Pocky Killed My Reputation In The Long Run But I Love It Anyways

Part Four

<Two hours later>
I stood outside, so I could show him what door was ours. We lived in a duplex, so people always got mixed up trying to figure out which door was ours. He called me at about seven, and I picked up the phone on the first ring. I knew it was him too, even though we didn’t have caller ID (and even if we did, I’d never be able to figure it out and neither would mom).

“Hey. I’m gonna be a little late... It’s taking a while to get here.” Tom’s voice came through the earpiece.

“No problem. But you’re already a little late... maybe a half-hour?”

“So, I’ll be there in a bit. Later.”

“Right. See you in a few,” I said, and hung up.

<Ten minutes later>
The phone rang again. I picked it up, and it was Tom (again). Not that I minded though.

“Which one’s your house?” he asked. I thought, “He must be here!” I ran up the stairs and out the door, and told him, still on the phone, “I’m coming out of my door, okay? See you in a sec.”

I ran out to the end of my driveway (which kinda hurt, seeing as our driveway is gravel and I had no shoes on) and greeted him, saying hi to him and his dad.

“So, hm, yeah. C’mon in.”

“Whoa! You have a cat?” he noted, surprised.

“Oh my god! I forgot to ask- You’re not allergic, are you?” I said.

“No, we have three of our own. But they don’t like me much... they pretty much just stay away from me.”

“Oh, sad! Well, Blackie’s a real people lover. He likes to be around just about anyone, and he’s just as forgiving as I am. And that’s really a lot. If you accidentally hurt him, he’ll just come right up to you and roll all over you.”

We went into my room and talked for a while, and then he asked if he could mess around with my guitar.

“I’ll only put the 6th string really low, so it sounds like a bass, but I’ll put it back when I’m done.”

‘Tourniquet’ by Evanescence was playing from my PC, and he played along with the bass part. It was easy for him to find the tune; he’d obviously been playing for years. I myself have only been playing since August of this year. I mentioned that to him.

“So that means I’m not that good yet. But you should hear me sing!”

“I’d like to.” He took a look in my closet, and he found a shirt of mine that he liked. It was really awkward, and it only got weirder when he asked to try it on. “Where’s your bathroom?”

“Yeah, the bathroom’s right there, to the right.”

When he got out of the bathroom, I was singing along to ‘Missing,’ another song by Evanescence.

“Dang! You sound just like her!”

“I do not. My voice is off today.”

“Then I’d love to hear it as it really is!” he replied, and it made me feel... I don’t really know how to explain it, but it was kind of like the feeling when I shook his hand the day we met. A happy-weird-crazy feeling, you know, a little like... Dare I say it, I think I loved him.

“Anyways. Moving on. Um...” I hesitated, looking at him in my shirt. “Not quite the result I was expecting. Surprisingly, it doesn’t look quite as good as I thought it would.”

He said, “Well, I guess I’ll go change back then.” He was wearing a pair of jeans that I gave Mike, though. They didn’t fit Mike, or for that matter, me. But they were skinny jeans, and so Tom didn’t mind that they were girl’s pants.

I was wearing my jeans with a hole in the knee (and the corset-like shirt), so when he got out of the bathroom again, he poked the hole and said, “Ha. I got in your pants.”

I pointed at the jeans he was wearing and said, “Well, technically, yeah, you pretty much did. I win.”

“Oh. Of course. But they’re my pants now!”

“And who gave Mike those pants, and in turn gave them to you?”

“Oh. Right.”