Six Days, Sixteen Hours

understand

Erin watched him, and then slumped down on her chair again, fuming,the money still in her hand. How dare he, he didn't know what she was going through..how she needed to get high everynight..to distract her from the emptiness she had been feeling in the past few years..the pain, the addiction,the weakness..Erin found tears running slowly down her cheeks.

He was right..she had lost so many friends..she had put so many others through so much..she had known it but she'd never admitted it to herself. Erin breathed in and tried to calm herself slowly. She was stuck in a city she didn't know,on her own with no means to get home. Another small sob shook her but she stifle a second one. An old waitress came over to clear up and peered at her. "you all right, love?" Erin nodded and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. She then handed the money to the waitress,who nodded and trotted off with the plates. Erin watched her go. Great,what now? she missed Frank,strangely. God,what was she going to do now..the extra pounds were obviously meant for a bus..but who knew where and when they'd be. She could go to a pay phone and phone ryan again..get him to pick her up. Then she remembered Franks words and decided it was best to get on by herself.

The waitress toddled back with the change and a smile, then went off to clear other tables.

Erin sighed, there was only one thing she could do. She stood up and went to the door and stepped onto the cold pavement. It had started to rain, just her luck. She walked along the pavement,huddling her hoodie around her and dodging the odd person and they're umbrellas. She walked quickly without stopping, ignoring how wet she was gradually getting. After a while she was finally in front of the big lit up building. Erin hesitated a moment looking up at the balconies and windows above her, then she finally stepped in. There was no one in the hall, so she marched straight up the steps in case someone stopped her. She wound up stairs and through corridors until she finally found the black shiny door she was looking for. She knocked twice and waited, pulling her hoodie round her and imagining how unelegant she was looking. The door opened and Frank knew it would be her. He half smiled at her, her wet hair hanging in strands, her arms tightly around herself, shivering. They looked at each other for a moment.

"I don't understand you." she finally said. "I don't understand how you could see right through me."

Frank smiled but kept standing, leaning on the door frame. She went on,

"You're right. I'm a pain. But you don't know what I've been through and..you're right. I'm sorry."

He didn't move.

"I swear I'll be more responsible.."

He still stood there.

Another shiver shook through her body.

"God Frank,can't you see I'm dying here?!"

He laughed and stood back for her. Erin walked in and pressed herself to a heater, shivering.

"Here," Frank draped a towel over her shoulders and rubbed her arms to warm her up.

"Don't ever lie to me again.." He whispered. It wasn't a threat, he was asking a favour.

Erin nodded, but said nothing.

Frank moved over to the corner and pulled something out of his drawer, then walked back. He handed her a large blue smashing pumpkins t-shirt and a pair of boxer shorts. She grinned and looked up at him.

"I'll take you home tomorrow," he said, "you get changed before you get pneumonia."

Erin took them and went into the bathroom to change. She folded her wet clothes and put them in a corner. When she went back it was dark and the lights were off, but she could just see the bed from the faint light coming through the window. She could see franks shape already sleeping, so she slipped under the covers too, her back to him. She shivered again as she slid under the cold sheets. She felt his warm arm go around her waist, and, without protesting,closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep.

***

But she couldn't, as much as she tried. A couple of hours later she was fully awake again.

Frank woke soon after too, without reason. The first thing he noticed was that Erin wasn't there anymore.

He sat up quickly and looked around; Then he could see her,sitting on the balcony floor with her back against the glass balcony doors,whisps of smoke rising above her on the dark background. Frank slipped from under the covers and joined her, leaning against the side of the glass door. She heard him and looked up at him with big tired eyes. A cold breeze blew suddenly. After all, summer had been and gone..

"God, it must be like 50 degrees out here.." Frank shivered.

Erin laughed. "that sounds weird..for me that would mean we'd be boiled alive."

Frank rolled his eyes and turned back inside. He returned with the quilt and pillows from the bed, and didn't seem too bothered that he'd probably spoil their whiteness on the dirty balcony. They arranged themselves, then lay back against the pillows, close under the big quilt.

Erin flicked the cigarette,lazily knocking off the ashes away from the sheets. Frank looked over at her.

"What's your excuse?" he asked. The noise of the running traffic in the background.

Erin breathed out. "For what?"

"For not having given up yet."

Erin smiled. "I've given up on excuses.."

"Is that a promise?"

She looked at him. "Yes..I s'pose it is.."

Frank took the cigarette gently from her fingers and took a drag from it himself.

She watched him. "So whats your excuse?"

He looked at it.

"I don't need one anymore.."

He stubbed it out on the damp balcony ground.

"..now I've found someone give it up with me."

She grinned at him,then leant over and kissed him on the cheek. They huddled under the warm covers and looked up at the sky, where a few stars could be seen through the clouds. The night air was cold, but felt good anyway.

Erin turned her head to look at him.

"My friends have stopped caring."

Frank turned to look at her too. "They would do."

"So what now?"

"Now you start changing things.."

She sighed. "What a mess.."

He laughed slightly. "Hey do you want to hear a joke?"

she frowned at him. "go on then."

"what's brown and sticky?"

She wrinkled her nose at him. "Do I want to know?"

He grinned, "a stick!" he said happily.

erin sat for a few seconds frowning. "what has that got to do with anything??"

Frank laughed, "nothing I just thought it was funny,"

Erin laughed too, "it's just very random.."

"I'm a very random person."

"I like random people."

He grinned. They lay back down and laced fingers above the covers. Slowly they found themselves both drifting off to sleep.

