‹ Prequel: Almost Easy

Come Back To Me

XIII.

When Hollis woke up early the next week on her day off, she just had a weird feeling that the day was going to be great. With energy she didn't know she possessed in the morning she climbed out of bed, turning off her alarm that wouldn't be needed that morning and she got in the shower, enjoying a nice, long, hot shower - something she didn't normally get to enjoy when she had work.

She got dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, articles in her clothing that generally got neglected because of her constant working. She blew her hair dry and kept it down, running a brush through it a couple times before deciding that it looked good enough. She slid her feet into flip-flops for the first time since it became warm enough and walked out into her living room/kitchen.

Digging through her fridge, she pulled out a yogurt and a bottle of water. She quickly ate the yogurt and took a few sips of the water before throwing it into her purse. She then took her purse, sunglasses and keys and left the apartment, setting out to get all of her errands done.

A few hours later, after leaving the grocery store, having already picked up her clothes from the dry cleaners and her prescription from the pharmacy and feeling rather pleased with herself, she called Brian.

It rang a few times before he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey Bri, it's Hollis."

"Hey, what's up?"

"I was just wondering if you wanted to grab lunch with me or something. I'm out and about doing errands and if you're free I'd love to grab something to eat with you. If you're not busy."

There was a moment of brief silence before Brian answered.

"Sure. How about, Panera in fifteen minutes?"

"Sounds great. See you then!" She said happily before hanging up and climbing into her car.

It took about ten minutes to drive to Panera so when she arrived there she sat in he car, going over her list of things to get done. She had done everything she had set out to do and the day was only half over, now she was having lunch with Brian. She was convinced that the day couldn't really get better.

She saw Brian's familiar black Escalade pull into the parking lot she turned off her car and climbed out, walking towards the front of the restaurant to meet him.

"Hey" He said with a smile as they met in front of the building. "I don't think I've ever seen you dressed like that." He pointed out, pointing at her jeans, t-shirt and flip flops.

She shrugged, "I rarely get to dress like this. But I love it. I feel so comfortable."

"It suits you" He said and she could feel herself blushing but she turned so he couldn't see it as they walked into Panera.

They ordered their meals and sat down at a table by the windows to eat.

"So how has everything been going?" He asked, "Getting your paper done?"

She nodded as she took a bite of her panini, "Observations will start next week with you and Norelle and that's when the bulk of the paper will be written. I've written my introduction and beginning pages but it can only get harder but it will be a good paper."

"Of course it will. It's about me" He said with a laugh.

"Your name won't be used. You'll be B.H."

"Well...I'll know it's me."

"And that's what matters" She said laughing, "As long as you know."

"Damn straight" He said through a mouthful of food and Hollis just shook her head.

"What?"

"You're just something else Brian Haner."

"Well you love it"

She froze for a second without realizing it and just laughed, "Of course I love it."

"Hol, I know that you said you still loved me...but Elle and I are happy together. Please don't make the friendship awkward because of the feelings you have."

"It's not like that Bri."

"I know. But you just froze when I mentioned love."

"Brian it's not like that. Really. I just want to be friends with you. I promise."

"It just doesn't - " He was interrupted by Hollis' phone ringing.

"Sorry, this is my mom, I have to get it."

"It's fine."

She answered the phone and put it to her ear. "Hi mom. What's going on? The dresses come in yet?"

All she heard on the other side of the phone was muffled sniffles and the sounds that were obviously someone crying.

"What's wrong?" Brian asked when he noticed Hollis' expression change.

"Mom? Mom what's wrong? Talk to me." She asked, starting to get worried.

"They...they just left..." She heard her mom gasp out.

"Mom what's going on!? Who just left?!"

"The...army...the army people..."

"Mom. I don't understand."

"Ben...Ben's dead Hol...his vehicle ran over a land mine..."

As her words sunk in, Hollis dropped the phone onto the table, got up and walked out of the restaurant without saying anything to Brian or even bothering to hang up the phone. Brian picked the phone up and hung it up before collecting her things and walking out to see her crying on the sidewalk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of coincidental, chapter 13 being written on Friday the 13th
and something bad happens in it
I didn't plan it that way, I wish I could say I was that put together lol
Comment and subscribe please!

And if you haven't checked out my new Brian story
She's Headed West to Make Things Right
Do it!
I'm in love with it!