Status: COMPLETED!

Shatter

Can Someone Say Egotistical?

Instantly, we were met with voices of scattered conversations. I automatically stiffened, remembering the last time I was here.

“Relax,” Tristan whispered, sensing my unease. “Try to smile. It’ll all be over soon.”

I smiled weakly at his attempt to cheer me up, but on the inside, I was about to go on a rampage and slaughter everyone in my path.

I’d have to keep my temper in check.

That was when I saw Pazzi. She was sitting on a throne.

Can someone say egotistical?


I giggled, and Tristan gave me a confused look. “She’s sitting on a throne.” I pointed to Pazzi and openly laughed out loud. I felt Tristan chuckle beside me.

We walked down the center aisle, and the men who were talking silenced.

“Wow, Peridot. You’re such a crowd killer.” Tristan joked and lightly elbowed me in the ribs. I laughed again, almost too loud. Pazzi noticed my laughter and threw a glare my way. But I was having too much fun to care.

Huh. Imagine having fun when you’re about to be sold off.

Tristan and I reached the main stage, where guards were waiting for us. I saw something shiny in their hands, and peered over to see what it was. One of the guards grinned maliciously and showed me a pair of handcuffs.

“Hell no.” I said and tried to turn around to leave. Before I could even make a full turn, I felt a pricking sensation in my arm. I glanced over, slightly curious, when I saw the syringe sticking out of my arm, empty.

“You f---” I started, but then felt happy all of a sudden. I looked at Tristan. “I want cookies.” I said dreamily.

Tristan’s face was a mix between exasperation and pain. He turned to the guards. “You didn’t have to give her that. I could’ve convinced her to behave without the help of medication.”

“Why is there a dancing pig on your head?” I asked Tristan, too preoccupied with the dancing pig to notice the guards’ laughter.

“You don’t have a high drug tolerance, do you?” Tristan asked, half amused.

“Nope!” I chirped. “Mom says --”

And then I stopped, really depressed all of a sudden.

“Mom....” I whispered.

“Someone grab her! It’s her turn!” I vaguely heard someone call. Hands came from nowhere, grabbing and pulling me roughly around until I was situated in a chair, staring at the crowd of men. I spotted Tristan’s, Ben’s, and -- to my surprise -- Matic’s and Michael’s faces in the crowd. Spasms of fear ran through me.

I might not get to see them ever again.

Just like Mom and Dad.


That single thought snapped me out of the haze the Valium had created.

No. Irefuse to leave them. Even though we’ve only been together for a couple of days, Iknow we have some kind of special connection.

“Sold! For 3.2 million, to buyer number forty-three!” The familiar British guy announced.

It felt like something broke within me. Somewhere, a boundary had been overstepped, and I was not taking any crap anymore. My mind was clear, and I could feel power running through my veins.

“For the last damn time, I am not for sale!” My voice rose to a shout. I stood up and my mind shattered the chair I’d been sitting in. Splinters went flying everywhere. Some guys started to leave, while guards raced toward me, armed with more syringes. My mind reacted upon instinct again, but this time the huge arch window behind me shattered into millions of pieces. The shards of the window implanted themselves into the guards, which then caused them to fall to the ground, motionless.

Mass chaos ensued. Most men were now sprinting for the exits, while some were fighting the crowd to get to the stage.

“Peridot!” I heard Michael yell. “Behind you!

I twirled and blocked a punch thrown by no one other than Pazzi herself. Somehow, she had snuck up behind me.

“How dare you ruin my show!” She shrieked. “Now I won’t get my money!”

That only added fuel to my rage-filled fire.

My mind reached out to her and snapped something in half. She screamed, and I focused on what I’d just broken.

Horrified, my mouth dropped open.

Pazzi grasped her arm, which was currently flopping around, bone sticking out of her skin. It was a disgusting sight to behold.

Then Pazzi’s mouth formed into a malicious grin. “It’s about time you showed your true colors, Peridot.” Blood trickled down her now useless arm. “How about this: join me, and together we can lay siege upon the earth. Together,” Her grin broadened, and I repressed a shiver. “together, we could conquer the world.”

I couldn’t help it. I burst into laughter.

Her eyes narrowed. “What’s so funny?”

“That was so freakin’ corny.” I managed to gasp out between laughs.

She frowned. “I’m perfectly serious, though.”

My laughter subsided and I shook my head at her. “Pazzi, Pazzi, Pazzi.” I mimicked. “You’re being a complete and total idiot.”

She lunged at me as soon as the words were out of my mouth, and I twirled to the side and took a step back, putting some more space between us. “How easily you forget that I’ve never wanted anything to do with this vile, disgusting company.” My eyes hardened as I realized my next point. “Just like how I don’t want anything to do with you.”

A flash of something she didn’t recognize flew through her eyes. But I knew exactly what it was, having had my fair share of it over the time I’d spent here.

Pain. I’d finally managed to twist a knife into her heart, and yet I felt a small twinge of guilt.

The moment passed, and neither of us said anything. Suddenly, I felt the ground shaking to my left. A rift appeared next to me, and I smirked. Pazzi wasn’t able to concentrate with the pain shooting up her arm, so her powers were now useless.

She growled, coming to the same conclusion I did, and retreated to find her bodyguards, never showing her back or breaking eye contact. “Peridot, you will never become as strong or as ruthless as me. You’re nothing without me.” She taunted.

“Oh, I’ll become strong, all right. Stronger than you could ever imagine. Strong enough to defeat this entire organization. Just you wait!” I shouted after her, knowing I’d won this one.

Then the whole ground started to shake, and the ceiling started chucking parts of itself at everyone. I stole a last glance at Pazzi, and she looked honestly terrified. She hadn’t meant to cause an earthquake.

I felt a touch on my arm and twirled, meeting Michael’s somber gaze. “You need to leave. Now, before she kills you.”

“Same to you.” I retorted. “This place is killing you, Michael. I can see it in your eyes.” He looked away, as if ashamed. “You’re better than this.”

He smiled softly. “Peridot, I have nowhere else to go.”

More pieces of ceiling fell and shattered around us.

“So? Neither do I.” I placed my hand on his arm. “Come with me.”

His eyes widened. “If she ever found out --”

I knew all too well who she was, having just finished a battle of sorts with her. I snorted. “Please. She has more important things to deal with other than a runaway doctor. For instance,” I gestured at the rubble around us, “she’s gotta do some serious remodeling soon.”

He grinned and nodded. “All right, I’ll come with you.”

“Same here.” Tristan appeared out of nowhere and I jumped in surprise. He chuckled. I peered around him and saw Matic, Ben, and even Milana.

“Count me in.” Ben grinned.

Matic just smiled his enigmatic smile at me, while Milana ran up and threw her arms around me, hugging my neck. “I said I wouldn’t leave you, remember?”

I started to tear up at her words, and she let go, a kind expression on her face.

A loud CRACK made me refocus, my mind reaching out and stopping a huge slab of ceiling hat was heading straight for us in midair.

“And that, ladies and gentlemen, is our cue to leave.” Ben said, staring in awe at me.

I grinned, looking around at all of them. “Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh wow. There's only two chapters left!?
Holy cow.
(haha. it rhymed. xD)
You better stick around. It only gets more and more interesting as we go. :]
Mwuah.<3
~Chez