The *** and the Parliament

Elliot

"Get your glasses," Lauren said softly, her grip loosening until she had released me. I quickly fetched my glasses, which I could see had taken quite a beating. One of the lenses was cracked, and when I put them on them on my face, only the cracked lens was near my eye; the other was bent far out of place. I came out of the stall with the glasses on, then took them off and handed them to Lauren. She looked them over, comparing them with the glasses in her other hand, the ones she had called dayvision glasses.

"What are they?" I asked.

"Dayvision is the opposite of nightvision," she explained. "Humans have good vision during the day, but they can't see in the dark, so they use nightvision. With Owls, it's the other way around. They have perfect vision at night, but they can't see during the day." She looked down at the glasses again. "What I want to know is, if these aren't yours, whose are they?"

My gaze drifted to the only other living being in the room, the unconscious boy that neither of us had paid any mind to since Lauren knocked him out. I watched as Lauren knelt down beside him and felt around his shoulder blades, as she had done to me earlier. She stopped suddenly and I supposed she had found what she was looking for.

"We have to go," Lauren said, turning to face me. She must have seen the confusion in my expression because she added, "I'll explain later. He could wake up any second, and things will get dangerous if he does."

She pocketed his glasses and mine and strode quickly out of the room. I swung my backpack around my shoulder and raced after her.