Such a Lovely Boy

You Only Hold Me Up Like This

FRANK'S POV
“Sorry, hun. He and Mikey left for a comic book convention or something they said” Gerard’s mom said as I stood on the Way’s doorstep.

“Oh, uh...no problem, um any idea when they’re getting back?” I asked, hoping it was soon.

“Tomorrow, sometime” she replied after a moment.

“Ok, thanks” I replied, shaking in the cold.

“Are you ok, buddy?” Gerard’s dad asked from the couch, looking at me.
Buddy? Hun? I love Gee’s family, they’re so nice.

“Uh, yeah. No worries then, bye” I waved and bolted before Gee’s mom could force me to eat some “good hearty food” or stuff me into a million jumpers.

*

Toro...no Toro left for band camp. Fuck his stupid musical dedication and his stupid band camp shit.
Bob...no Bob’s on a date with that chick from biology. Goddammit.
I really didn’t wanna go home and my options are pretty much exhausted...I can’t sleep on the streets, it’s Jersey I’ll get raped or killed or something.

I wandered further down the street, slowing down subconsciously as I went past Pete’s house. There was a single light on, the lounge room. I’m guessing Pete was the only one home because his family go places without him, they seemed to border a lot of dislike for him. It was weird, like he broke some rule and was never allowed back into the secret club or something. I shuffled closer to the window and noticed it was Pete sitting on the couch by himself. I felt a little sorry for him, sitting there by himself all the time. Pete left the room and I ducked under the ledge.

“It’s cold outside”

I cringed and turned slowly to see Pete standing on his porch smirking.

“No shit, Sherlock” I replied, still crouching on the grass.

“Come inside then” he said still smirking.

“Nah, it’s fine”

“C’mon, geez I’m not gonna rape you or anything. If you wanna forget about earlier then it’s already out of my mind”

“N-no, it’s cool I was just walking by” I stumbled, my words disconnected and shaky.

“Yeah...and that’s why you’re crouching in a dog crap?” Pete laughed.

“I’m wha-...oh god, gross!” I threw off my shoes and bolted inside.

*

“Why are you always alone?” I asked as we sat on the couch.
Pete looked at me, slightly taken aback. He looked around the room and breathed awkwardly.

“Petey, you alright?” I leaned closer to him as he looked like he was gonna cry.

“Uh, yeah I’m totally fine” he pushed himself up in the chair and watched the tv, not blinking. I got the feeling he didn’t want to talk about it, whatever ‘it’ was.

“I don’t know what I’d do without my mom, I know that sounds lame but honestly I’d be lost” I said softly, leaning on Pete’s shoulder.

“Lucky you” he murmured, spitefully.

“What do they have against you?” I probed, wanting to know. I know I shouldn’t keep asking if he doesn’t want to talk about it but curiosity got the better of me.

“You really wanna know?” he asked, his voice sounded sad and low.

“I guess” I replied, I didn’t dare look into his eyes.

“The reason they hate me so much...” he choked up and I lifted my head from his shoulder to look at him in the soft blue glow of the tv.

“Petey, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to...I’m fine with it” I pulled the blanket that had fallen on the floor over me and lay next to him.

“Thanks, Frankie” he replied and closed his eyes.

I tried to watch the movie but my tiredness got the better of me and I fell asleep.

*

“FUCK YOU DUMBFUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! WE LEAVE YOU FOR ONE FUCKING NIGHT AND COME BACK TO THIS!”

I heard shouting. What a wake-up call. Was I still dreaming? I opened my eyes and saw a burly man standing over me. Oh god...what the hell. I swallowed hard, hoping I was still dreaming.

“Who the FUCK are you, you dirty FUCKING FAGGOT!” the man bellowed at me.

“F-F-” I stuttered, trying to say my name.

Then Pete’s voice cut in, “Leave him alone, he has nothing to do with this!”

“Nothing to do with it! You’re sleeping with him in my fucking house you fucking poofta, how the fuck does he have nothing to fucking do with this!” the man shouted stepping closer. I shrunk back wanting to get sucked into the couch.

“Dad, I-” Pete began. The guy, his father, hit him clear across the face. Pete’s not exactly muscular and sent him tumbling to the ground.

“Don’t EVER call me that, I’m not father to a fucking faggot!” the man shouted in clear disgust.

“Well, guess what? You are! Whether you like it or not!” Pete snarled back.
This is why, this is why Pete’s always alone. That’s his dad. Oh, crap.

“Don’t talk to your father like that, you scumbag!” the woman who’d been standing against the wall spat.

“Mom, please-” Pete’s cries turned to whimpers as she grabbed scissors from a nearby bench a cut his arm.

“I’ve had enough of you, get the fuck out you poofter prick and take your fucking boyfriend with ya! I gave you a fucking roof over your fucking boy-loving faggot head and this is how you repay me! Fucking your boyfriend on our couch!” Pete’s dad yelled kicking his curled-up body.

“We weren’t! We just fell asleep, that’s all I swear!” Pete sobbed, blood spitting from his mouth.

“I said get the fuck out now” he pointed to the door. I grabbed Pete by the arm, pulling him from blood-splashed ground.

“Don’t you DARE come back, dirty bastard” his dad continued to shout as we ran out onto the streets.

“Wouldn’t dream of it!” Pete screeched back giving them one last look of hate.

*

--------------------------------
Lyrics in title from Of All
The Gin Joints In The
World
~ Fall Out Boy