A Life for a Life

Scene 5

Scene 5

In Ellie's room. Night.

ELLIE:

You can sleep on my bed.

RILEY:

Are you sure? I can sleep on the floor.

ELLIE:

No no! You sleep there. I'm fine.

There's a knock on the door and Ellie's mom walks in.

Jessica:

How you doing? You know it's been a while since you've stayed over.

Riley:

I'm doing better. I'm sorry if I'm being a bother to you.

JESSICA:

No way! I missed having you over. You were always spending the night when you two were in middle school. You're a year younger than Ellie though right?

RILEY:

Yes.

JESSICA:

Well you're welcome to stay over whenever you feel like. You don't even need to ask. Just come over.

RILEY:

Thank you...Why...why are you so nice to me?

Jessica only smiles then walks out of the room.

ELLIE:

She likes you a lot. She thinks your a great person.

RILEY:

Me?! I'm far from great. Not even close to anything like that.

ELLIE:

You think so low of yourself Riley. Just because you've done some things doesn't mean your not a good person deep inside. You have some very likable qualities if you ask me!

RILEY:

Like what?

ELLIE:

Well...let's see. When others are sad you try to cheer them up. Like that one time in middle school the boys were making fun of Sarah and you chased them around the school calling them names and you told everyone that they still wet the bed!!

RILEY:

It was true though!

ELLIE:

Yeah. They didn't want to come to school for a whole month because of that.

RILEY:

Hey Ellie...Thank you for letting me stay here with you. I really appreciate this.

Ellie gives her a thumbs up and walks over to a drawer pulling out a small picture.

ELLIE:

Look.

RILEY:

What is it?

Riley gets the picture and looks at it, her face drops.

ELLIE:

This was before i did it. See the head right there?

Riley smiles and nods.

RILEY:

How did it happen?

ELLIE:

The pregnancy?? Well when a guy falls for a girl and vice versa they-

RILEY:

Not that!!

Ellie smiles.

ELLIE:

I'm teasing. Umm...

She looks out into the audience thinking of how to explain the story.

RILEY:

If you don't want to tell me it's ok.

ELLIE:

No, i don't mind. Well it was sort of the same thing that happened to you.

Riley looks down at the floor and begins to twiddle her fingers.

RILEY:

I see...Wait! You know?!

ELLIE:

Yeah...Don't get mad but that time you dropped your stuff in here you forgot your notebook.

RILEY:

You read my notebook?!! Ellie how could you?!

ELLIE:

It wasn't on purpose. I was curious. I'm sorry Riley. Please don't be mad at me!

RILEY:

I want to be...but i can't. Is this why you and your mom are being so nice?

ELLIE:

It's because we love you and care about you. It has nothing to do with what's going on in your life. Just so you know you can hate me forever and I'll still love you. I want you to know that I'm here for you. I don't care if you come crying at my door at three in the morning. Imma be here for you.

RILEY:

Thank you Ellie.

ELLIE:

No problem!

At that moment Jessica comes back to the room.

JESSICA:

Here you go.

She hands them a bag of chips and a bowl of popcorn. She sits down next to them.

ELLIE:

Where's the movie?

JESSICA:

What movie?

Riley laughs.

ELLIE:

Never mind.

JESSICA:

Oooook then. How long are you staying Riley? You can stay all week if you want.

RILEY:

Well...it depends. I'm not sure. My parents may not care where I'm at all the time but they don't like me to be out of the house for long. I don't know about them sometimes. You would think they'd kick me out and not want me there. I think they like to see me suffer.

JESSICA:

Call them and ask them if you could stay. I really wouldn't mind you being here.

Riley looks down uneasy.

ELLIE:

Uhh...mom maybe you should call.

JESSICA:

Oh. Right. I'm sorry Riley. I'll just tell them your doing a project this whole week and that you need to stay here.

Jessica gets up.

ELLIE:

Yeah. Oh mom when you come back can you bring us root beer? Please! I'll love you forever and I'll be your favorite daughter!

She hugs her mothers leg.

JESSICA:

Ellie honey, you're my only daughter. Get up and get it yourself.

Exit Jessica.

ELLIE:

Oh and some Reeses!!! Thank you!!

RILEY:

That's so cool how you can play around with your mom like that and you get to hug her. I get pushed away.

ELLIE:

You can hug me! I won't push you away!!

Ellie squeezes Riley. Riley laughs but then her laughter turns to a whimper.

RILEY:

OW! ow. Wait!

Ellie lets go as Riley rubs her wrists. Ellie grabs her hand and pulls up her sleeve revealing fresh wounds all down her arm.

ELLIE:

You know...you need to quit. Your actions affect others not just you.

RILEY:

I know.

ELLIE:

I told you about this before. You had said you were going to stop.

RILEY:

I...it's just...

ELLIE:

Riley stop making excuses. I hate to see you do things like this to yourself.

RILEY:

Your one to talk. You smoke and drink!

ELLIE:

I...

Ellie looks away.

RILEY:

I don't know what else to do...

ELLIE:

I'm sorry Riley. I never was a good role model.

Jessica enters again with the candy and soda.

JESSICA:

Here lazy bum. Help me with this.

The phone rings offstage. Jessica goes to answer it.

ELLIE:

Here you go.

RILEY:

Do you think she called yet?

ELLIE:

I don't know.

Jessica comes to the door.

JESSICA:

Riley. It's for you.

Riley gets up and reaches for the phone.

RILEY:

Hello?-

She stands in silence as the person on the other line yells at her.

How...? Who told you?

Silence.

I...couldn't. Please try to understand. Stop please...I can't. No! I'm not going to!

ELLIE:

Riley, who is it?

Riley stands there tears rolling down her face. She wipes them away as she turns her back to Ellie and Jessica.

RILEY:

Look...your not helping. I know...

ELLIE:

Riley. Who's on the phone?

RILEY:

No. Don't. I-

Riley stares at the phone in fear.

He said...He...wants it dead.

ELLIE:

What?! No! I don't care what he tells you! Do not listen to him! He's a jerk! If he really cared about you he wouldn't make you do something you don't want to do!

RILEY:

But he said...

ELLIE:

No! Thats it.

JESSICA:

Look Riley i know that your going through a lot of emotions right now but don't let them govern your decision. If you don't want to do this then don't. If you do then what can i say? I just want you to know that we're gonna be here for you. Whether you decide to or not we support your decision.

She looks at Ellie who is furious with her mother.

We may not like it but we're here.

Jessica hugs Riley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Scene 5 of 12!! You know the drill!!