Our Last Night

The Sun Would Always Chase the Day

"You're going on tour baby!" My mom shrieked as she hugged me for the tenth time this morning and I've been up hardly ten minutes.
"Mom, I know but you have to let me go because I'm going to be late," I groaned pulling out of her grasp and grabbing my bags. It was currently five in the morning and my dad has informed me that the buses leave at quarter after six and it's about a forty five minute drive to wear we're departing from. Eventually I pulled away from my mom and loaded my things in my pick up. I sighed taking my neighborhood in for the last time in a long time.

"I'm not going to break / until you show me that there's nothing left to prove. / Right now it's your turn to move / and I wanna be there by your side / if only you'd confide. / I used to be the unbreakable, unshakeable but now that's all changed. / I wanna be that girl again; with her heart unbroken. / Too many things left unspoken and it's driving me mad / how much I need you, how much I crave you. / We used to be so right but something didn't fit. / Maybe it was me. / Baby we'll never know anything more / than the feeling that I held for your smile. / I was begging for your voice to confess / anything on your mind / but I guess we got lost in time/ I was so used to being unbreakable, unshakable but now that's all changed. / I wanna be that girl again; with her heart unbroken. / Too many things left unspoken and it's driving me mad / how much I need you, how much I crave you. / Trying to survive so long / with my heart in the rain, left in the dark / waiting for you to have a heart, baby. / But you'll never see how much you mean to me / I wanted you to know that you made me so breakable, so vulnerable; everything I've known has changed. / I wanna be that girl again but my heart's not working. / numb from things left unspoken and it drove me mad / how much I needed you, how much I craved you/ but now we've crossed the line / and I'm doing just fine," I sang at the sound check of my first concert.
"Are you okay?" My bassist, Trevor asked concerned as I wandered towards the side of the stage. I shrugged and gulped down a swig of water.
"I'll be fine, next song let's go!" I clapped my hands forcing enthusiasm to rush through my body.
"One, two, three…" I counted off before beginning on cue, "Grab your coat and let's go / it's time to rock this boat. / The night's still young / and there's a party going on. / We just gotta cue the music / and we can get down right here on the lawn. / Just feel the beat of the music / run through your soul. / Let it pull you in and take control. / We'll be rocking all night long / to the heat of the song. / No worries about tomorrow or the light, that follows. / Don't put up a fight just let it go. / The music's getting louder and all we've gotta do is dance. / Like it's your last chance. / Sing it loud we're never gonna stop / as long as we know that we can. / Feel the beat of the music / run through our soul. / Let it pull you in and take control. / We'll be rocking all night long / to the heat of the song. / No worries about tomorrow or the light, that follows. / Don't put up a fight just let it go. / This is our time to party like a rock star / we don't have to let it go so far. / Just sing out, feel the rhythm on your hips / and in your fingertips. / No regrets as long as you. / Feel the beat of the music / run through your soul. / Let it pull you in and take control. / We'll be rocking all night long / to the heat of the song. / No worries about tomorrow or the light, that follows. / Don't put up a fight just let it go. / Just let it go, let it go," I sang again trying to keep my energy up by running around the stage.
"Very nice Val," I heard an oddly familiar voice compliment from below the other side of the venue. It can't be. There's no way that I'm touring with- shoot, my thoughts rambled on as I braced myself for the revel of my tour mates.
"How are you doing?" The same voice asked only now it came from behind me. I slowly turned to see a good friend from the past.
"Um," I mustered confused like no other. I muttered something along the lines of fine when my manager, Alex, came over.
"Nick Jonas," my friend said shaking Alex's hand.
"Alex Fisher, Val's manager. It's nice to meet you," Alex greeted.
"Kevin and Joe are just finishing some things up on the bus," Nick informed.
"Ah perfect. Well, Val seeing as you already know your tour mates-" Alex began blowing the last straw.
"What- the- hell, Alex," I shouted as anger sweeping over me.
"Whoa, Rora," Nick said trying to calm me down by setting an arm on my shoulder.
"I thought that you'd like being with friends on you first tour," Alex defended himself trying to keep my calm as well.
"And you freaking thought that! Are you freaking kidding me! What the hell!" I snapped at him again.
"Rora, take a deep breath. Everything's all right," Nick said pulling me into him like he used to.
"But I can't- This is so stupid. I'm backing out. I am not doing this. No, this isn't going to work," I finalized pulling from Nick and looking sternly at Alex.
"No you can't do that Val. You as an artist signed a contract made a commitment and you're following through," Alex said simply not backing down an inch. I groaned frustrated and worn from pouring all my emotions that I held in while singing.
"Fine, screw it."

