The *** and the Parliament

Lauren: Normal

From the huge attic window of my three-story dwelling, I watched Derik skate away from my driveway and onto the road that led back into the city. He was the first normal friend I'd ever made, and despite common sense, I was already beginning to develop an affection for him. It was all brand new, and I would even admit that I was a little scared. After all, I was alone now, and I would be until my family returned from the Council meeting. I had begged to go along, but my mother was worried for my safety, and she had this ridiculous notion that separating me from the family was an appropriate measure to protect me.

I was packing my bags, as I did every other year for the Council, when my mother stepped into the room.

"Hello, Mum!" I said cheerily, folding a scarf.

She grabbed the heavy fur parka off my bed and began to examine it. The Council was held through the winter in Northern Russia. I kept this parka specifically for meetings.

"You won't be needing this, Lauren," she told me, walking over to my closet to hang it up.

I stopped packing and looked up at her, my brow furrowed. "Why? Is the Council being held elsewhere this time?"

"No, Lauren," she said, sitting down next to me on my bed. "You won't be attending the Council this year."

My eyes widened and I stood up. "Not attend the Council? But I must! I am an eighth generation, Mum," I noted proudly. "It's important that I'm there."

"It's more dangerous now, Lauren," she insisted. "You've heard the rumors. You will be far safer among normal people than you will among us."

"But Mum--"

"Don't try to fight me, Lauren. I've already made the arrangements. Your flight to America leaves tomorrow. Finish packing, dear."


So here I was, living alone in my aunt's house in another country, pretending to be normal.

I checked the window again. Derik had gone, and the sounds of the night were undisturbed. I opened the window and relished the feeling of wind upon me before taking a few steps backward.

I took a deep breath, then ran toward the window at full speed and jumped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rewritten. This is the first major plot point I've added.