Break Down

02

I guess I spoke too soon because my first class was Biology… biology seems useless to me I mean who would want to learn about plants or animals and how they grow? I just cant stand it…

I went in the room and sat on an empty table. I noticed that being the new kid was kinda embarrassing. People just keep staring at you like you’re some kind of alien. Five minutes later, the teacher came in and started the class.

“I see we have a new face here. Why don’t you introduce yourself miss.” The teacher said looking straight at me and no one else.

“Umm…hi… My name is Heather Barakat” I said and everyone laughed.

This is what I hate about the first day. Everyone makes fun of you when you say something like your really funny last name. I blame my dad for that. He gave it to me and walked out on us. I saw everyone laugh except for one guy. He was just staring at me. I looked away and sat down. I didn’t dare look back.

“This class needs to learn about respect…I’m sorry about that Miss Barakat was it?” the teacher said and I nodded

“But I can’t talk about that now because we have to start with our lesson…” the teacher continued but I couldn’t decipher the rest because I was too preoccupied with my thoughts.

Class was finally over. I kept my things, got up and walked to my locker. I had a fifteen minute break so I dilly dallied in the corridor. Once I found my locker, I noticed that the guy from class owned the locker beside mine.

“Hey” the guy said.

“Hi…thanks for not laughing about my last name in class.”I said feeling kinda stupid.

“I didn’t think there was anything to laugh about. By the way, my name is Jake, Jake Johnson” he said.

“Its nice meeting you Jake. I’m Heather”

“Ya, I heard because I pay attention unlike you who zoned out of class this morning” Jake said being obnoxious

“Whatever. I zoned out because I hate biology. Hell I hate school”

“Then why do you go to school if you hate it so much?”

“Because I don’t have a choice unlike my brother.”

“He doesn’t go to school?”

“Ya coz he graduated already”

“I see”

“Unlike him, he rushed school to pursue his music career.”

“He’s in a band? Which one?”

“The band’s called All Time Low. They don’t have a record label yet but they’re going to I think.” I said checking the clock.

“Shit. I’m late for my next class.” I said locking my locker.

“What’s your next class?” Jake asked.

“Trig with Mr. Barker” I said walking away

“Ok I’ll see you at the caf at lunch!” Jake shouted from across the hall.

I think this will be an interesting school year…