Status: Currently on hiatus due to writer's block.

Stockholm Syndrome

Why Is This Hard?

The cafe was deathly quiet. At this stage, everyone was scattered around, in the formation of a circle. I decided it was time to be a little more social.

"So," I began, "since we're all going to be spending a lot of time together, why don't I learn some of your names?" I pointed my gun at the doctor who was not sitting too far away from Henry's corpse.

"You, doc," I said, "what's your name?"

She hesitated before she answered. "Alanna."

"Do you know what it means?" I inquired. She looked at me with great surprise before answering.

"Peaceful. What about you?" I chuckled.

"Ethan. I believe it means firm or strong." I directed the gun at the next girl, a girl with long black hair and chocolate brown eyes. "What about you?"

"Belle. It's the French for beautiful." I couldn't of thought of a better name for her. I skipped Angelica, who was sitting next to her, and pointed it at the brunette sitting next to her.

"Erin. I, err, don't know what it means." The brunette muttered, her big brown eyes staring at the floor. I sighed.

"Everyone should know what their name means..." I pointed the gun at the waitress, who was now leaning against one of the tables. She was nibbling at her fingernails, looking troubled. I loudly cleared my throat and she looked up, startled.

"Lissie," the teen plainly stated, pointing to the nametag on her black and white polka-dot shirt. 'Lissie'? Shouldn't it be 'Lizzie'? I shook my head and turned to the pregnant woman, who was still standing by the window,

"Juliette," she mumbled.

"As in Romeo and Juliet?" I queried.

"Spelt differently," she sighed. Without warning, a voice I didn't recognise interrupted the conversation.

"Everyone inside 'Joe's Cafe', come out with your hands above your head and nobody gets hurt. We have you surrounded." I sniggered. Nobody gets hurt? I wouldn't be so sure about that. I didn't trust cops anymore. They didn't always see things correctly.

"Obviously your friends tipped them off Angie..." I sighed as I crept near the door and opened the window next to it open an inch. They probably wouldn't hear me, but it was worth a shot.

"Coppers, I have this place wired! Don't even try to stop me or I'll blow this place apart!" I giggled slightly. The women were staring at me in disbelief. Surely they didn't believe me? I had arrived quite a while later then they, where would I have gotten the time to wire the place?

A cry of: "That's it, open fire!" informed me that the police had indeed heard my last remark, The sound of gunshots followed by glass shattering proved that they intended to stick to their word, and a few high pitched screams reminded me that Juliette, the pregnant woman, was still standing by the window.