Status: Currently on hiatus due to writer's block.

Stockholm Syndrome

An Empty Heart

One of the women sitting in the group was the first to react. “I’m a doctor.” That’s all she kept yelling. “I’m a doctor!”

It was clearly too late for Henry. Three shots to the chest would be enough to take anyone down. He’d never stood much of a chance. I remained frozen to the spot. The other five women were staring at me in horror. I knew now since I wasn’t going to get off so easy, there was little point in stopping at that moment. I pointed the gun at one of the group.

“You!” I yelled, “what’s your name?” The girl looked around at her other friends. Well, perhaps addressing her by ‘you’ was a bit broad.

“Ok I’ll rephrase. Goldilocks?” The blonde knew that I was addressing her now. She hesitated and slowly stood up. “Good girl, Goldilocks. Now I’m going to ask you to do me a little favour. I want you to go into that kitchen there and bring out anyone left.” She stayed rooting to the spot. Why must these people test my patience? “Well what are you waiting for Goldilocks? Get moving!”

The blonde sprang to her feet and walked as quickly as she could in her blue stilettos. How women could walk in those kinds of things was beyond me. Amy had always worn stilettos… wait. Now was not the time to think about Amy. There would never be a good time to think about her. It was still too painful.

I shook my head and got back the matter at hand. The doctor was still trying to do something to save Henry. As I looked at the young woman with her hands pressed over multiple wounds on his body, I couldn’t help but feel a twinge of guilt.

I looked over at the rest of my posse. The two friends were huddled together. The waitress remained in her original position, and the pregnant woman was now standing by the window.

I glanced at them all, and decided to have a little fun. “So… what are your names then? Ah I see Goldilocks has returned!” I announced as the blonde re-entered the room. “Well? I see no company with you. Did I not mention that if you had no company, someone else will get a bullet or three as well?” I didn’t know where these words were coming from, I would never of imagined myself this time last week saying something like that with a straight face.

The blonde looked at me in absolute terror. “They… they…”

“They they? They what!” I snapped.

“They, err escaped out the back door before I went back there…” I sighed. Her lies were so pathetic it was actually sad.

“Goldilocks, do you really think I’m going to fall for that one? Well I guess there’s nothing left but to put a bullet through your head…” I said as I opened up the barrel of the gun and began spinning it.

“No please…” she actually got onto her knees and begged for me to spare her life. She flicked her golden fringe from in front of her eyes to give me a good look at her big blue eyes.

“What’s your name?” The blonde looked very perplexed at this question, but answered none the less. “Angelica.”

“Ok Angelica, lets play a little game. Do you like games?”

“Well… I guess…”

“Good. How bout we play a game then? It’s a very simple game called Russian Roulette.” Angelica’s eyes went wide with horror. “Yeah Russian Roulette, why didn’t I think of that before?” I looked at everyone else. The doctor had finally given up on Henry. “Doc, I think you might want to be ready for this. Although there’s a one in six chance you won’t have to move at all…”

I aimed, and without any hesitance, pulled the trigger. Angelica flinched, and everyone else looked away when they heard the click, but after a quick glance, they were relieved to see that Angelica’s brains weren’t splattered all over the wall. Angelica slowly opened her eyes and looked at me in amazement.

“Well aren’t you little Miss Lucky?” I remarked.

I didn’t see the point in telling them that that the gun wasn’t actually loaded.