Six Days, Sixteen Hours

friends

Frank payed,and they spent the next half hour wandering around the streets, killing their spare time. At least erin thought they were wondering, until they misteriously ended up in front of a tall block of brick flats.

"La maison de Gerard." stated Frank.

"Why are you speaking french?" grinned Erin.

"Because it sounds good." he answered,and took out a key. The door clicked open, and Frank held it open for her. She stepped in, it was a relatively cold hall, with white plastered walls and dark doors leading off it,and a flight of stairs leading up. Frank went to the fouth door on the left and knocked. There was laughing from inside, and the door swang open to reveal a big wide shouldered man, with short blonde hair. He grinned at frank and they hugged.

"Aaah..how are you,eh?" he shouted, patting frank hard on the back. Frank muttered something,but it was inaudible as he was pressed up against the mans shoulders. He released him and Frank turned to Erin. "Erin,this is Robert." Robert grinned at her and they shook hands. He took a astep back and let them in.

The apartment was small, and obviously messy, but felt very homelike. There was a kitchen at one side, with a small table and chairs, a carpet in the middle, and on the other side a big sofa and armchair. There was a good deal of clutter around the room. Frank dissapeared again, in the arms of another tall figure, with longish straight black hair. They laughed, and Gee nodded at Erin from the sofa. She felt quite out of place, since she hardly knew any of them. Then frank turned to her and the guy shook her hand. "I'm Michael." he said. Erin smiled back,"Erin." she said.

"I hear you're here to hear us play," He said.

"That's a great sentence isn't it?" said Gee quietly to Robert,sitting next to him on the sofa. Robert frowned at him.

Erin smiled and turned to answer him, "Yes,I hear you're pretty damn good."

"We are," answered michael, "and you shall have proof of that." he smiled.

"Oh,this is a practice is it?" said Robert.

Erin sat down next to him, Micheal in the armchair. "You got beer,Gee?" asked Frank, heading to the kitchen.

"Somewhere,Frank." he answered, taking out a packet of cigarettes and lighting one. He passed it to Robert,who did the same.

Frank came back and handed out cans, but there we're only four. "I won't," said Erin,holding a hand up. "I shouldn't drink anyway.."

"Go on,share with me.." said Frank,his eyes pleading slightly.

Erin sighed. "Ok then.."

"Will power,girl!" joked Gee, holding his fist up.

"I'm afraid I don't have much of that.." she said.

"Me neither," said Micheal,shaking his head.

He started telling them about his drunken stories, and soon Robert was too. They found themselves laughing,and talking,and soon the beers were finished,and so were the cigarettes, and the time was getting late.

Erin had just realised how late it was,and turned to frank, "I've got to get back,Frank."

He looked at his watch. "Sure. Come on then,let's get you home."

"Do you live far?" asked Robert.

"three quarters of an hour,I think."

"We didn't get round to playing anything.." said Michael.

"Well, we have a gig on wednesday,come to that." said Gee.

"Plus,it's Frank here's birthday,so we'll be celebrating afterwards," grinned Robert.

"I'll make sure I come then," smiled Erin.

Frank slipped his coat on and waved to the others. "See you in a bit."

"Bye guys," Erin waved.

They all said goodbye, and Erin and Frank stepped out onto the now cold street,as the sun was setting.
***

The grey peugeot drew up in front of Erins apartment,and Frank turned the engine off.

"Give us yer hand," she said.

Frank frowned,but gave it to her anyway. She took a pen that had been lying on the dashboard and pressed it to his palm. Once she'd done she put the pen back and turned to look at him, and they looked at each other for a few moments, the dark, and the streetlamps light playing on they're faces.

"I better go.." she whispered.

Frank nodded. He smiled. So did she. Then he took on a different look,a look she had wanted to see ever since she'd met him..

He leaned closer,and so did she..she could feel his breath on hers..

But a sudden tap on the glass made them jump apart. Erin spun round, to see her friend Ryan's face frowning in throught her window.

"Erin? that you?"

