I'll Justify My Reasons With Your Blood

Pray For Plagues

Today was the big day – the day that very well could determine the fate of all species of beings…vampires and humans alike. If Jared made it safely to the crown, then peace will still exist. But, if Shadows over took the throne, then humans wouldn’t stand a chance. He would open America up to all the world’s vampires as an all-you-can-eat human buffet.

In my heart, I wanted so badly for Jared to be victorious, but after Zacky’s talk yesterday, nothing seems right anymore. I want my parents to pay…but it would seem as if the only way this can take place is if I take the throne away from my family. I was so blinded by my appetite for revenge, that even the human lives that would be lost didn’t seem significant at all.

I just can’t get over how many things…things I have believed all my life…have just turned into nothing but a memory. I’ve been spending all this time in the dark – believing that vampires were mythological creatures, believing that my family was one of the best anyone could ever ask for. It hurt to think back on how things used to seem.

And things were about to reach a whole different degree of strange.

*Lillian’s POV*

I smiled to the best of my ability as Mrs. Leto gave me the rather large box containing the family’s wedding dress. “I remember the day when I walked down this aisle…,” she reminisced.

I tried to look semi-interested, but it was just so damn hard when I had so many other things on my mind. My brother and his gang are supposed to be entering the cathedral any moment now, but I have no way of getting in touch with them!

I was just about to make up some reason for Mrs. Leto to just leave me alone, but then, a butler walked into the room and said that some of the flowers had arrived burnt. She groaned as she immediately left the room and followed the butler to the back storage room.

Burnt flowers…? Looks like the boys have arrived.

The wedding dress seemed to fit me perfectly, aligning with every part of my body. I stared at my flawless reflection in the mirror and almost found myself wishing that this was going to be happening for real…that Jared really was going to become my husband.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m on my brother’s team…but I really think that they are overlooking the undeniable facts of this situation. Jared is way more qualified to be the ruler than Shadows is.

All he wants is power, sex, and blood. If he gets what he wants, every female in the area will probably be captured as slaves…species will collide and start warfare…humans will discover our existence and act out of fear and malice.

And I’m not all too sure why I don’t fully support Shadows as I did before meeting Jared. Hell, I was one of the main players in this little game, which reminds me that I better go find Jimmy before this damn ceremony of hell begins.

The halls were surprisingly empty in this part of the cathedral, which seemed strange considering the hugest wedding of the vampire realm was about to take place. I continued walking forward, until someone jumped out from behind me and covered my mouth with his hand. He dragged me into a dark room nearby and locked the door behind him.

I’ve had my share of dangerous situations in the past, so I wasn’t too shaken, just a little caught off guard. Once the light’s string was pulled, two things were revealed: my brother was my kidnapper and he locked us in a filthy janitor’s closet.

“Jimmy,” I groaned, “was that really necessary, especially with all that’s going on?”

He smirked, “What’s the matter, sis? You’re not scared…are you?”

I rolled my eyes, “Never. Look, you may have forgotten but I have a wedding to participate in, and unless you tell me what Shadows wants, then I’m just going to go through with it like a real god damn wedding!”

He chuckled as he placed his hands on my shoulders. “Relax, Lillian, everything is going according to plan. Geez, I’d almost say you’re questioning the mission…”

Damn him, why does he always have to be so good at reading me? Well, regardless, he doesn’t need to know the truth. “I would never do that. You and I both know that Shadows would slaughter me countless times if I were to fail him,” I replied, trying my best to sound loyal.

He nodded, “Good to know. Anyway, here’s the deal – the plan is slightly different now. We got a hold of Nikki Leto. She was a human…but we turned her, so that makes her one of our clan. We tampered with her memories a bit and caused her to despise her own parents, so now she’s helping us willingly.”

“Oh really now? She doesn’t seem like the type that would betray her brothers,” I commented.

