun tonight Freddy, goodnight.”

“Night Adriana see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow,” I then got out of the car and somehow made it up to my room. It was there I remembered Michael wanted me to see that movie with him. I couldn’t help but wonder how he felt right now.