"Well it looks like that's become your new catchphrase," the voice I was hoping to never hear again said bitter.
"Guess it has so, screw you Jonas," I glared, my hands balling into fists at my sides.
"You know you want to," He smirked with an equal glare.
"I swear I will freak-" I lunched toward him only to be held back by Nick.
"You will what?" Joe smirked.
"Joe, stop," Nick said firmly as he held me in his arms attempting to make me stop struggling.
"No, let him continue. Tell me how I freaking ruined your life Joe! TELL ME!" I screamed with wet eyes as I shoved my face into Nick's chest.
"Val, I'm-" Joe began as realization struck him.
"Save it, you suck," I spat but my crying lessened the impact I meant for my words to have. I gently tore away from Nick and headed somewhere in the general direction of my tour bus.

"Hey, hey wait up," Nick said softly as he fell into step at my side. I stopped right there in the middle of the deserted parking lot.
"I'm sorry Nick," I told him so quietly that I barely knew if I had said it.
"Shh, its okay, Rora; We all break sometimes and Joe didn't help anything," he comforted hugging me.
"But it must have looked so bad to the crew and everyone," I sighed.
"Our crew knows that there's tension and well now so does yours. It is all right," he said smoothing my hair.
"Why do you always know how to make me feel less horrible?" I asked with a small chuckle.
"I don't know," he shrugged after thinking for a moment which made me laugh again.
"I've missed my bud," I sighed.
"I've missed you too," he laughed a bit.
"Boy, I've created a mess…haven't I?" I asked trying not to break down again.
"I'll help you," he nodded confidently.
"Haha thanks, I'll owe you like heaps," I smiled.
"Yeah you will, just kidding," he returned before suggesting we go back into the venue.
"You still have to finish your sound check," he reminded when I tried to run back towards the buses. I could feel all eyes on me when we reappeared on the stage. I groaned inwardly and sighed as Nick smiled at me trying to convince me it was going to be fine.
"So let's run that last song? Sound good?" I asked Trevor whom I was closest to out of everyone in my band.
"Yeah, let's do it because I'm hungry," Trevor laughed pulling the strap to his bass over his head.
"Nick you have to get off the stage now," I joked and he scoffed mockingly as he sat right there in the middle of the stage. "Or you could sit down…"
"One, two, one, two, three," I counted off as the music played.