“She’s technically not; Zacky talked to her and told her that if she helped us, she’d hurt her parents more than her brothers.” I honestly doubted that this plan was going to work out according to their plan…or maybe I was just hoping it wouldn’t work out.

After a remarkably long silence, Jimmy finally came out with the part of the plan that pertained to me. “Well, anyway, here’s what Shads wants you to do…go through the wedding like you usually would. When the overseer asks if there are any objections, we will all bust through the doors and object. If anyone tries to stop us, we will attack. When the time is right, Shadows will nod in your direction. That’s when you do your whole succubus routine. Just steal enough of his soul to weaken him. Don’t kill him off entirely – Shads wants him to watch as his kingdom is taken from him.”

It was to be expected…that was what I usually did after all, you know, seduce men and suck the life right out of them. But could I do that to Jared Leto? That was a question that Jimmy clearly couldn’t answer, so I didn’t bother addressing it.

“Alright doesn’t seem too hard,” I smirked, trying my best to look confident in his eyes.

He nodded, “Good…guess I’ll see you in a bit then, sis.”

He left me in the closet, running off to where ever the others were, presumably. I however, stayed in here and pondered this situation a little longer. What is wrong with me? I’ve never once doubted myself or refused myself the opportunity to act on my natural instinct. What the hell makes Jared any different?

*Jared’s POV*

I couldn’t believe this…today was really the day. Not only was I going to become king, but I was going to marry one of the most beautiful girls that I’ve ever seen. It may be moving fast between us, but damn, I wouldn’t pick anyone else over her. I think I may actually have fallen in love with the girl.

I smiled at my reflection as I adjusted my tie and imagined all the great things Lillian and I could do for the vampire realm. My thoughts were interrupted though when Shannon burst in through the door.

“Hey, bro,” I greeted, “what’s up?”

Shannon seemed to be deep in thought, like he was choosing his words very carefully. “I need to talk to you about Lillian…,” he said quietly.

I was a little confused as to what he could possibly have to say about someone so perfect, especially because his tone suggested it might be something I wouldn’t like. “What is it?”

“This is really hard for me to say, man. But just trust me when I say that there is something not right with her. She just gives off some sort of evil vibe. And worst of all she’s related to–.”

“That’s enough, Shannon,” I interrupted, “it’s my wedding day, in case you forgot and the last thing I need is for you to come in here and trash talk my future wife!”

He held his hands up in defense, “I don’t mean to upset you but just let me finish my sentence really quick.”

“No, damn it. I don’t want to hear it. Say one more word and you’ll be sorry.”

Shannon didn’t back down. “This is what she wants to happen…for us to turn against each other!” he protested.

“Ok, now you’re asking for it,” I growled jumping forward and tackling him down to the ground.

“Jared, just listen to me! I have proof that her intentions aren’t pure,” he breathed out.

“Oh, I see. You’re jealous, aren’t you? Sick bastard!”

Out of anger and outrage, I finally lost it and my fist made contact with his face, or more specifically his eye. Shannon’s eye swelled up and turned purple on contact…and it was still there when I got up off of him, meaning that for some reason his healing powers were working rather slowly.

He stood up as well, still with a shocked expression on his face. Before he left the room, he stopped and said, “Nice to know that nearly a hundred years of being brothers just turned to shit over some bitch who crawled up from the depths of hell.”

“Just leave,” I muttered.

Now it couldn’t be helped – I no longer felt as happy as I had moments ago. I questioned myself…wondering if Shannon really did have a point, or if he was just trying to separate Lillian and I for his own sake. And worst of all, Shannon and I haven’t gotten in a fight in years.

What just came over me? I sighed as I re-adjusted my suit and walked out of the room. Maybe being in this position isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

*Shannon’s POV*

Ok, I know I should’ve been more prepared for that kind of reaction, but honestly, it’s hard to expect so much rejection when you know that you’re speaking the truth… And this black eye is seriously taking way too long to heal already. Some ceremony this is going to end up being. And when Jared sees Lillian for who she really is, it’ll be too late.

