Clash Of The Rockbands

Missing Them

One Year Later

I sank onto the couch and seized the remote off of the coffee table. I switched the television on and checked the channel: Fuse. I decided to keep it on there and listen to someone else’s music for a change.

There are two words I can use to describe the past year: IT SUCKED. The date was May 16. It had been exactly one year since we arrived back home. And the year since then had been possibly the worst year of my life.

Once I could relax a little bit, the whole gravity of what happened on that stupid tour hit me. I had the time to realize how much I truly missed James. I missed him like the polar bears miss the ice. I felt my heart break; a crack now runs right down the middle of it. I barely attempted to stitch it up. What would the use be? I knew I had the option of dating again, but I knew that no one would be able to replace James. I’d pretty much doomed myself to a life of being single, unless a really great guy came along. But I don’t have that good of luck sometimes.

I think all the other girls feel the same way about their respective dude. But we all hide it from each other anyway. We put on a façade of happiness everyday that we all know is totally fake; we curse our ex-boyfriends’ names all the time, but deep down inside, I know each of us still love them. Pain like this can only be felt when you still love the person you know you should hate.

The show on the television came back on after commercial. I felt shocked when I saw the music video for Afterlife begin. But instead of switching the channel, like I should have done, I just left the remote where it was and decided to torture myself. As I watched the music video, a horrible sadness flowed through my veins. I figured out that I missed James so much more than I thought.

And then the music video for Dear God came on. I knew this one would probably have footage of us on there; the video clips had been recorded during that damned tour. And sure enough, just a little bit into the music video, it showed Matt and Jen. This was way before they even started fighting, and Jen’s eyes showed such love for Matt that I instantly knew she still loved him to the day.

I watched in mild fascination at how happy we all looked. I hadn’t seen my girls smile like that in a long time. Then, a clip came up that I remembered still. James was standing with his back to me, facing towards the camera. I stood about ten feet behind him, and I put my finger to my lips to tell the camera operator to stay quiet. Then, I ran forward, obviously to leap onto his back. James suddenly turned around and opened his arms just as I leaped. I slammed into him, wrapping my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck. He coiled his arms around my waist and laughed at the camera. Our lips met, and then the clip switched to something else.

I raised a hand to my lips. The last time I kissed James, I remember feeling nothing. But now, I wanted nothing more than to kiss him again. I wasn’t angry with him anymore. I knew I would feel that pleasant jolt again when he kissed me.

“Zacky is so adorable,” AM said from beside me. I jumped and looked over at her as I lowered my hand. I hadn’t noticed her sit down. She looked over, and she looked as sad as I felt. “How could I have given that sexiness up?” She turned her head back to the television. “I remember his little beard thing would tickle my chin when I kissed him. I miss it!”

“Oh my gosh, Brian’s always tickled my chin too!” Rayne agreed as she stepped into the room. She sank down on the couch beside AM. “I would always stroke it when I got bored. I even threatened to dye it pink if he didn’t get me a glass of water.”

“James’s piercing always poked my chin.” I said. “If we kissed too suddenly, it would sometimes stab me, and that didn’t feel too good.”

“Zacky’s lip rings always felt really cold when he kissed my neck.” AM commented. “And they were cold against my lip when he kissed me too.”

“Matt had no facial piercing and no beard, but he had soft hair.” Jen told us as she walked in. She squeezed in between Rayne and AM. Bat Country was playing now. “I would always run my hand through his hair. He never cared.”

“They have shiny sunglasses,” Rayne commented. “I wonder if they polished those suckers.”

“She notices the sunglasses,” AM muttered, “but she doesn’t notice the scantily clad whores dancing around them.”

“Those bitches!” Rayne snapped instantly. “Whores! Skanks!” We all laughed weakly. We didn’t laugh a lot anymore. I missed laughing, actually.

“Honeys, I’m home!” Kim’s voice rang from the parlor.

“We’re in the living room!” Rayne called. Seconds later, Kim skidded into view outside the living room. She stepped into the room with a grin, leading Johnny by a hand.

“Aww, are my sisters unhappy?” she cooed, her grin fading as she saw our sad faces. With a sigh, she released Johnny’s hand and lay across all our laps. “Is it the bastards again?”

“Hey, those are my best friends you’re talking about,” Johnny said as he sat down in one of the armchairs.

“They broke my sisters’ hearts,” Kim retorted because that gave her instant permission to call them whatever she wanted. “Oh, why are you guys watching this? This is torture.” She’d caught sight of what was on the television.

“But I miss him,” all four of us whined in unison. That was the first time we’d admitted out in the open how much we still missed them. Kim looked sympathetic.

“Guys...” she began with a sad frown. “I’m sorry you can’t seem to find your Prince Charmings!” She dragged all four of us into a hug. “I feel guilty now for having mine!”

“Don’t be,” we all consoled her. “We’re glad you found someone!”

“Thanks,” Kim replied, pulling away. “You guys are so sad, though. I want you all to be happy! I’ll bring in the strippers if I need to.” She sounded serious when she said that.

“No,” we all said quickly, shaking our heads. “That’s fine. We’ll get over it.”

“It’s May 16, anyway,” I told her. “Exactly a year after we got home. We’re going to be a little sadder than usual today.”

“Oh,” Kim replied. She got out of our laps, only to sit in Johnny’s.

“Do you remember when I stole Zacky’s cigarettes and executed them?” AM asked out of the blue. “We had a funeral for them, remember? I even said a eulogy for them!” We all nodded. I remembered that day clearly.

“He still doesn’t smoke,” Johnny told her. “I thought maybe he would if the stress got to him, but he doesn’t.”

“I remember when we played Chicken in the pool, before Matt and Jen and Rayne and Syn were even together.” I commented. “And AM kicked all our asses.”

“I always do that,” AM replied. We all laughed that weak laugh again, only it didn’t sound so weak anymore.

We continued to recall fun moments we’d had with Avenged Sevenfold—most of them happening before the tour. In a little while, we were all laughing and smiling like normal. It felt amazing. I knew it was because we were talking about our men. Even just talking about them made us so much happier. I think all of us missed them more than we realized.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I changed the Dear God music video.

Deal with it.

Please.

Comments?