"I knew from the start what was going down / but nothing ever made a sound; until. / Until I crashed past everything I've ever known. / Now this is all surreal and the noises are drowning out my thoughts. / All the things they say I can't handle. / All I wanna do is light a candle to all I've ever known. / This is the beginning of the ending / of the story that they wrote. / I'm waiting for my chance to play. / I'm waiting for my chance to say / that I am the one they want. / I'm ready for my dreams to come true. / Even if it means it'll all be new. / I'm gonna give it all that I've got," I sang while practicing my stage movements more. When all of a sudden my ankle made contact with something solid and the next thing I knew my body was toppled over on the ground.
"Rora, are you okay?" Nick asked concerned as Alex and Trevor helped me so I was lying on my back. It was then that I saw my legs were draped over Nick's lap. Meaning that he was the, thing I tripped on.
"Yeah I'm fine," I blinked a few times before attempting to stand up causing a shot of unimaginable pain to ring through my leg.
"Ah," I let out shutting my eyes.
"Maybe it wasn't the best idea to sit there," Joe said harshness set in his voice.
"No, it's fine," I said looking at Nick's remorseful expression, "I'm fine see?" I attempted again bearing the pain as I stood for not even half a second. I groaned as Nick supported my weight.
"I'm really sorry, Roar," Nick apologized.
"Nick, everything's good. Accidents happen, no big," I smiled adding an, "Alex shut it."
"But we have to get you to a doctor so we don't make it any worse, miss stubborn," Trevor said giving me a look.
"I hate doctors, they're creepy," I groaned.
"Suck it up," Trevor laughed winking.
"Fine," I said standing still figuring out how exactly they wanted me to get to the car.
"I'll carry her," Nick offered.
"Nick I'll squash you," I pointed out.
"No you won't," he promised.
"Yes I will. You're not carrying me," I stated.
"Yes, yes I am," Nick said ending the discussion.
"Nope I refuse," I folded my arms.
"You're not gonna squash me, chill," Nick said.
"I'll jump up and down on it if you try to carry me," I shrugged.
"Gosh you're difficult," he groaned.
"I would if I had any muscle, Vals but…" Trevor laughed.
"You don't?" I offered up with a laugh.
"True life," Trevor nodded.
"We need you to get to the hospital now, Val," Alex suggested sternly.
"I'll carry her," Joe put forward cautiously.
"But I'd squash you too," I said simply.
"Not unless you way more than one hundred and sixty five pounds; which I know you don't," Joe shrugged.
"Ugh fine, stupid doctor, stupid breakable bones," I muttered hastily as Joe picked me up bridal style. Awkward does not even begin to cover it.
"How's your ankle?" Nick asked from Joe's side.
"Fine, Nick," I lied.
"Stop trying to make me feel better and tell me it hurts like super bad," Nick grunted.
"It just sort of hurts, all right?" I questioned as Joe lifted me into the car.
"Better," Nick sighed satisfied.
"The tour hasn't even started yet and you hurt yourself," Trevor shook his head from the passenger's seat.
"Shut up," I sighed scowling.
"It's okay we know you're clumsy," Alex joked.
"It's my fault I shouldn't have-" Nick started.
"Shut up, curly," I rolled my eyes.
"Okay, okay," He sighed.
"So Kevin how's it going," I started casually.
"Pretty well, how about yourself?" Kevin answered.
"Better then well earlier… Joe I'm sorry about that. I guess I just lost it," I said looking to my left.
"It's fine besides I acted like a complete jerk; so I'm sorry," Joe returned sincerely.
"Dude I want a Wacky Pack!" I screamed as a sign flashed by on the highway.
"What?" Trevor laughed.
"Sonic, Wacky Packs; the kid meals… I want one, real bad," I whined turning rough only to inflict pain.
"Holy crap, ow Rora," Nick groaned making me stop my complaining for a few seconds to see what he was talking about.
"Oh! I'm so sorry Nick," I apologized sitting up farther once I realized where my feet were resting.
"Nah it's all right," he said slowly.
"No it's not oh man I'm sorry," I said holding back a laugh.
"I'm pretty sure I caused you to break your ankle and all you did was hit me in the crotch with your foot," he laughed slowly. "You don't have to be sorry."
"But I do indeed, I feel bad," I informed.
"Well don't," he said his voice back to normal.
"Whatever," I sighed leaning into the back of my seat.

"So who needs a healthy ankle?" I asked Alex upon leaving the doctor.
"You do, Val. You can't play on crutches," he said simply with a small chuckle.
"But I can still sing," I complained.
"You're not going on stage tonight. Besides the opening act already began," he shrugged.
"They replaced me?!" I shouted before being hushed by a laughing Nick.
"Only for the month and a half that you're going to be out because of that ankle of yours," he told me assuring.
"So you're sending me home?" I asked as Kevin and Joe helped me into the van.
"No, you're staying still since your parents are in Spain," Alex reminded me.
"Oh right that'd make it difficult," I laughed more to myself than anyone else.
"Just a little," Kevin laughed putting on his seat belt.