The Crimson

chapter 5

“Anna, your breaks over. Get back to work.” My boss said rather loudly as I sat in metal folding chairs in the employees lounge of Shop Mart.

I slowly got up and made my way back into the store.

“Hey Anna, can you cover for me in checkout lane 6. I have to make a phone call.” someone quickly said as they ran past me and went outside. Without me even responding. It was probably Debbie. She was 23 and had 3 kids, 3 jobs and no husband. She’s always running around.

I went to lane 6. There was an elderly woman there who was buying tuna fish and cat food. I was at the check out for almost a half hour and Debbie still wasn’t back. Must have been a long phone call.

“Excuse me miss I was wondering if you could help me I’m looking for some Green Giant's Asparagus.”

“Um… you can find canned goods in aisle-” I said as I turned around slowly to face Aidan. I smiled, “What are you doing here.”

“Well I went to your house and your mom said I could find you here. So when do you get off”
I took out my cell phone from my pocket. It was 3:30. “About a half an hour. Why?”

“No reason.”

I caught my boss’s eyes looking at me. He looked like he was walking over here. He only had a few rules that he enforced, and one being no socializing while you’re working.

“Quick buy something my boss is coming over here.” I said tossing him a random pack of gum from the shelf.

He caught it. “I don’t like Juicy Fruit.”

“Just buy it I’ll pay you back later.”

“Do you like Juicy Fruit?”

“Just buy it.” I said as my boss was getting closer.

“First answer me. Do you like Juicy Fruit?”

“Yes.” I said grabbing it from him and scanning it.

“Good.” He smiled, “Because I’m going to buy it for you.”

I looked up at him. He had on his big smile, and no matter how many times I see it, it still makes my heart beat a little faster. It was beautiful. I then looked up at his hair it was different today. It was pushed back, so you could see both his eyes. He had deep set stunning topaz eyes, but today they looked different. His once brown rim and golden glow where gone.

I heard my boss clear his throat. I looked up to find him standing behind Aidan.

“That will be a dollar sir.” I said as he handed me a five dollar bill. I pushed open the cash register and got his four dollars. “Your change sir.”
“Thanks you.”

“You’re welcome, have a nice day.”

“You too.” He replied as he walked away and out the main entrance. The Juicy Fruit in his hand.

“Did you know him Anne.” My boss questioned as he had his arms folded and was looking down at me.

“Um, no I mean I guess.”

“You guess.” He raised his eyebrows.

“I mean, yeah. He goes to my school.” I replied quietly.

“Well don’t let me catch you again. Get back to work”



It was a little after four when my shift ended. I went out the back entrance and walked over to where my car was. Aidan was leaning against the driver’s door.

“You waited for me.”

“Of course.” He said as he moved to open the passenger door. He handed me something small. I looked down. It was the Juicy fruit.

“For you.” He smiled.

I’m not sure why I did this but the next thing I knew I kissed him on the cheek. “Thanks.” Then embarrassed I got in the car.

He smiled and bit his lip. Then he closed the door. He turned around was about to go to the driver’s side, then he stopped. He was still standing there for a minute. He was staring out to space. As if he was listening to something and or watching someone. I followed the direction of his eyes. And they lead to the woods surrounding the parking lot. As I could see no one was there. Another minute passed. I opened the door slightly.

“You coming.”



“Is anyone home” I said as we pulled up to a small house that looked to be empty. There was no cars parked in the drive way, and no lights seemed to be on.

“No.” he said as he got out of the car and before I could even unbuckle he was at my side opening the door. I said thanks quietly. “That’s not a problem is it?” he smirked.

“No, its fine.”

He led m up the walkway to his house. He opened the door. I looked in it was dark. He flicked on the lights. The set up was similar to mine. It seemed empty though. First we walked through his living room. All that was in it was a loveseat and coffee table. He walked in to the kitchen and I followed him. It was your basic kitchen. A fridge, oven and sink. And in the corner was a small table and chair.

He opened the fridge, and then quickly shut it. “I don’t really have anything to eat, sorry.”

“That’s okay. I had lunch a couple of hours ago. I’m fine.”

“You can sit down.” He said as I realized I was swaying back and forth. Nervous habit.

I took a seat in the chair and he sat on the counter beside me.

“You guys still not moved in yet.” I said referred to the unfurnished house.

“Oh,” he took a slight pause.” My parents work a lot. So yeah all our furniture isn’t moved in yet.”

“Oh that must stink. I would hate being alone all the time.”

“I’m used to it. In my old town I was kinda a loner.”

“Do you have any brothers or sisters?” I asked.

“Umm, yea. I had a brother.”

“Had?”

He was quiet for a second.

“Have. He doesn’t live with us. He’s a lot older than me.” he said as he stared to zone out again. He looked out the window. It was like he was looking at someone. But no one was there. He had a confused look on his face. Like something was out of place. Not suppose to be there. It looked normal to me. Then I saw something small fall to the ground. Then another, and another. They sparkled in the sun.

A smile can to my face. “It’s snowing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
its been awhile.. =)