***

The morning after they both woke early with the sunlight and the sound of the morning traffic. Frank had a shower while Erin fiddled on his guitar..it was quite entertaining. She managed to work out 'wake me up when september ends' before Frank had finished, and he said he was impressed.

"..Even though it is just two notes." he pointed out.

Erin stuck her tongue out at him and sang along to improve it. She then had to find something presentable since her clothes were still wet, which was difficult because of course frank had nothing for her. He did however manage to find a pair of half length black leggings, which he insisted a friend of his had used to dress up in drag. Erin had to make do with them and a long blue t-shirt that said 'hug me' in big white letters. She grinned at herself in the mirror.

"Can I keep this?"

"Ha! no."

"Why not? I can't see you wearing it anyway."

Frank was just about to answer when there was a knock on the door. He frowned and walked out of the bedroom into the hall to see who it was. Erin sat on the bed and slipped on her shoes and socks. She heard a shout and some laughter, so she headed through and leant against the door frame.

Frank was hugging a taller guy with broad shoulders and messy black hair. He had a broad grin on his face and dark sunglasses hiding his eyes, and was patting frank heavily on the back. They broke apart,

"Hey so what.." the guy started, then caught sight of Erin. She was leaning on the door frame with her arms crossed,an interested smile, her baggy t-shirt, her brushed back hair.

He grinned and turned to frank. "So that's why I haven't been hearing from you! and there I was, picturing you wallowing in our own misery.."

Frank grinned back, " actually I've only known her for two days," it felt like months. "Erin,Gee, Gee this is Erin.."

Gee shook her hand and she smiled back.

"Why the visit,Gee? I wasn't expecting to see you until tonight.." asked Frank.

"Wanted to see what you were up to. How long's it been? a month??"

"A week, close enough.."

"Whatever. So what have you been up to?"

"I've been wallowing in my own misery," he grinned.

"Well I've been looking for mike all week, so.."

Franks expression changed to a worried one. "Is he ok?"

Gee glanced at Erin for a second. she held her hands up, "right, i'll go wait on the balcony.."

"We won't be a sec," Frank quickly said,Erin turned to go into the other room, "Oh,and don't forget our deal!"

She winked back and went on to the balcony. For either lack of nicotine or caffeine, she felt nervous. And she hated feeling nervous. She turned her back to the view and leant against the railing. She wondered what they were talking about..she hoped she'd find out too. After a few minutes Gee came into the bedroom and looked around for her. Erin raised her hand to catch his eye. He saw her and smiled, walking over onto the balcony.

"Frank's down getting coffee. I don't know about you,but I need one."

Erin smiled, "God,me too..I've given up smoking for about 6 hours and I'm already desperate."

"Frank told me about your little deal.." he grinned. "So did you kick him out last night?" he nodded towards the covers and pillows that were still on the balcony floor.

"Ah, no we both slept out here.." Gee raised his eyebrows. "Oh,no," said Erin quickly, "No no,I mean, I've only just met him anyway.."

"That doesn't really matter where I'm from.."

"I must be from somewhere else then.."

Gee smiled. They stood for a few seconds looking out at the city in it's morning haze.

"So, you coming to practice tonight?"

"I think I better get home.."

"Ah,you don't know what you're missing.."

"That good,eh?" she smiled.

"That good.."

"In that case,count me in."

"Plus you'll meet the other guys.."

"Is mike one of the guys?"

Gee hesitated for a moment.

"He is now..he's been being a bit rebellious lately. Bit touchy.."

The bedroom door opened and Frank came in, his arms full, carrying the three cups. Gee and Erin turned round and he handed them to them.

"You convinced her then?" grinned Frank.

"I always succeed.." Gee grinned back,his eyes narrowing in a mock-evil smile.

Erin laughed.

"You know you can stay another night if you like.." said Frank.

"You know how I'd want to, but remember,I'm a responsible person now," she smiled.

Gee raised his eyebrows at Frank. "Since when do you get people to be responsible?"

He ignored him. "Fair enough,I'll take you home after practice.."

"Cheers," said Erin,raising her cup and then taking a sip.

They finished their coffees, and decided to go out on a walkabout. None of them really knew Worthing anyway, so it was more of a wander around. She found she got on with both of them, and they were soon laughing and sifting through CDs in music shops, pushing each other on the pavement and making fun of franks giant sunglasses which he seemed to be very proud of,but made him look like a giant fly. When he got upset erin took his hand, and they walked, fingers linked for the rest of the way. They found a mcdonalds to eat in cheaply, and sat down.

"So how long have you had this band..?" Erin asked.

"Um well, it was this kind of group of friends from school,it started with messing around with guitars, and then turned into something else..so there's not really a year, it's more like since high school," Gee told her, "But a while ago we fell out about some stuff,as I said, it was more some peoples fault than others..

"Oh.."

"Yeah, so we went on a break..I heard from Frank a couple of weeks ago and we thought it might be time to start the hole thing up again, so here we are.."

"And when are you meeting the others?"

"This evening, I mean we call it a practice but we're probably just going to talk about stuff.."

"Hey,if you're not playing I'm not coming!" she grinned.

"Fine,fine, I'll make them then.."

Frank laughed. A buzz. Gee slipped his phone out of his pocket and pressed it. He grinned at Frank as he spoke, "You here already?"

Frank grinned back. Gee carried on.

"Yes..Ok I'll be there..one sec." He hung up.

"Gotta be off, the boys are here. Meet you at my place in say,half an hour? you remember where it is don't you?"

"Sure."

Gee got up and swung his bag over his shoulder. "Great. Laters!" he rushed out before Erin could say 'bye' back. They sat looking at each other, and Erin raised her eyebrows. "well?"

"Well what?"

"Come on then, let's get out of here."