Status: COMPLETED!

Shatter

Great Escapes and Forbidden Lovers

I lowered the slab next to me until it was just high enough for me to climb on. I pulled myself up onto it, and held my hand out for Milana to join me.

Her eyes widened, and she wordlessly shook her head.

“C’mon, it’s not that scary up here.” After a few moments of her just staring at me, I sighed and nodded to Ben, who promptly grabbed her waist and lifted her tiny frame onto the slab with ease. I noticed his hands lingered a bit on her waist before withdrawing, and I rolled my eyes.

What a pervert.

Milana, however, didn’t seem to mind. In fact, she was blushing and giggling like a teenage girl who’d just seen her favorite male star on television. Then she seemed to realize she was on the slab with me, and her expression changed from delight to fear, and clutched at the piece of ceiling like it was her life-line.

Meanwhile, a small silver fox scampered up onto the slab amidst Milana’s mini panic attack, running up my leg and settling on my head, and made contented sounds there. I laughed, removing Matic from my hair and opting to hold him in the crook of my arm instead.

“You guys go on ahead; I’ll catch up.” Ben said casually. I nodded, knowing that he’d need more time than Matic to shift.

“Get ready!” I called to Milana, turning the slab until we faced the arched window. Tristan tensed next to us. I gave no warning, using my mind to propel the slab forward, and it went eagerly, taking off at an intense speed. Milana screamed, and I slowed us down slightly in response. I glanced to the side, and noticed that Tristan was matching our speed effortlessly. The window was approaching rapidly, and I sped up again, clutching Matic to my chest. Milana wasn’t making things any easier for me; she was screaming at the top of her lungs again. I focused and as soon as the time was right, I launched the slab into the air, soaring above the ground and out the window, sending us outside and into the unknown. Tristan had jumped at the exact time I launched us into the air, landing next to us gracefully.

Here was the tricky part. From here on out, I’d have to dodge trees and still manage to keep us on the slab. I slowed to a stop, then turned and offered my hand to Milana. She accepted my offer eagerly, wrapping her arms around me to help her keep her balance.

I looked down to check on Matic. He seemed fine, his face turning up towards mine and giving me a sly grin (which I’d have to ask about later).

I looked for Michael and saw him shoot out of the destroyed arch window, on a slab similar to mine. A massive wolf followed suit soon after, landing nimbly on its paws and giving me a wolfish grin.

I gaped at the enormous, dark brown -- dark enough to the point where the fur looked almost black -- wolf, then tentatively asked, “Ben?”

He barked in response.

I looked into those familiar violet-blue eyes and knew. “All right. Hang on, Milana!” I felt her grasping my middle instinctively, and took off into the trees.

~*~

Ember waited at the doorway to Lady Topaz’s room. After a few moments of indecision, she knocked hesitantly at the door, then entered. She peered into the eerily dark room. Shadows of unknown objects littered the room. “You called for me?” She called into the darkness.

A fist connected with her stomach, taking her breath away and forcing her to her knees, gasping for air. A pair of muscular arms lifted Ember off the ground, and she was met with Rafael’s pitch-black and Adam’s bright green eyes.

Topaz had recruited the best of the best to be her bodyguards.

The trembling girl sucked in a shaky breath, anticipating another blow. Instead, Topaz’s voice purred, “Easy, boys. I’ll handle this.” The men moved to Ember’s sides, still grasping her arms.

“Tell me, Ember: why do you continue to fail me?” Her voice floated over to Ember, the sickeningly sweet sound stirring up feelings of dread within her heart. Topaz moved from within the shadows, coming nearer to Ember’s shaking form, her expression arranged in what seemed to be a kind smile. Yet, with one glance into Lady Topaz’s eyes, Ember could tell that her Lady was full of animosity.

Her hands blurred, moving too fast for Ember’s eyes to comprehend. She did feel the pain, though. One particularly stinging blow went to her face, the others being delivered to the rest of her body. Lady Topaz was hitting anywhere that she could get to in her blind fury.

