Ring the Alarm

Chapter Seven

Billie thought he would feel guilty. Or nervous at the very least. But as he drove his car into Berkley to meet up with Abigail, the only thing he felt was excitement. Excitement of seeing her again. Excitement that they would be on their own.

Excitement that he had successfully deceived Adrienne. Again.

"I'll only be a couple of hours with Mike and Tre," he had told her. "They're going over what I missed with them yesterday."

Billie was surprised that Adrienne had made no fuss this time. She had simply told him to have fun and that she would order Chinese for dinner. Maybe it was her being oblivious to the plan that made him excited he thought.

But whatever it was, Billie didn't care. The only thing he focused on was trying to dash through changing traffic lights so he could get into the city more quickly.

---

"You're late," she stated as Billie took his seat at the bar, next to her. She pushed his bottle of beer towards him and raised her eyebrows sceptically.

Billie glanced at his watch. "By what---five minutes?" He smiled in thanks for the beer and took a deep gulp.

"Anyway," he continued, wiping his mouth. "What does it matter if I'm late? You're the one who's making it up to me. Today is my day!"

"Yes and I would have appreciated you turning up on time for me to begin my grovelling! What happened---did wifey want to keep you captive?"

As soon as she said that she saw Billie tense, his knuckles turning white as he gripped his beer.

"Sorry, low shot," she raised her hands in apology. "No more talk of Adrienne. I promise." She signalled for another two beers and moved her stool so she sat closer to Billie. "All that matters is that you're here now---"

Billie felt her hand slide over his knee. His pulse quickened as his blood rushed, embarrassingly, downwards. He quickly downed his drink and started the next one.

"This isn't going to be as difficult as I first anticipated is it?"

Her breath against his neck surprised him. He turned to look at her; hardly a millimetre lay between their noses, their lips.

In an effort to regain control, Billie cleared his throat and sat straight. "Don't think you're getting it easy at all. I'm still pretty pissed off at you." The wicked smile that graced his face gave no bolster to his façade.

"Well then I think tequilas should be our next drink---" she clicked her fingers and two shot glasses and a bottle of the amber liquid appeared in front of them.

"God bless you Abigail," Billie muttered as she filled his glass and then took hold of his chin; she tilted his head back as his mouth opened automatically and poured the liquid down his throat. He felt some of it drizzle down his chin and rest in the hollow of his neck; he eyes widened with surprise as he felt soft lips graze his skin, then at the warm flick of her tongue as she savoured the escaped tequila.

Again, the blood rushed to his pants.

"In fact, you can make this as easy as you want," he ran both his hands up her thighs as she sat opposite, still gently caressing Billie's neck with her lips.

At this, she stopped kissing and immediately downed her shot. Slowly, she stood from the bar and started towards the exit. "I know somewhere more private than here---" she called over her shoulder.

Billie didn't think twice about following her out.

---

Adrienne was trawling the internet for baby names when she heard the front door open.

"Billie? Is that you?" she got up from the computer and headed out the top of the stairs. Her eyes met with Mike's.

"What are you doing here?" she couldn't hide the surprise in her tone.

Mike laughed. "Don't look too pleased to see me then Adie!"

She hesitantly made her way down the stairs to greet him. "Sorry to act so incredulous but aren't you supposed to be with Billie?"

Mike frowned. "If I was supposed to be with him then I wouldn't be here looking for him---"

Anger and crippling suspicion caught in Adrienne's chest. She had to take a seat at the foot of the stairs before her legs gave out.

"Adie---are you OK? You've gone all pale and shit?!"

She hardly heard Mike's concerned questions, the thought that Billie had lied to her was all the swam round her head.

"Adie! Answer me! Are you OK?"

"He---he lied Mike. He said he was going to see you today---"

Suddenly she felt Mike wrap his arms around her shoulders. She hadn't realised she had started sobbing; her shoulders were heaving in despair.

"I hate to break this to you Adrienne, but I haven't seen hide nor head of him for a few days now. That's why I came down here to find out what he was playing at."

The truth only made her sob harder. "Then where is he?" she asked no one in particular.

"There's probably some rational explanation for this Adie. He probably just got side tracked on the way over to see me. Maybe he's with Tre?"

"He---he---he said that you were all meeting to---to--together down at the studio---"

She felt Mike's grip on her shoulders tighten. When she turned to look at him, his face was like thunder.

"What is it?" she sniffed. "Why do you look angry Mike?"

"I'll be right back---" Mike swiftly got up from the stair and dashed back out of the front door.

---

"Answer your phone you asshole," he growled as he angrily paced up and down the Armstrong driveway. He threw frequent glances over his shoulder to make sure Adrienne was still indoors. If Billie picked up, she wouldn't want to hear the tirade of abuse he had ready for him.

For at least the tenth time, Billie's cell rung onto voicemail. This time Mike decided to leave a message.

"Listen here you fucking prick," he snarled, anger suddenly raging inside of him. "Adrienne knows you haven't been with me today! School boy error Billie Joe, if you're going to lie to your wife at least make sure you have an adequate back up plan. Whatever you've got going on with that little slut down at the studio, I suggest you keep me AND Tre out of it. I'm not going to lie to Adrienne for you just so you can get your end away. You disgust me."

"Mike---?"

Hearing Adrienne's voice made him terminate the call. He took a deep breath and headed back up to the house.

"Mike---what girl is he with?"

"Let's go inside Adrienne. This isn't something to discuss on your doorstep."

The sobs that started to wrench from Adrienne's chest again made his anger flare up once more. Billie Joe was going to pay for being such a dick. That much, he could promise himself.

---

If he wasn't nervous before, he sure as hell was now. The post coital high that he had been enjoying as he lay entangled with Abigail on her sofa, was wrecked as soon as he heard Mike's voicemail.

"I gotta go babe." Billie had never dressed so quickly in his life.

Abigail had seen his expression whiten drastically as he listened to the message so she knew not to question his hasty departure. "Call me," she simply called as he rushed from her apartment.

But nervous as he was driving home, he didn't feel guilty. The faint glow of bliss still lingered in his joints which rendered any thoughts of guilt inconceivable.
He had to take a moment to compose himself before he entered the house. "Hey baby," he called, heading straight for the stairs.

"Come here Billie."

His stomach tightened at the authority in Adrienne's tone. "I've had a few drinks," better to stick to the truth as much as possible he agreed with himself. "I'm just going to take a shower so I don't stink you out!"

"Now Billie."

Resigned, he quickly checked himself in the mirror for any conspicuous signs to say that he had been in female company. When he felt it was safe, he headed into the living room where Adrienne had called from.

"What's the matter Adie?" The way he rushed to her side at the sight of her red, puffy eyes was enough to fool even the most sceptical of people.

Adrienne looked at him through sad eyes. All it took was two words from her. to shake the air of confidence in his deception.

"Who's Abigail?"
♠ ♠ ♠
God, that was sickening to write.

Bastards.