The Crimson

chapter 6

In my town snow is a big deal. It’s only been recorded to snow once. And that was in almost fifty years ago. Long before I was alive.

“Oh my god can we go outside.” I said as I ran to the window

“Umm yeah sure.” Aidan said shaking his head really quick, snapping out of his train of thought.

I could feel a huge smile spread across my face. And that caused him to smile.

I grabbed his hand, put on my shoes and lead him outside.

I outstretched my arms and gasped as a snow flake hit my hand. I started to laugh. I probably seemed like a total idiot, but I didn’t care.

“I’m guessing you’ve never seen snow before.”

I shook my head.

By now there was at least an inch and it was coming down fast and in big snowflakes.

“It’s weird, it never snows here.”

“Yeah. Weird.” He said distracted again.

I stuck out my hand again as a snowflake fell on my thumb. And I watched as it turned in to a small puddle and dripped down my hand.

Then something hit my head.

I turned around to see Aidan with a smirk on his face.

“You did not just throw a snowball at me.”

He smiled and bent down to make another.

But I beat him to it.

I kneeled down and take hold of enough snow to make a ball. It was soft and packed together perfectly. It was cold in my hand and I could feel it melting against my warm skin.
I threw it at him. It hit his chest and left a white ring of snow on this shirt.

He smiled and looked down at his shirt. “Bring it on.”

He threw another one at me and hit my arm. And from there he chased me around his yard, both of us throwing snowballs at each other. I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt. I tried to get one more snowball at him. But I failed and missed, and ended up tripping and falling on my butt. Aidan collapsed next to be. We laid there laughing for a minute, and then I rolled over to face him.

“You got a little snow on your jacket.” I said pointing to the ring of snow from my first throw.

“Well, you have a little snow on your face.” He said with a smirk.

“No I don’t.”

“Yeah.” He said throwing a small hand fill of snow at me.

“Hey.” I said laughing as I wiped it from my face. “How come every time I’m with you, I end up getting something thrown at my face?”

“I don’t know.” He smiled rolling over so we were facing each other. His smile disappeared. His face grew serious and he looked me in the eyes.

Nearly a half a foot separated us. And it felt like we were getting closer with every second.
I gulped wondering if he was going to kiss me, as his face was just inches away from mine. He smirked and leaned in. Our lips brushed and it sent a tingle throughout my whole body. I closed my eyes and leaned in to him, when I heard a rustle of leaves behind me. I jumped and my forehead smacked against his.

I covered my mouth, embarrassed. “Oh God, I’m sorry.” I could feel my cheeks burning up. My almost first kiss and I screw it up.

“It’s okay.” He said with a sweet smile that instantly made me feel better.

I got up slowly and wiped the snow from my back and butt.

He stood up next to me, wiping the snow of him.

“You want to go for a walk.” He said out reaching his hand.


By now the snow had laid down a couple inches. And the floor of the forest floor was glistening. We were walking on a barely visible path though the woods next to Aidan’s house.

He still held my hand. And I couldn’t help but smile, when I looked down at them.

We continued walking as the sun grew lower and our words become less as we listened to the sounds around us.

“Shh” he said as we walked down the narrow path that lead to the dark forest.
“What?”

He crouched down and started walking slowly off the trail “Stay here” he said as a growl escaped from his lips. From the corner of my eye it looked as if his topaz eyes turned black and his canine teeth emerged in his mouth

I stood frozen in fear. What was I supposed to do. He started moving faster still in his crouched position. Then he went too far and was out of my sight. I looked around to find nothing but trees and emptiness. I suddenly felt alone. I could hear the sound of leaves crunching under what sounded like a person’s foot. A sudden burst of fear enclosed me. The forest was getting darker and the foot steps were getting closer.

Aiden I said in a hushed tone. Knowing that he couldn’t hear me, he had ran too far. I called again. I started walking in the direction that’s he went. My pace increased and my walk turned in to a run. I could hear the gasping breaths of a person and realized it might be Aiden. What if he was in trouble and got hurt. He might of told me to stay back to save my life an risk ending his. I started running faster.

“You are not suppose to be here Cain.” I heard someone yell and then I heard a grunt. It sounded like Aidan

“Lord sent me. He’d thought you’d be back by now, he’s getting testy. I had to check on you and make sure you are doing your job. ” Said an unfamiliar voice.

“I’m doing fine. You shouldn’t have come, I told him I would do it and I will. You can’t just come here and change everything Cain. You’re going to mess everything up.”

I heard another grunt and a crash.

I must have been close. I ran faster. If that was possible.

I saw a body bend over the ground and recognized the familiar black hair and jacket. It made a quick movement and I heard a gasp that sounded like someone’s last.

Aiden I yelled racing toward him. I stood in front of him with a gape expression. He looked up at me. His mouth was crimson red and his eyes held the look of anger and starvation. I looked below him to see a body. A body of a person. They had a pale face as it he had sucked all his blood from him and a crescent mark on his neck. The blood dripped from the open wound on their neck to the dying leaves below them. It was a man who looked to be thirty with a white shirt on that was now stained red with his own blood. Aiden started to suck the blood of the man. It must have been Cain. I began to feel dizzy, and the sounds of the forest and Aiden’s heavy breathes as he bite the man seemed to move away. I began to feel faint and fell to the ground below me