A Life for a Life

Scene 1

ACT 1

Scene 1

The whole stage is dark and there is no noise except for Riley's voice.

Riley's voice:

I couldn't hide it anymore. I had to tell someone. Luckily i have Ellie and Ian. The only problem is they're getting on me to stay healthy and stuff...I don't really pay attention to them though. It's not their problem. It's mine.

A light goes on on stage. Riley sits on the floor next to the bed in her friend's room on a Saturday afternoon. Smoke fills the stage, trash and beer cans are strewn everywhere. Her friends are sitting around passing a pipe.

ELLIE:

Here's to the birthday girl on her fourteenth birthday!

Takes a hit then hands it to Riley.
Riley hesitates for a minute but then reaches out and takes a hit.

ELLIE:

How does it feel to be fourteen without a care in the world?!

RILEY:

Great...i guess.

Ian:

What do you mean i guess? You're here with us getting high on your birthday. What else could you want? Your not home so chill. What's wrong with you?

RILEY:

Nothing. I...just have a lot on my mind.

Ellie:

Your not thinking about what's his name are you? Get over him already.

Ian:

Cheer up kid...you know you'll find someone better.

RILEY:

It...It’s not that. Um...guys. I think I-

She stands to her feet and runs out of the room. Ellie and Ian look at each other in confusion.

IAN:

What's up with her? She's been acting weird for the past couple of weeks.

ELLIE:

Well maybe...? No. I don't know.

IAN:

What? Maybe what?

ELLIE:

Nothing smart guy. Hey Ian whens the last time you talked to Matt?

IAN:

Last week. Why?

ELLIE:

Well i was talking to his sister and she said you were saying-

IAN:

Hey Kid. What happened?

Riley enters holding her stomach.

RILEY:

I don't feel so good.

Ellie gets up and walks over to her.

ELLIE:

Come sit down.

IAN:

Do you have gum, Elle?

ELLIE:

I put it in Riley's bag.

Ian reaches over and opens it, sticking his hand in without looking.

IAN:

Ow! What the...?

He opens the bag and pulls out a small but sharp pocket knife. He waves it in the air.

IAN:

What's this for?

Riley runs over and pulls it out of his hand and yanks her bag from him dropping all of its contents.

RILEY:

Shoot!

She rushes to pick up the stuff. Ellie spots a small box under the clutter.

ELLIE:

What's this?

She picks it up and reads the front.

RILEY:

Guys stop! I can explain!

IAN:

Riley Marie, are you...?

ELLIE:

Pregnant?

RILEY:

Please don't tell anyone! I'm not sure if i am- I took a couple of them but they kept saying the same thing- But they said they aren't always reliable! It could be wrong! Oh man! Who am i kidding...? If my parents find out I'm dead. You know how they are...

Ellie:

Riley...are you serious? By who? Is it- no, not...

Lights fade. All exit except Riley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Scene 1 of 12...More to come!