She sighed and rolled her eyes at Frank. "Yeh it's me.." she opened her car door with a clunk, and Ryan stumbled back a bit.

She turned to Frank, "Thanks for everything, Frank," she winked. And slammed the door shut.

He watched her take Ryan by the arm and help him towards her door, he was obviously stoned or drunk.

He watched them dissapear into the house,and the door slam shut, then turned to look at his hand. She'd scribbled her number down on it.

He smiled for a moment, then turned the car engine on again, and drove away into the darkness.
***

Erin woke slowly the next morning, and the memories started flowing back into her mind again.

She lay on her back and gazed up at the ceiling,remembering the last couple of days. They felt quite dreamlike..she also remembered the depressed Ryan she'd left in his bedroom. She slowly slipped out of bed. she went into Ryans room,holding a glass of water and an aspirin for him, and sat down on the end of his bed.

He groaned.

"Come on, love," she said,poking him.

He groaned again. But turned round to look at her. He had a round face, with soft cheeks and messy hair. This morning he looked quite awful though.

"So what happened? I'm usually the one that needs this treatment."

He pulled the covers over his head. "It's Val.." he croaked.

"What's she done this time?"

"She's left me.."

"Again?"

Ryan uncovered his face and gave her a cold look.

"Well,it's not the first time.." said Erin.

"Yeah,well,this time it's for good."

"What did she do?"

"I did it! it's all my fault! again! It all backfired!"

Erin sighed. They looked at each other in silence for a moment.

"I don't want to talk about it." he said finally.

"Fine," said Erin and threw up her hands."I'll be through there. Give us a shout if you need anything."

He dissapeared under the covers again ad Erin got up and went into the kitchen. It was elevenish. Not too late for breakfast yet.

She made some toast,put the coffee on,and as she waited grabbed the phone and punched in the number. It rang. And rang.

"Julie and Val's,we're not here or don't want to talk to you. Probably the latter. Leave a message if you really have to. *beep*"

Erin sighed. "It's not ryan."

She waited a second. "Ok,suit yourself. Sorry Julie, I'm looking for Val..if she could call me back.." she waited another moment. "It was just to help..ah well, you phone back if you need to talk, your mans probably going to be in bed all day so don't worry about him answering. Love you both, hope it all turns out ok.Bye."

She put the phone down and shook her head. This stuff happened at least once a month. But the day after she knew they'd be talking again..but Ryan had never taken it so bad before. she turned off her gurgling coffee and poured it out. Still, it felt good to be the one helping. As if she was returning a favour.

She put MGMT on, and sat back on her sofa,with the coffee in her hands.

"this is our decision..to live fast and die young..."

The phone rang again. Erin swore. She waited 3 rings and then picked it up from beside her.

"Yup," she said.

"Hey.."

She sat up suddenly. She recognized his voice.

"Hey Frank.." she laughed slightly. "you don't waste time,huh?"

"Oh..too soon?" he said with an embarassed voice.

"No,it's fine..tell me all."

"I just wanted to know if you'd like to come over tomorrow morning..? we're having birthday pancakes at Gee's..then you can stay until the gig.."

She smiled at his unsure tone. "I'd love to."

She thought she could hear him smile. "Great.."

"Oh,hang on..it's just Ryan's feeling really rotten..his girlfriend's left him. Again. I don't want to leave him alone.."

"Oh.." Frank paused a moment. "Bring him too."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah,of course. It'll distract him."

"Great..see you tomorrow then.."

"See ya."

Frank hung up and fell back on Gees sofa. Gee looked over at him, scrunching his cereal.

"Haha." he mumbled with his mouth full.

Frank turned his head and frowned. "What?"

Gee's cheeks were full of cheerios, but he managed to smile. "You're so cute when you're all awkward."

"I'm not awkward. Why should I be awkward?" he grunted back.

Gee swallowed and turned back to his bowl of cereal. "Suit yourself.."

Frank glared at him. He switched the tv on, but couldn't follow what the news reader was saying..his mind swam in and out of thoughts..he knew the feeling.