Status: completed

California Love A7X

You're family now

Brian seemed unhappy this day. He couldn't get over the fact of Johnny taking me out. Plus he couldn't find his cross again. Naturally I knew where it was. Underneath his very own bed.

Melly: what is it?

Brian: please don't tell me you like him.

Melly: fine I won't. Its far to soon for shit like that. Not that there's much you could do about it anyway.

Brian: I guess not.

He sighed flopping on to my bed.

Brian: the guys are coming over.

Melly: that's cool.

Brian: you know if you ever get annoyed with them coming over so much all you have to do is say so.

Melly: its your house.

Brian: and you live here.

Melly: for free. I've got no right to say anything.

Brian: you do. You're family.

Melly: whatever Brian. Where's Jenn?

Brian: out with Jimmy.

Melly: why didn't you go?

Brian: its their quality time together. They're best friends you know. This bed is extremely comfuy. I just might take a nap.

Melly: go for it.

Brian: this grey bed spread is so grey.

Melly: its usually the case with the color grey.

Brian: are you fully recovered from the party now?

Melly: yeah I'm cool. It was just-

Brian: overwhelming I know. Sorry. I didn't know you'd react like that. Most people we take who've never been are excited. You seemed terrified.

It had been a bit intimidating. I had never been to anything like that before. So big and ridiculous. I'm not used to people treating me special for no reason. We stayed silent. I busied myself by cleaning my closet. Not that it needed it, I just did it a lot to keep busy. The house seemed to quiet without Jimmy romping the halls. Or Jenn cussing at the computer. I smiled. Brian had fallen asleep. Face up, mouth slightly open. Hands folded on his chest. His shirt rode up a bit showing his mid-drif. I went down stairs.

Melly: hello Todd.

He followed me around. The kitchen floor felt a bit cold on the bottom of my feet. I debated eating or not. The clock on the wall told me it was twelve forty five. Really early, I thought it was late. What do they do on days like these? Sleep like Brian. I was in no mood for that. The dishes in the sink needed washing. They had a dishwasher but I did them by hand. It would pass the time faster. Next I cleaned the counters.

Melly: what Todd?

He panted lightly and sat by his bowl.

Melly: I'm going to guess you need water.

I did that and went back to the counters. He lapped it up greatfully. There was a stack if cds next to a stereo. This surprised me. What with ipod docks and shit. I looked through. Oingo boingo. Queen. Pinkly smooth? Sounds dirty. I took a moment to examine the makeshift cd case.

Melly: interesting Todd. Brian hasn't mentioned a side project.

Todd looked at me and sat down again.

Melly: this sounds cool. I'll have to listen to it later.

I continued with my snooping. Motley Crue, The Scorpions, Van Halen, and Aqua. I looked around with a what the fuck face. I didn't have to see myself to know that's what I looked like.

Melly: really? Aqua? That's fucking amazing. Todd why didn't you tell me?

Guy: he's not much of a talker.

My reaction. Throw cd at voice. Which hit the stranger in the face. Todd ran over and jumped up and down.

Guy: that hurt. A lot.

His hand rubbed his cheek. Loud rushed foot steps filled the quiet gap between me and the stranger. A grunt was heard from the hallway before Brian appeared in the kitchen breathlessly. Clearly just woken up.

Brian: fucking Danny. You're early.

Melly: so you're Danny.

Matt: hey Dan don't forget Brian's cousin is jum...py.

Danny: yeah to late. Home girl threw a cd at me.

Brian laughed.

Brian: she hit you?

Danny: hell yeah and hurt like hell.

He continued laughing.

Brian: Matt got the shit beat out of him and all she did was throw a lame ass cd at you.

Matt: hey that's mine and Jenn's favorite cd.

He picked it up, carefully examining it.

Melly: Aqua cus? Doesn't really come off as your style.

Brian: its Jenn's. I like Queen. Never mind that. You just threw a cd at my friend. That's not very nice.

Melly: maybe if your friends didn't feel the need to be sneakin' in, this type of shit wouldn't happen.

Danny: sneakin'?

Melly: yeah sneakin'.

Matt: its not our fault you're an easy scare.

Melly: I am not.

He jumped towards me and I flinched. They all laughed.

Melly: assholes.

I crossed my arms. Brian came over and put his arm around me.

Brian: aww come on Melly.

I scrunched my face.

Brian: Danny this is my cousin.

