My Guilty Pleasure

Chapter 7

Part 7

Sarai sighed as she checked out of the Super 8 motel.She didn’t realize how much money she spent on staying there but she wasn’t really worrying about it.She had 2 good jobs that were both paying more than minimum wage.However,her rental room wasn’t stocked with anything that the Super 8 had.The only thing that worked was the lights.However,she did manage to steal an iron,cups,towels, washcloths,soap,shampoo, conditioner and a pillow from the room. She deserved it.

She walked into the room and set her bags down. She really needed to do some shopping. She had some time before she had to pick up Isaiah.She locked up all her things and decided to do some hunting.

Another thing that she learned from Jackie was that not everything hot now is new.Its all been done before.Jackie showed her one of the best kept secrets of shopping, the vintage stores.You can find things cheap,cool and retro.On one of her many walks around Miami,she saw a vintage store that she knew Jackie would love. It was called Very Vintage.

She walked in and forced herself not to go to the girls clothing section and went to the furniture section.As much as she wanted to go to Sears and get the same furniture that Howie had at his house,she knew that she wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Nothing really suited her fancy. Everything was too old and too ugly for her. “Eeeeww”she said when she saw a light blue couch covered in plastic.She would never go that far. Then she saw a navy blue loveseat and it was very comfortable. It was $80.Yep, this was hers now.

“Wicked couch”someone said.She looked up and smiled,”Hey Emilie”

“Sarai right?”she asked with a smile as she sat next to her on the loveseat.

“Yeah,what are you doing here?”she asked her.

“Oh found some killer boots”Emilie said as she held up some bright purple leather knee high boots.”Arent they wicked?”she asked her

Sarai looked at them,they were hot but she wouldn’t wear them.They were too purple for her.They were perfect for Emilie.She had on a hot neon pink tube top with a yellow flower in the middle, a hot neon pink skirt, matching boots and pink and yellow stockings.”They’re perfect for you”

“Yeah and they are only $10”she said,”What a find”she said,”You gonna buy this couch?”

“Yeah”Sarai said,”My place is totally empty”

Emilie looked confused,”Your parents don’t buy the furniture?”

“I don’t live with my parents”Sarai said,”I don’t have any parents.Im on my own”

“Im sorry”Emilie said

“Oh don’t apologize,I didn’t really know them”

“Wait.How do you have your own place?Your only 17”Emilie asked

“Just like how we have the job with Will, that’s the same way I got my place”

“Oh, the whole fake 18 year old ID huh?”Emilie said.”Yeah,I only use mine if its necessary.I still live at home with the parentals.They suck though”They both got off the loveseat to look at it.

“Why arent you in school?”they both asked each other and laughed,”Im skipping”Sarai said

“Me too.I haven’t been there for like a week now”Emilie said.Sarai smiled. Emilie was cool, they both thought alike.”So,what else are you looking for?”

“A bed and anything else that I may need to survive”Sarai said

“I’ll help”she said.And did she help, she helped find a foldout bed, and some blue accessories that would match the blue loveseat such as a lamp, a small throw rug, two butterfly chairs and a navy blue flower beaded “door”.

“I don’t know about the beads”Sarai said,she wasn’t a hippie.

“Oh but its so psychedelic”Emilie argued,”It will make any doorway workable.They can be so boring”she said

“Ok Im gonna take a break”she said,”I gotta get to work”

“You have another job?”Emilie asked

“Yeah I babysit this rich kid during the day”Sarai said

“Wicked”Emilie said.Sarai headed to the cashier.”Your forgetting the couch,hun”

“Im just gonna put it on hold”Sarai said,”I don’t have a car and I have no way to get it to my place”

“It will totally fit in the back of my truck”Emilie said,”I can drive you”

“You sure?”Sarai asked

“Yeah and I wanna see your place”Emilie said.

Sarai ended up spending almost $200.Which was pretty good.They even had two guys,who were staring at them the whole time they were in the store, to help them load everything into Emilies truck.It was an old Toyota truck.”Thanks again Em”Sarai said as she got in the front seat.

“No prob,your helping keeping my secret”Emilie said and winked

“Yeah and you too”Sarai said

“We’re gonna be a great team”Emilie said.They pulled up to the small room for rent,”Cool”she said once she parked.They both got out,”Wheres your landlord?Maybe they can help us-“

“Forget it,hes a bastard”Sarai said.Ever since the day he called her a bitch, she had to stay away from him.No one talks to her that way.Ever.

So the two girls struggled to get the loveseat and everything through the door.When they were done setting things up,the small room adjacent to the kitchen looked like a different room.The doorway to her bedroom looked alright too.The beads did add something to it.

“See?”Emilie said as they looked at the beads,”It totally isn’t the same door anymore huh?”

“Yeah its alright”Sarai said.Even though it was cool looking,she wasn’t gonna admit that she was wrong.