But about halfway down the hallway, I realized I was no longer alone. I stopped in my tracks when I heard an all too familiar voice. “Nice memory you got there. No one has really seen my sister for quite some years now, and yet you recognized her almost instantly.”

I pivoted around and came face-to-face with the Rev. “I don’t think your brother took what you had to say very well,” he sneered.

“Whatever you’re up to, it’s not going to work. Even if Jared doesn’t believe me, he still won’t walk into your trap,” I retorted.

“Oh,” he smirked, “should my sister fail, I know that yours will do just fine.”

My eyes widened when I realized he was referring to Nikki. “Where is she?” I demanded, leaping forward and forcing him up against the wall, gripping his collar tightly.

“Hey now, don’t ruin the suit,” he laughed.

“Tell me where my sister is,” I said angrily.

“You know, I don’t think I’m going to do that. But you really need a time out.”

He kicked off the wall and seemed to have gotten the advantage over me. “Sorry to say you won’t really be able to watch the ceremony. I think Jared wouldn’t mind though…after that conversation you just had.”

He pushed me into a small room, locking the door from the outside. How humiliating this is…losing the battle for my own family. No, it’s not over yet. I will not let any of those assholes overtake the thrown.

The door was only made of wood, and I had the strength of three men. This won’t take long.

*Normal POV*

Shadows had picked out an outfit for me…a black, sleeveless gown; needless to say, I was surprised at how his fashion taste wasn’t as horrible as his personality.

He had assembled multiple teams to travel in several black cars toward the cathedral for the initiation. I wasn’t quite sure what his plan was, but one thing I did notice on the car ride there was that the closer we got to the destination, the more my feelings of vengeance seemed to waver.

I couldn’t betray my brothers…not after all they’ve done for me. But I’m not going to tell these guys just yet. I’d love to be the reason why their plan fails.

They pulled up in the back parking lot of the cathedral and walked in through the surprisingly unlocked back door. Shadows began barking off instructions to his scrambling followers. I was already bored, so inquired exactly what I was supposed to do.

“I don’t know just go monitor the halls or something,” he growled. Apparently attempting to overtake someone else’s initiation can be really stressful…

Needless to say, I did what I was told for once and wandered the halls. For the most part they were really dark and lonely…not one other soul was around here and it was almost giving me the chills.

I turned the corner and walked down the next hallway but then froze in my tracks at the sight of another girl…but it wasn’t just any girl, she was the one who was wearing my mom’s wedding dress. She was the girl Jared intended to marry.

“Who are you?” she demanded, already acting like the queen.

I stepped a little closer, seeing as it was kind of hard to hear her and I didn’t feel like screaming. “Nikki. Who are you?”

Her eyes widened for a moment, as if she knew who I was. “Lillian…are you by any chance, related to Jared?”

Yep, I knew she knew me…but the question is how she does. I nodded, “I’m his sister. How do you know?”

She paused, almost afraid she’d end up saying too much, but responded nevertheless. “M-my brother is the Reverend Tholomew Plague, the Rev for short. Originally I was put in the picture to marry Jared as part of Shadows’ scheme, but then things changed. I don’t think I can do it.”

At first, I felt complete hatred toward this girl for even daring to hurt Jared and toy with his heart, but lucky for her, that last sentence gave her a bit of redemption.

“And what made you change your mind?”

“Jared really deserves to be the ruler, not Shadows. In my time with Jared, although it has been short, I’ve come to realize this. And there’s also something else that you should know…”

My mind raced with questions… what could the Rev’s sister know that would possibly concern me?
♠ ♠ ♠
in the next chapter: lillian reveals that nikki's memories had been messed with, synyster stumbles upon the girls and overhears part of what was being said, he forces both of them to continue on with the plan, and handles nikki's rebellion on his own

5+ comments please!