He smiled still rubbing his cheek.

Melly: sorry about that.

Danny: its cool. I'll let it slide this one time.

Matt: Bri you look shitty.

Brian: I just woke up man.

As they discussed laziness I slipped out. Only to see the face that I can't help but stare at. He smiled a little.

Melly: hey Zacky, the guys are in the kitchen.

He gave a nod and left the room. I watched him.

Johnny: Melly Mel.

He sang out. I smiled.

Melly: Johnny!

I hugged him tightly. His eyes were bright.

Johnny: hi Melly Mel.

Melly: hi Johnny, I'm glad to see you.

He smiled widely. He kept his arm around my shoulder.

Johnny: so have you changed your mind about the car?

Melly: hell no son. Have you changed your mind about the car?

Johnny: hell no girl.

We laughed.

Melly: I met Danny.

Johnny: what'd ya think?

Melly: he looks nice.

Johnny: he is. If you need a workout plan talk to him. Have any eats been made yet?

Melly: I've been cleaning.

Johnny: shame. Hey Brian!

Brian: what?

Johnny: get the grill goin' I brought the fuckin' steaks! Come help me get them.

We walked out into the sun. It was blinding for a moment. He opened the trunk to the Audi he kept trying to force on me. I cringed as he placed the cold package of meat in my hands.

Johnny: don't tell me your afraid of a little meat?

He smirked. I laughed.

Melly: only this kind Johnny boy.

I smirked back.

Johnny: oh...I meant are you a veggie eater.

He smiled cleverly.

Melly: shut up.

Johnny: but its good to know about the other kind of hot dogs you eat.

Brian: what?

Melly: hot dogs Brian. A disgustingly dericious bbq time treat.

Brian: uh huh. The grill is on.

Johnny: come on Brian. I'm gonna show you how a man makes a steak.

They walked out the back door. I decided to make a salad. Its funny. I've been here long enough to know where shit is. Or so I thought. If it wasn't for Matt I would never have found anything.

Melly: Matty.

Matt: yeah?

Melly: where do they keep the big bowls?

Matt: bottom cupboard. To the left. No left Melly.

Melly: thanks for the help yo.

Matt: no problem. Any luck on the job thing?

Melly: yeah we took my of resames to a few salons.

Matt: don't worry Brian will take care of you if you can't get a job right away.

Melly: he shouldn't have to.

Matt: but he will, if you need the help. All of us would. Well I would atleast. I'm pretty sure Johnny would too.

Melly: I don't know why.

Matt: cause Melly.

He came to my side and wrapped an arm around me. A big smile on his face.

Matt: we're family. Sorry but there's no escaping that now.

Melly: no you can't escape that. You can hide from it though.

Matt: do you plan to hide from us?

Melly: no I like this family.

He squeezed my shoulder and went back to chopping carrots.

Matt: how's the date?

I groaned. No one would leave that be.

Matt: bad?

Melly: no. It was simple and fun. We ate and we went to see Mckenna. That's all we did.

Zacky: well that's not very fun. Please don't cut yourself this time.

Melly: whatever dude.

He sat at the counter. His hand quickly grabbing a cucumber slice.

Melly: becareful. You should never grab like that when the knife is in motion.

Zacky: ok mom.

The two laughed.

Jimmy: HI FRIENDS!!!

Zacky: hey Jimmy.

He hugged everyone in the room.

Jenn: how nice you assholes. Not you Melly the guys. Actually started cooking without me.

Zacky: we got Melly now so we don't have to wait for you.

Jenn: shut up. Melly you don't have todo anything they tell you. I don't.

Zacky: we didn't ask her she just did it.

I stayed silent in their little playful argument. I put all the stuff in the bowl and took it outside. They had a nice outdoor set.

Melly: have you learned to make a steak like a man yet cus?

Brian: no but I've learned how to make it charcol.

I laughed and squeezed between the two.

Johnny: its not burnt. Just cajun style. Its nice and juicy in the middle.

Brian: yeah right.

Johnny: you don't have to tell me that Brian I already know I'm right.

Brian snickered.

Melly: Jenn is home.

Brian: yay! She probley brought beer!

He ran off. I shook my head.

Johnny: he's your cousin.

Melly: I don't deny that.

I noticed I was perfectly fine with Johnny. I never had to force conversation. Our talk just came natural. I felt bad it wasn't like that with everyone else. I just needed time.