~

Howie sat nervously in the small meeting room.A few weeks after his talk with Katarina, he spent most of his time doing divorce research so he could represent himself and finding a new place.Unfortunately,he was very picky and didn’t find one good enough.He hoped that this divorce settlement was good enough.He wasn’t going to settle for just anything.

“Where is she?”he asked himself

Just then,Katarina walked in and behind her was none other than Phil Wesley.A rival lawyer.He frowned,out of all the lawyers in Miami,she had to pick him?He sighed with frustration.

“Howard”Phil said acknowledging him

“Phillip”Howie said, not wanting him to call him by his real name.

“Wheres your lawyer?”Phil asked

“Im representing myself”he said

“Oh”Phil said,”Well lets get down to business then”

They went through all the legal stuff and then came the “fun” stuff. The prenup and who got what.

“Basically, what my client wants is whats not in the prenup”Phil said for Katarina.She just sat there quietly while the two men dogged it out.”She doesn’t want half of everything like you two agreed on 6 years ago”he said,”She wants the house and her car.That’s all she cares about”he said and smiled at Kat.

Howie saw this.It wasn’t just a normal smile.It was a flirty smile.He knew that Phil liked his wife…..oh scratch that, ex wife.Now he felt that he could go in for the kill huh? This annoyed him even more,”That’s all you care about?”Howie asked her,”So if I wanted full custody of Isaiah,you wouldn’t care about that?”he asked her

Katarina stared at him in disbelief,”You know that’s not what I meant”This was the first time she spoke.

“Tell that to your lawyer,hes supposed to be representing you”Howie said

Phil smirked,“Speaking of the kid-“

“His name is Isaiah”Howie said

“Speaking of Isaiah, Katarina wants him to attend the same elementary school and once you get your own place, he spends the first two weeks with her and then the next two weeks with you and so on.Equal time for both parents”

Howie didn’t really agree with that, but he didn’t have a rebuttal for it. It was gonna be so confusing for Isaiah. “Fine”

“Are you agreeing to the house and the car being in Katarina’s possession?”he asked him

“Yes”he said.Their house was Katarina’s project.She might as well have it.

Soon they were signing the papers.Howie stared at it before he signed it. This is it, once he put his name on the dotted line, he would officially be single. He wouldn’t have a wife to come home to. He looked at Kat and she signed it quickly. Phil smiled at her and she smiled back. He sighed, he lost. He slowly signed his name, he felt like he just sold his soul to the devil.

“Alright, thank you so much for your time Howard”Phil said.Howie didn’t say anything and walked out. He couldn’t take it anymore.

~

Katarina watched Howie walk out the room. She couldn’t believe it, she was no longer Mrs. Dorough. She was back to being a single Ms. Ramirez. It was a relief because she wanted this for a long time but it happened so quick. It was still a shock.

“So, Katarina, now that that’s all over and done with and you got what you wanted, how about we celebrate? How about I take you out to lunch?”Phil asked her

She looked at him with disbelief,”Phil, are you kidding? You just represented me in a divorce settlement and you want to take me out?”she asked him. She couldn’t believe this guy. She started to walk away.

“Ive always tried to tell you sweetheart, I would be so much better than him”he said,”You got my number, call me when you figure that out”he called out to her.

“Whatever”she mumbled as she got into her car and drove off. What a jerk. She turned on her satellite radio to calm her down. She browsed through the stations and then heard an all too familiar song,it was a song that she and Howie danced to at their wedding.

“This goes out to Jennifer and Ben, congrats on your wedding, and we hope you have happiness for the rest of your lives together”the DJ said.

“Thank you”the woman said,she was obviously Jennifer,”Happy anniversary baby I love you”she said and the song started to play.

Katarina knew that she shouldn’t listen to it but she couldn’t turn the channel.

I'll never break your heart I'll never make you cry I'd rather die Then live without you I'll give you all of me Honey that's no lie

Once she heard that chorus,she burst into tears,remembering their wedding day.

*Flashback*

Katarina held Howie close to her as they slow danced. The wedding was beautiful and it went perfect, this was really the most perfect day of her life. She looked into his eyes, lovingly,she could look into his eyes forever,”I love you Howie Dorough”

“And I love you Katarina Dorough”he said to her,”Wow, that feels so good to have your name attached to mine”he said.

“I know”she said,”Im so glad to not be a Ramirez anymore”she said and they both laughed,even though they both wanted to cry with joy.He held her close as they danced, not paying attention to anyone else.

“I’ll never break your heart,I’ll never make you cry,I’d rather die, than live without you.I’ll give you all of me, huney that’s no lie”he sang in her ear.

*End Flashback*

Katarina rushed into the house and ran upstairs. She didn’t want to cry in front of Isaiah, not yet. She and Howie agreed that when they were done with the divorce settlement today that they would both sit down and tell Isaiah everything. However, Howie wasn’t home yet. Thank God, she didn’t want him to see her cry about their wedding day.