And then, something in Ember snapped. Something that made her decide that she was not going to be treated like a dog who’d just misbehaved, and especially not when she’d done nothing wrong. Ember’s power surged up within her, grasping a nearby vase and lifting it into the air. It trembled under Ember’s immense power, threatening to shatter.

The bodyguards noticed this and took immediate action. Adam let go of Ember’s arm and tackled Lady Topaz to the ground, shielding her with his body. Rafael delivered a bone-crushing blow to Ember’s ribs, snapping a few of them. She gasped, tears running down her face, and bit her lip to keep from screaming. the vase fell to the floor, intact. It rolled loyally towards Ember. A trickle of blood spilled out of her lip, and then Adam was right in front of her. His eyes, usually a bright green, had darkened. He gazed hungrily at the bead of blood before Rafael slammed him into the wall. Adam snarled, his eyes locked on Ember. Ember couldn’t break his gaze, her mind flashing back to another vampire she knew. Another round of tears spilled over, and an anguished cry escaped from her lips.

Topaz rose from her position on the floor. “So you miss your little vampire, do you?” She asked Ember indifferently, examining her nails. “Well, he’s betrayed me. Betrayed you.” She gazed into Ember’s chocolate-brown eyes now, staring hard. “He went off with Peridot, the girl you failed to kill.”

A growl rose in Ember’s throat at the mention of Peridot, and Topaz smirked. “If you want your miserable, insignificant existence to continue, you will exterminate Peridot, along with all her little followers.” Ember started to protest, when Topaz put a finger to her lips. “Oh, and you can keep your beloved as a pet. Just make sure that this time,” Topaz’s finger burned against Ember’s lips, “this time, you will not fail me. Understand?” Topaz gave a harsh and unforgiving smile.

Ember nodded. Adam’s snarls were still resonating throughout the room. “You may assemble a team to help you track them down. Now, get out of my sight.” She pulled her finger away, but brought back a fist souped up with a whirlwind, sending Ember flying backwards. Her body soared through the air, breaking through the closed door and into the hallway. Splinters of wood covered her huddling form. Several passing servants and bodyguards glanced over at the noise curiously, then quickly resumed their tasks.

“Rafael, take Adam to the dungeons. he can quench his thirst on some of the prisoners.” Lady Topaz ordered, looking bored and as if this situation happened every day. “Oh, and tell Flynn to fill in for Adam while he’s ‘out’.” Rafael nodded, dragging Adam out of the room.

Topaz sighed, and examined the cast on her left arm. A wave of anger swelled before she repressed it, and she sighed. She walked to the back of the room, and upon seeing her easel with an unfinished canvas, she took up her paints and brushes and resumed painting.

Ember laid on the floor, unmoving. She recognized Topaz’s threat, but felt no emotion. Her pain was ignored as well. She just concentrated on the fact that she’d get to see him again. After what seemed like hours, she rose to her feet and made her way down the hall, stumbling every few steps. Assembling a team was first on her to-do list.

Topaz heard footsteps and paused her painting, closing her eyes. “Flynn.” She breathed, and turned to meet him.

He closed the distance between them, enveloping her in his arms. “Topaz.” He murmured in her ear.

She shivered and disentangled herself from his arms, taking a few steps back. “The door’s open.”

“More like destroyed.” He chuckled, and gave her a knowing look. “And?”

Flynn’s bleach-blonde hair and pearl-like eyes shone out, even in the dimly lit room. She averted her eyes from his. “You know deals only go down behind closed doors.”

Flynn sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “You weren’t always this way, Topaz. What happened to the old you?”

“She died.” She said quietly. They stood there, both of their faces void of any emotion. Suddenly, Topaz looked back at him, a desperate glint in her eyes. “You know I still love you, right?”

He smiled softly. “Of course.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD! (once again lmao)
ughhhh.... senior year has really been kicking my butt. I'm sorry for leaving you guys, and I hope you can forgive me. :/
I hope you enjoyed the final chapter! I'm posting the sequel pronto!