Lighthouse

Gift

10 Years Later

I had grown used to being alone. I was able to get by each day of the past 10 years by holding onto the memory of the last bit of human contact I had had. I always thought of Gerard. I knew nothing about him other than his name, but he was all I thought about.

All I had now was that memory of Gerard, Anna, and this lighthouse. Anna took care of me. Anna was my family. She was my friend. What she didn't know, is that I hated her. I didn't let it show though, because she still frightened me. She is dead after all.

Dead. Everyone who knew me probably thought I was dead. I'm sure I looked dead. But I wasn't. I was still very much alive. Anna took care of me. I hated her for that. I sometimes wish she would have let me drown. Anything would have been more bearable than this way of life.

"Riley," I heard Anna's voice. "Happy birthday."

Was it really my birthday?

"Thank you," I said quietly, not questioning Anna. She appeared out of the shadows in my room.

"Will you come with me?" she asked, tilting her head to the side slightly. "I have a surprise for you."

I stood up from my bed. Anna smiled when she saw this. We left my room, heading for the spiral stairs that went from top to bottom of the lighthouse. We started going up. Was she going to let me see outside?

We reached the top of the stairs. There was a door. Anna opened it and went in ahead of me. I followed.

We stood in a room that looked out over the ocean. A large light in the center of the room, flashing out to warn ships of land and rocks. It was night now. There wasn't much to see. I went up to one of the window and stared out.

"Do you like it?" Anna asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Good," Anna said. "I'm giving you this room. You can use it whenever you want."

I turned my head to look at her, but she was gone. I looked back out the window and sighed. I sat down on the floor. I would stay here all night. I wanted to see the outside. I had been confined to my bedroom. I had forgotten what the outside looked like.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment??
~Sally