She sat on her bed and cried her eyes out though. As much as she tried, she couldn’t stop.However, she heard someone’s voice and she tried to cover it up but didn’t succeed.She looked up and saw Sarai,”Im……sorry……what did…….you say?”she said between sniffles

“Whats wrong?”Sarai asked her

Katarina sighed,she might as well know too.She was a new addition to their households and this divorce would affect her as well.”Um,well Sarai.I need to tell you something.Um…..Howie and I are getting a divorce”she said

Sarai stared at her,shocked.”Actually we are divorced,all we have to do is wait for the paperwork to be final.Howie intends on finding his own place and Isaiah will be there 2 weeks out of every month and for a month and a half over the summer.However,we still will have the same work schedules. I mean if its too much trouble for you to be babysitting Isaiah at two different locations, that’s fine”

“No,that’s ok”Sarai said.”So what happened?He cheated on you?”

Katarina looked at her and laughed a little,the first time she laughed all day,”No….I wanted it.It just hasn’t been working for so long.We arent the same love sick kids we were 6 years ago”

“Im sorry”Sarai said. Half of her really was, Howie was hot. If she was Katarina she would be upset about her loss. But then half of her was happy, maybe she had a chance?

“We are gonna tell Isaiah today”Katarina said,”God,I don’t wanna break his heart”she said.Before Sarai could say anything,Howie walked into the room,”Oh just letting you know that Im home-I mean…..here”he said

“You ready?”Katarina asked him

“Yeah,lets get it over with”he said sadly.

~

Sarai went downstairs. Isaiah was watching Shrek. She walked over and paused it.”Sorry kiddo, your mom and dad wants you”she said

“Ok”Isaiah said and ran upstairs.He went to their room and saw his parents sitting on the bed,he noticed that his mommy has been crying and his dad was close to it,”Mommy whats wrong?”he asked as he climbed on the bed with them.

“Mommy’s sad that’s all”she said to him.”Huney,we have to tell you something important”she said.”Your father and I are getting a divorce”she said. Isaiah stared at them blankly

“Whats that?”he asked

Katarina couldn’t answer.”It means that Mommy and I arent married anymore”Howie said,”We fight too much and we realize that we would both be happier if we were just friends.We are still your Mommy and Daddy but things will be different from now on”

“Different?”he asked

“Yes, your father isn’t going to be living here anymore”Katarina said,”But you will be able to visit him whenever you want.You can have 2 houses now, 2 bedrooms”she said,trying to make it sound great.

“Why cant you stay here?”Isaiah asked

“Because we arent married anymore.If I stayed, we would only fight more. We don’t love each other anymore.We love you very much”Howie said,”It would be better that I not live here anymore”

“Why cant you sleep in my room?”Isaiah asked

“You need your own room”Howie said

“I don’t want you to leave”he said as tears came to his eyes.

“I have to, or things will get complicated”Howie said,not knowing how else to explain it.This was the hardest thing that he has ever had to do.

“Why cant you stop fighting?”he asked

“Baby,its best for all of us”Katarina said,”We want you to be happy and you cant be happy when we are fighting all the time.So that’s why your father is going to find his own place-“

“No!”he shouted

“Baby please”Katarina said as she reached out to him.But instead he jumped off the bed and ran out the room,”ISAIAH!”she cried.She then burst into tears and ran into the bathroom.Howie sat there and cried as well. He couldn’t believe it, he broke his son’s heart.

~

Sarai got her things together and then opened the door and walked out. She was closing the door behind her when she heard someone call her. She turned around and saw Isaiah running down the stairs. He was crying. He knows.

He ran to her and jumped in her arms and cried into her chest.”Mommy and Daddy arent married anymore!”he cried

Sarai didn’t know what to do or say, so all she did was hold him. She couldn’t cry. She closed the door and sat down on the couch and rocked him as he cried. Then Howie came downstairs. He was crying.

“Isaiah”he said as he tried to hold him.But he held onto Sarai tighter, not wanting to let go of her.She couldn’t get him off of her.

“Sorry”she mouthed to him.

Howie just nodded,”Im sorry you are in the middle of this”he said.She just shrugged. He couldn’t take anymore of Isaiah’s crying and he said that he would be in the next room if Isaiah calmed down.It took awhile. The boy cried for a long time. So long that he soon cried himself to sleep on her shoulder.She got up and slowly carried Isaiah to Howie.

“He cried himself to sleep”she whispered.He nodded and they struggled to transfer him into Howie’s arms without waking him.They succeeded but Sarai’s heartbeat went faster since she was so close to him.She swore that she felt a spark go through her when they touched.

“Thank you for staying with him”Howie whispered,”We really appreciate it. Hopefully he will understand, one day he will understand”